Great article - and so so true!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'm sure it would be, but how many actual examples of this are there?

As a pair I've been on the receiving end of a game like that. Equally, as Imurg asked, I've done it to a scratch handicapper. Being 5 under off 4 meant an early finish. It happens.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Do you play any club scratch or handicap events, matches or strokeplay?

Entered winter league this year, giving 90%. My partner is scratch, played two lost two.

Two fantastic games, two loses but great company.

Summer handicap stuff I'll not bother with tbh, will concentrate on medal golf and Open competitions.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Why should someone who hasn't put in hours and hours of dedication and practice be allowed an equal chance to win? I don't get this mentality.

Will a brand new F1 driver be given a 10 lap start?

Will darts give you extra arrows or allow you to stand closer?
What a crass comment. It's to give those with less ability a chance to compete. Take away the handicaps & you get the same 2% winning everything.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
As a pair I've been on the receiving end of a game like that. Equally, as Imurg asked, I've done it to a scratch handicapper. Being 5 under off 4 meant an early finish. It happens.

I'm not saying it doesn't but it's extremely rare, a) for two 5 handicappers to be 5 under gross through 14 holes and b) for another pair (handicaps unknown) to still beat them.

As has been repeatedly said, it's easier for higher handicappers to have an unrealistic handicap (through improvement or other means) than for a lower handicap to do the same, but that's not the topic under discussion here.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nobody is forced to enter either though?
Reading all the posts, the issue is not the format it’s the doubts over peoples handicap.
Facts back up the point it’s not the format, how many genuine players would lose if it went back to 3/4’s?
I agree it’s the people who have very generous handicaps .
Nothing can really be done about that unless you start calling them out.
If you get beat you get beat,

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought this discussion was about matchplay, how do you get cut in matchplay ??
Sorry, I didn't realize the complaints are restricted only to matchplay. It strikes me as strange that people would think that giving shots is unfair in matchplay but ok in stroke play.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All this talk of 90% I'd have thought you'd have been able to work out the lower handicap players handicap but apparently not.
I read your post as an indicative single situation....

"I recently played with an 11 handicapper who would have received 6 shots from me if we were playing matchplay, he'd have absolutely spanked me and I had a run of being 3 under for 14 holes"

Reading it again I can't see it any other way.

Which would have been 100%...11- 6 = 5

Hence comment (which wouldn't have changed for a 4 anyway)

User20204

Visit site
I read your post as an indicative single situation....

"I recently played with an 11 handicapper who would have received 6 shots from me if we were playing matchplay, he'd have absolutely spanked me and I had a run of being 3 under for 14 holes"

Reading it again I can't see it any other way.

Which would have been 100%...11- 6 = 5

Hence comment (which wouldn't have changed for a 4 anyway)

My apologies, is it 100% in singles ? My comment was in thinking 90% of the difference being 6 shots.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Someone like Duncan or Colin or Rulefan will correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that the allowance was increased from 75% to 90% because the stats showed that it probably should be 100% but the powers that be realised they wouldn't get away with that.
Well under WHS you get your full Course Handicap in Matchplay so if it stays at 90% of the difference the impact will be diminished.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under WHS you get 95% in individual strokeplay/stableford and matchplay 100%
Under CONGU you get 100% in both.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What a crass comment. It's to give those with less ability a chance to compete. Take away the handicaps & you get the same 2% winning everything.

Crass?

Reality. Fact. Honesty.

No other sport promotes mediocrity and thinks everyone should have an equal chance regardless of ability.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sorry, I didn't realize the complaints are restricted only to matchplay. It strikes me as strange that people would think that giving shots is unfair in matchplay but ok in stroke play.
In strokeplay you can lose all your shots and possibly more on one hole.
In matchplay you just lose the hole.
There is a big difference.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Still pushing the mediocrity mantra after 5 pages..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you don't like it don't play.

I don't think the mediocrity point is valid anyway. Those that want to improve practice and have lessons and those that see golf as a hobby are happy to go out, play and take it as it comes

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Still pushing the mediocrity mantra after 5 pages..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

If you don't like it don't play.

I don't think the mediocrity point is valid anyway. Those that want to improve practice and have lessons and those that see golf as a hobby are happy to go out, play and take it as it comes

What have I said that isn't true?

Also in the 5 pages" please quote where I've said I don't like it???