Good news for all cooncil T.V. viewers...

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sam Torrance has been axed from the BBC Golf Team.......bad news is that there may be a possibility that he may appear on Sky! :(

SAM TORRANCE AXED BY BBC FROM MASTERS TV TEAM

Sam Torrance will be missing from the BBC commentary box next week after being axed for the Masters. Torrance was cut on economic grounds last month and immediately withdrew his services for the Open at Royal St George’s in July.
Torrance has been stunned by the unexpected turn of events. Alongside his participation on the European Seniors Tour, he had hoped to develop his punditry role after six years of successful service.
His avuncular delivery in that rich Scottish brogue made Torrance a popular addition to a BBC team in need of renewal. The arrival of Sky cameras at Augusta for the first time this year has diminished the BBC’s output, forcing a share of the broadcast rights.
Torrance said: “I felt I was becoming a fixture. They just said, ‘look Sam we have two days live and two days recording. We can’t afford to take you’.
“Because the only other event I do for them, with no Ryder Cup this year, is the Open, I felt I had to pull out of that.
“They wanted me to do the Open. I wanted to do it, but I can’t build a commentating career on one event a year. I felt I had to stand up for myself.”
Though Torrance is lost to a terrestrial audience, he may not be lost to broadcasting. The move paves the way for Sky to enhance their coverage with an offer for Torrance, if not at Augusta, certainly at the Open and beyond. It is understood that preliminary talks have already taken place between Sky and Torrance’s advisers.
So instead of talking us through the closing holes a week on Sunday, Torrance will host a Masters party at his home.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ken Brown would of been the first on my list.
The words 'stealing a livin' spring to mind.

There would be a couple more aswell if I was wielding the axe :rolleyes:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site

Behave yourself he is one of the best on the box, now if you look at half the tits 'stealing a livin' should be axed.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Behave "Ken on the course" is a great feature.

Not saying his commentary is the best but he does add to the coverage.

Surprised they've dropped him to be honest after all Mr Alliss won't be around for ever!

Now there's a man who should retire! Every time he mentions a centenary celebration at a golf course I've never heard of I swear I'll implode. :mad: :mad: :mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not a Torrance fan I'm afraid and prefer Ken Brown. I'd be surprised where Torrance would really fit in as Boxall, Clarke, Riley etc seem to all be coming off course and into the booth more and Critchley and Ewan Murray are pretty good at their end. Even David Howell is making something of a commentating career with regular appearances (usually after another MC)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site

Surprised they've dropped him to be honest after all Mr Alliss won't be around for ever!

Now there's a man who should retire! Every time he mentions a centenary celebration at a golf course I've never heard of I swear I'll implode. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I agree 'ken on the course' is a sometimes interesting feature, but lets be honest anyone could do it.

The guy just bores the pants off me ;)

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site

I agree 'ken on the course' is a sometimes interesting feature, but lets be honest anyone could do it.

The guy just bores the pants off me ;)

Nah nobody could roll a ball off the green into Rae's Creek with the wild eyed enthusiasm Ken does!

BROOKIE

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You look at the names everyones mentioned,there all past
ther sell by date.I dont realley care about some 93 year old
ex captain celebrating his 50th anniversery at his club, lets move on,the only one Id actually pay is Wayne Riley the
rest you can send to a nursing home.

T

thecraw

Torrance should front BBC golf, knowledge, respect and been there done it.

Looks like SKY for me for my Masters coverage then.

BBC = jobs for the boys.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I may be the only one but I am looking forward to seeing how Chris Evans handles his job on 5 Live for the Masters. I know many will see him as another celebrity face dragged in to boost ratings but personally I think he brings and interesting and fresh approach to whatever he does and I think it will work.

B

birdieman

Don't like Torrances's commentary at all, no loss imo.
Ken Brown is brilliant, best on the box.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I dont care who commentates as long as they are inclusive of a variety of players.

But most importantly they DO NOT wear those stupid bleeding headphones and mic's. Especially when in trhe studio and you can plainly see they have a clothes mic on. Bleedin yanks. And that bloke Kelly Tilgman ( i know its a woman, but sounds like a baratone)

I'm looking forward to Chris Evans on 5Live , anyone else?

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to enjoy the tv golf show Chris Evans did years ago. (I forget the name)
He showed great passion for the game back then.
I think it's a shame the BBC's golf coverage is shrinking so much. It's hard for them to bring in anyone new to commentate when they have very few events but it would be great to have someone a bit more 'current' to commentate. I find Alliss & Co's commentary very repetitive.

Yerman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I dont care who commentates as long as they are inclusive of a variety of players.

But most importantly they DO NOT wear those stupid bleeding headphones and mic's. Especially when in trhe studio and you can plainly see they have a clothes mic on. Bleedin yanks. And that bloke Kelly Tilgman ( i know its a woman, but sounds like a baratone)

I'm looking forward to Chris Evans on 5Live , anyone else?

No :mad: