Great article - and so so true!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Large proportion ? Really ? I think it’s actually a very small proportion, a very small minority

As for begrudging others - have a read back through your posts on just one subject and your attitude towards higher handicaps is quite clear.

Again what have I begrudged anyone?

My attitude is golf is flawed, the system of handicaps is manipulative and it's going to get worse. Certain people will love this.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Do that over a period of 3 weeks your handicap is rising.

In a system where you can shoot a 75 and rise because it knocks out a72 which is currently your 20th round I'd say it's flawed but hey ho the golf authorities the world over say it's the bee's knees.

I find it very hard to believe that golf authorities all over the world have not flocked to your door for you to come up with the ideal solutions to all issues.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I find it very hard to believe that golf authorities all over the world have not flocked to your door for you to come up with the ideal solutions to all issues.

I don't wear a blazer or smell of urine. That probably counts against me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In a system where you can shoot a 75 and rise because it knocks out a72 which is currently your 20th round I'd say it's flawed but hey ho the golf authorities the world over say it's the bee's knees.

My score 20 rounds ago is unlikely to be very relevant to my last one! In my case. that would be one posted 5 months ago! Even playing every day it would be from 3 weeks ago. The 'average of best 8 from last 20' is a much more reliable metric imo.

Btw. For the case you mentioned, the Index rise is marginal (.375 = .4) so handicap would only change on pretty tough courses or in a similar way to crossing the ..4 to n.5 boundary as now!

D

Deleted member 15344

You want figures - you do the research and come back to me, I give honest opinions based on what I witness.
How many have you witnessed then and what did you do about it ?

It is interesting to see that you are witnessing this - everyone just has the odd suspicion about people - but to be able to find someone with full blown proof , groundbreaking

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think my calculations are correct here. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Here is an example of why match play can differ from stroke or stableford and why full shot allowance can seem unfair.

If I play against my 18 handicap friend. I give him 12 shots which is 90% diff.
If I shoot level par par 41 points.
He shoots 38 points at 16over par. By going on a run of par par bogey triple , par par bogey triple, par par bogey triple. Par par bogey triple, par par.

I would get beat 3 down at my home course.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
My score 20 rounds ago is unlikely to be very relevant to my last one! In my case. that would be one posted 5 months ago! Even playing every day it would be from 3 weeks ago. The 'average of best 8 from last 20' is a much more reliable metric imo.

Btw. For the case you mentioned, the Index rise is marginal (.375 = .4) so handicap would only change on pretty tough courses or in a similar way to crossing the ..4 to n.5 boundary as now!

My scores from 16-20 will more than likely count as I tend to be a streaky player. The new system looks like it will reward the consistent golfer more than a streaky player.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How many have you witnessed then and what did you do about it ?

It is interesting to see that you are witnessing this - everyone just has the odd suspicion about people - but to be able to find someone with full blown proof , groundbreaking

As groundbreaking as flag in not being quicker which you have the proof about.

Amazing eh?

D

Deleted member 15344

As groundbreaking as flag in not being quicker which you have the proof about.

Amazing eh?

Irrelevant deflection -

So how many have you actually witness do it and what did you do about it

D

Deleted member 15344

Am I the only one who couldn't careless about anyone elses handicap ?

Nope you aren’t the only one - imo the majority don’t care about the handicaps of others , it’s always the very small minority of cry about other people’s handicaps , they have prob been beaten a higher handicap at one stage and their ego couldn’t handle it - they prob accuse them of banditry etc etc
I told the teacher Mr Phil. 🙄

Ah normally craw then - lots of hot air and no substance , will look forward to your crying when it goes to 100% for all matchplay

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nope you aren’t the only one - imo the majority don’t care about the handicaps of others , it’s always the very small minority of cry about other people’s handicaps , they have prob been beaten a higher handicap at one stage and their ego couldn’t handle it - they prob accuse them of banditry etc etc

Ah normally craw then - lots of hot air and no substance , will look forward to your crying when it goes to 100% for all matchplay

Think you'll find I shall be sticking to stroke play only.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My scores from 16-20 will more than likely count as I tend to be a streaky player. The new system looks like it will reward the consistent golfer more than a streaky player.
Sounds like 'admission of being a (potential) bandit'! :D:D

Btw. Reward? How do you define that? Best 8 from 20 would seem, to me, to give you a lower index, therefore a potential 'handicap' in matches. So which do you (honestly) wish for most?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
there is also a large proportion who also like to manipulate their handicap.
As a handicap advisor for England golf I have a pretty good feel for the extent of handicap manipulation. It certainly happens and although a disturbing number of cases cross my screen, the actual numbers are very small.
Most are recognised by their performances in BB opens. The clampdown by EG is however beginning to have an effect. Banditry within clubs usually reflects the effectiveness of the committee. But I believe that the 8/20 averaging and caps will make life more difficult for bandits.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
As a handicap advisor for England golf I have a pretty good feel for the extent of handicap manipulation. It certainly happens and although a disturbing number of cases cross my screen, the actual numbers are very small.
Most are recognised by their performances in BB opens. The clampdown by EG is however beginning to have an effect. Banditry within clubs usually reflects the effectiveness of the committee. But I believe that the 8/20 averaging and caps will make life more difficult for bandits.

That is pleasing to hear. And long may you continue to whip butts.