Great article - and so so true!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sounds like 'admission of being a (potential) bandit'! :D:D

Btw. Reward? How do you define that? Best 8 from 20 would seem, to me, to give you a lower index, therefore a potential 'handicap' in matches. So which do you (honestly) wish for most?

Admission of being a bandit? Mid 70's with a reduction/buffer then a few 0.1's in a row followed by a cut or two followed by a few point ones is not bandit material, not even close.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Admission of being a bandit? Mid 70's with a reduction/buffer then a few 0.1's in a row followed by a cut or two followed by a few point ones is not bandit material, not even close.
IYO!

Streaky, especially for a low capper, always gives me the impression of potential bandit (I note you dropped that from my 'description'!

Of course, it all depends on what your 'standard' handicap is and how bad your '0.1s' are! But if you are in the 4-6 range with occasional 10+ overs, then maybe attitude is the problem, not 'streakiness'. If just missing the (very small) buffer of Cat 1 is the problem, then that's not 'streaky' either. Which is it?

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
FWIW

I'm crap at the golf, have a chunky handicap, and used to enjoy match play etc miles more when allowance was at 75%.

Games were closer more often, and winning felt like a real achievement.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think my calculations are correct here. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Here is an example of why match play can differ from stroke or stableford and why full shot allowance can seem unfair.

If I play against my 18 handicap friend. I give him 12 shots which is 90% diff.
If I shoot level par par 41 points.
He shoots 38 points at 16over par. By going on a run of par par bogey triple , par par bogey triple, par par bogey triple. Par par bogey triple, par par.

I would get beat 3 down at my home course.

Your calculations may be correct, but that depends on what holes you bogeyed or did birdies, but putting that aside I think it would be extremely rare for an 18 handicapper to shoot 10 pars in a single round.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ok, I think I've finally understood your point.

I'll just note that it's lucky for the elite players that the handicapping system is based on stableford rather than medal scores - it means that the high cappers who routinely have horror holes end up with lower handicaps than they otherwise would.

How do you feel about having to give a modest number of shots to a mid-teens player who rarely gets a triple bogey?
That’s the real problem type for me ,,12/ 16 handicap players are good players .
So a 12 cap is expected to par 6 holes to play to cap.
But they are capable of paring every hole really.
You must be on your game to beat one, especially a very good player who has gone up to mid teens for whatever reason ,injury illness ,age etc.
They tend to lose a bit of length but are still very good players.
I enjoy a good match ,but sometimes your opponent just plays very well and deserves to win!

By the way I am giving a good 16 handicap 10 shots that’s quite a challenge if he plays well.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think my calculations are correct here. Forgive me if I am wrong.

Here is an example of why match play can differ from stroke or stableford and why full shot allowance can seem unfair.

If I play against my 18 handicap friend. I give him 12 shots which is 90% diff.
If I shoot level par par 41 points.
He shoots 38 points at 16over par. By going on a run of par par bogey triple , par par bogey triple, par par bogey triple. Par par bogey triple, par par.

I would get beat 3 down at my home course.
Take the triples out and you get a spanking

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your calculations may be correct, but that depends on what holes you bogeyed or did birdies, but putting that aside I think it would be extremely rare for an 18 handicapper to shoot 10 pars in a single round.

I just picked an arbitrary sequence of 4 holes. 2 pars and bogey and triple is good for an 18 handicap. Not spectacular but also not entirely unrealistic.

It was just to show how I could potentially win comfortably at stableford and take a hiding in match play with the same scores.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is only one cat1 player at my club plays in singles matches, why do you think that might be ?
I know a lot that havnt Played since full allowance was introduced.
You can practice all week and lose to someone who spends all his time at the club propping up the bar.
As long as he has enough shots he only needs to play ok.
Cat1 players must be sick of the shots they are giving sometimes.
But it’s their choice to play or not.
But a lot are choosing not to play in matchplay events.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I know a lot that havnt Played since full allowance was introduced.
You can practice all week and lose to someone who spends all his time at the club propping up the bar.
As long as he has enough shots he only needs to play ok.
Cat1 players must be sick of the shots they are giving sometimes.
But it’s their choice to play or not.
But a lot are choosing not to play in matchplay events.

I won our h/c matchplay event a couple of years ago playing off 16 - I think that might have been the highest h/c ever, or the second highest for sure. A 4 h/c won this year to continue the streak of usual single figure players taking the glory. And I'm not the average 16 h/c because I have a short game far better than my long game, which is obviously suited to matchplay.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, balanced handicap golf is here to stay. Anecdotal tales in this or any other forum are not going to change it. If you get beaten too often, you simply didn't play well enough.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As long as the other player's handicap was 'honest', then they must have played (relatively) better than you. That's because a Golf Handicap is (supposedly and with a couple of caveats) a measure of the golfers actual ability.

Of course, an improving player is likely to be 'dangerous' compared to one with a 'stable' handicap, especially where there's a significant difference in the handicaps.

However, anecdotal incidents, such as yours,simply don't stack up against the actual statistics that Rulefan quoted!

Back on 'ignore' you go.

The bottom line is people work hard at golf, get good and get to CatI
Then they get frustrated when they play well and still get stuffed by a handicap manipulator, or as I call them cheats.
Then they get told that the handicap limit is rising and will have to give even more shots.
Then they get told they will soon have to give 100% shots.
Then they get told if they don't like it they can go and play somewhere else. Brilliant.
Then they get told they are wrong to complain because the stats say so. (count the hits, ignore the misses)
And who does all the telling?
People sat in committee rooms, the majority of whom have never broken 80.

If someone wants to tell me I'm wrong, get yourself down to 2 or 3 and then see how you feel.

Having said that, if the cheats are being weeded out, then that's good news.

All the low guys want is a level playing field where at least they stand a chance.