Great British Bake Off

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tashy, the person who left was plain poor last night, I'm trying to avoid spoilers here for anyone who hasn't seen it yet. Ageism has nothing to do with it, it just was not their week. They did well on previous weeks but this one caught them out. I had that person in our office sweep but even I was saying they had no option.

I know people, particularly on social media, love a conspiracy but most of the time there isn't one. This is one of those occasions.

I agree with you about the young lad. Next week could be a real banana skin though so anyone could go. Who will have had experience of making Japanese bakes?

my ageism comment was firmly tongue in cheek in response to last weeks eviction when colour was mentioned on Twitter.

Talking of twitter which am not on, appears it has gone into meltdown over the term of Gypsy Tart. May I suggest we use in future
Peg selling, park anywhere, leave loads of rubbish when you have gone, travellers tart. ?
re Manchester tart, we could rename that Covid Tart. ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
my ageism comment was firmly tongue in cheek in response to last weeks eviction when colour was mentioned on Twitter.

Talking of twitter which am not on, appears it has gone into meltdown over the term of Gypsy Tart. May I suggest we use in future
Peg selling, park anywhere, leave loads of rubbish when you have gone, travellers tart. ?
re Manchester tart, we could rename that Covid Tart. ?
Apologies, slow on the uptake today :rolleyes:

I'm not on twitter either. I see a couple of other posters have mentioned that phrase. Who are they / you talking about? edit - just googled it. I really am not on form today :rolleyes:

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
She had to go but I really liked her attitude. She kept plugging away and was very gracious in defeat. Is the Gypsy Tart fuss really happening??!!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On the subject of Japanese baking, I expect that they will do some sort of steamed bun. I have done these once before and they are quite tricky with a fair few processes but worth it in the end. Other than that, no idea what they will do

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On the subject of Japanese baking, I expect that they will do some sort of steamed bun. I have done these once before and they are quite tricky with a fair few processes but worth it in the end. Other than that, no idea what they will do

Nearest I have eaten to that was a Chinese Moon cake In a Chinese cafe in San Francisco Last year. It stuck to the roof of my mouth and a swear there’s still a bit there. On the way out the owner asked if we enjoyed it. I said it was “ Claggy”. He said “thankyou very much”. When we got outside Missis T nearly changed her underwear laughing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My bet is on Shokupan, a very soft white bread with a particular method and probably some sort of Sando which have become highly fashionable in Japan in recent years. Yes, sandwiches, basically.

Also some form of egg and rice cakes. There are quite a few desserts and puddings in Japan that qualify as baking. Eggs are used a lot, with various processes of starchy ingredients to make cakes, puddings and sweets that look and taste amazing but I haven’t a clue what they’re called. All I know is I ate a lot of them when I was in Tokyo!

A common theme of Japanese baking is a requirement for the artful presentation of complex processes with superb attention to detail. It’s going to make gloriously bad bakers of them all and I can’t wait.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Far better last night than I expected. Sad to see who left but the judges had little choice in the end. No bad bakers left and one tiny slip and you are gone now.

Can't say the technical tempted me to either eat them or try making them but it tests the bakers technically I guess.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
That technical looked grim! Not sure any of the bakes this week had me tempted. Starts to get sad as bakers leave now - they were all very tearful at the end.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A generally weak week, I thought. Not very inspiring bakes or challenges. The steamed bun burgers had me salivating a little though I must admit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Laura messes up again...not sure how she made the final!
She should have gone last week. She has bounced along the bottom for a few weeks now but scraped through each time. She is clearly good but not finals good.

The other two will have to have total disasters for her to win now.

No need for spoiler alerts now. If people are reading this after the event then you have to expect the result will be talked about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can't argue with that. Could have been either one.

Not the greatest final or series, no standout moments really, but a welcome relief from current times.

Thought Matt Lucas worked very well, slipped in effortlessly.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pleased with the winner. Something about David I didn't warm to. He didn't do the usual bake-off thing of helping a fellow baker - seen again tonight when he'd finished and sat eating. Mind you he and Peter were very competitive which again isn't the soft gooey side of the competition I love to see.

I thought Matt Lucas was a bit sort of wooden at first but really found his feet and had me chuckling.

Always sad when another series ends.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a standout series in terms of the baking but none the less a very enjoyable series.

At least nobody got the wooden spoon.

D

Deleted member 16999

Really enjoyed the series tbh, decent mix of characters and would of been happy with either bloke winning.