Great British Bake Off

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Must admit I love it. The idea of having Noel and Matt is genius as to me there is the right amount of comedy, surrealism and seriousness. I'm all in on Peter, the badminton playing accountant from Scotland, he's my favourite. But I do like Lottie who seems to have a great sense of humour mixed with sarcasm.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Matt Lucas has been excellent, fitted in very easily.

Enjoying it so far. Last series they made a mistake of choosing too many weird things to bake that no one knew or would ever try at home. This time the bakes, except showstoppers, are all things you might try at home.

Who rattled Paul's cage this week? Proper miserable and snappy.

A nice mix this series. There are some consistently good but it is easy to get tripped up if something doesn't suit you.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Generally find Matt Lucas to be very good although when he narrates it sounds like he's talking to a 5 year old.

Noel Fielding is fabulous, absolutely brilliant and funny every week.

Struggle to warm to Pru Leith. I find her quite condescending whereas Mary Berry was encouraging like an old Aunt.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see twitter is losing its mind over last nights eveiction.
The girl served up a raw cake for goodness sake!!
I believe that is race related isn't it?

Week 1 - The woman messed up each bake. It wasn't even close that she was going
Week 2 - Mak. The wrong man went, it should have been Rowan
Week 3 - Rowan - The right man went, 1 week too late
Week 4 - As you say, she served raw cake that could not even be tasted. Game over. In Masterchef terms it is like serving raw chicked or fish with a bone in. Everything else is irrelevant at that point.

Twitter does give an awful lot of numpties a platform.

I have Linda and Hermine left in the office sweep. Go ladies (y)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Week 4 - As you say, she served raw cake that could not even be tasted. Game over. In Masterchef terms it is like serving raw chicked or fish with a bone in. Everything else is irrelevant at that point.

I did say as soon as it was raw 'she's gone'. You think it's kind of an automatic disqualification if you do that anyway. And I haven't seen the twitter stuff and to be honest I'm a fully paid up wooly liberal, but to me it was obvious she should go. Think there's a big danger of people not being able to call out poor performance/baking if you get accused of racism if you do it to a non white person. And pretty sure she'd not want any favoritism based just on her race/colour. She had a poor week, so did Lottie but hers was slightly less poor. Don't need to be the fastest runner to escape a bear, only the second slowest etc.

And weirdly enough I agree with all your weekly summaries.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

I'd agree with that, I was suprised that Rowan didnt go in week 2, he was poor.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd agree with that, I was suprised that Rowan didnt go in week 2, he was poor.

Absolutely. Lottie was lucky though! She just needed to be "not as bad as Sura" in the showstopper and Sura's raw cake let her back in!

Interesting that there isn't really a standout yet. Usually by now 2/3 are pulling ahead of the pack.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Pru made the statement in this weeks episode to Lottie, you don't need to be the best this week, you just don't want to be the worst. Paul mocked her for it but she was right

I reckon for the first 4-5 weeks of Bake Off you can play it safe and survive because the weak ones go first followed by those who over extend themselves or just are not good at a particular type of bake, eg bread week, chocolate week etc. Get through those early weeks in the middle of the pack and then grow into it.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think Pru made the statement in this weeks episode to Lottie, you don't need to be the best this week, you just don't want to be the worst. Paul mocked her for it but she was right

I reckon for the first 4-5 weeks of Bake Off you can play it safe and survive because the weak ones go first followed by those who over extend themselves or just are not good at a particular type of bake, eg bread week, chocolate week etc. Get through those early weeks in the middle of the pack and then grow into it.

Tis a basic principle of any multi round competition that you look to cruise along in the pack during the early stages. How often on Strictly do you see someone looking a likely winner early on in the series only to fade as they cant maintain the same standard or the attention becomes too much?

As a famous Hurling coach in Ireland once said: there's only one time to be ahead: at the final whistle.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love Bake Off. Matt Lucas not quite right for me but hopefully he'll settle in. It does seem like he's trying too hard and not quite getting the right niche as yet.

Lottie is great but want to shake her - if the bread is sticking up out of the pan on both ends it needs sorting not baking!

There is always one who I don't warm too and this time round it's Dave. Seems too intense and too competitive for my liking. The beauty of the show is that the competition is usually secondary to being decent human beings who help others when struggling. It's just darned nice and he wants it too much - or at least shows that too much and openly!

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
never watch it myself, i just don't get the attraction of watching someone make cakes

Call me a sadist, but it's watching people completely mess up that I like to watch. Could be baking, could be golf, but I find it very entertaining when it happens:)

Last edited by a moderator: