GPS Rangefiners.....Advise Please

Markedcard

Visit site
Hi, This is my first post, so please take it easy with me. I thinking about buying a GPS Rangefinder as I play a number of different courses and not all have yardage charts or they want too much for them as I'll probably only play there once.

What are peoples opinions to the different types out there. What's good, what's not so good. What should I look for when choosing and what is considered good value?

Jon321

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Garmin g6. Picked one up for 200 off eBay and its brilliant. Small, stylish, easy to use and no subscription.

Stub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Garmin S1 watch style (or S3 or whatever current model is). I have the S1 and it gives distances to green (front, middle and back) and measures shots etc. No subscription and thousands of courses pre-loaded. Only downside is that it doesn't give distances to hazards and dog-legs etc but I think that might have been addressed in the latest versiion.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looking at the Garmin G3 and sounds a bargain as I too am fed up of the annual subscriptions for my CaddieLite. How is the battery life though? Does it show distances to hazards, carry hazards etc? Also - does it automatically scroll to the next hole?

Thanks.

Markedcard

Visit site
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm leaning towards the Garmin G3 which looks like good value, I can see me getting fed up with paying a subscription or the S3 watch. I just need to justify the hike in price to myself. I had a look at the Garmin website and seems to have the functions I want.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Before you go ahead and spend your hard earned, I know someone who had one of these watches and the battery only lasted 18 holes, not much good if you are playing 36. They may have fixed this problem now but I would check first if I were you.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Just looking at the Garmin G3 and sounds a bargain as I too am fed up of the annual subscriptions for my CaddieLite. How is the battery life though? Does it show distances to hazards, carry hazards etc? Also - does it automatically scroll to the next hole?

Thanks.

Mine generally last 2'ish rounds. I bought some recahrageable AA batteries but they took ages to recharge so I got a big pack of Duracells and just throw them away. You can buy a pack of 24 for about £10 from Screwfix - that probably as cheap as recharging without the hassle

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine generally last 2'ish rounds. I bought some recahrageable AA batteries but they took ages to recharge so I got a big pack of Duracells and just throw them away. You can buy a pack of 24 for about £10 from Screwfix - that probably as cheap as recharging without the hassle

Seriously tempted and would be "free" with Tesco Vouchers - bargain!! I like the sound of the touch screen and point to where you want to land and the distance to that is given plus similar zoom on the green. Sounds a cracking bit of kit.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Makes the £40 a year skycaddie subscription almost palatable. ;)

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Splashed the cash today - or at least my Tesco vouchers. So a new gizmo to play with plus charger and batteries for the princely sum of zero British Pound notes :clap: