Good and bad rant: Bromley MyTime

barrybridges

Head Pro
fairwaytogo.wordpress.com
This is a rant, but it has a nice ending.

A friend of mine has recently taken up golf but had yet to ever set foot on a golf course, so on Saturday I agreed to take him round and accompany him. Given that he's very new to the sport and has only had a few lessons, we decided to play at Bromley Golf Club which is his local municipal, now run by Bromley MyTime.

Now, I've already said on another thread what I think about MyTime, but this is something else.

We booked a tee-time online using their computerised book system, for 2:10pm.

We turn up and spend some time on the range, before heading to the first tee at around 2pm.

On arrival, we're told that we're not allowed to play as there is an inter-club matchplay competition taking place, and that we wouldn't be able to tee off until they've passed through (this is a 9-hole twice course).

So, we were forced to wait 1:10hrs on the first tee for the 8 groups to come through, before finally teeing off at 3:20pm.

I spoke to the guy at reception and asked why the system let me book without warning me, to which he informed me that the system is never used and is more hassle than it is worth, but the powers that be (MyTime Golf) can't be bothered to remove it.

On the plus side (this is the good bit), the guy was wonderful about things and gave us both a voucher for a free round next time.

However, there will be not be a next time.

Bromley is quite possibly the worst golf course you can think of.

Firstly, it's not a 'proper' golf course. Most of the holes are 3/4 length at best - I think the CSS is 65 or something ridiculous. The first hole, for example, is a Par 4 260 yards. Most of the Par 4s are under 300 yards in length.

The course itself isn't really a course at all - it's just a series of interlinking fields. There is no 'fairway' as such, just irregularly mown grass fields which were rock hard and in most places bereft of any actual grass.

Most holes had no hazards on whatsover, or even any kind of shape/layout to them - here's an overhead view of the second hole to show you what I mean:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=br...007312,0.013797&t=h&hq=bromley+golf+club&z=17

The greens were so long (grass) that it was like puttle on what most people would consider to be a fairway. Even the hole sizes weren't correct!

Overall, a fair day out for my friend and a good first round of golf for him, but the world's most appalling course.

What I can't stand (continuing my rant) is that MyTime have been on these forums saying how much they invest in their courses, whereas Bromley has been owned by them for several years and - by my experiences (twice) - has done nothing to turn this course into something worth playing.

At the same time, I would understand if it's cheap, but it's not! £14 for 9 holes is slightly more expensive than most of the better courses near to where I live (Chartham Park, Godstone etc) and the range is £6.75 for a bucket of 100 balls, which is also the most expensive in the area.

Rant over. Never play a MyTime golf course.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I agree with the slackness of the webite and having to wait being terrible.

However, I used to love playing Magpie (as it used to be called), and Lullingstone 9, and Chelsfield Lakes par 3 course when I started the game. It wasn't nearly as daunting as a full 18, and there were very few "members" or "established golfers" wanting to play through because I was so bad.

Played Magpie again after about 10 years of playing golf on full size courses and drove the green on the 1st, While the group in front were still on it! Completely unintentional, but it showed how I'd improved. Last year, did the front 9 of Chelsfield 18 in level par, gross, which was a massive improvement on where I'd been when I used to play it.

While I agree £14 isn't cheap, it always used to be a great place to learn to play golf. Now if you'd Birchwood par 3, or Ruxley/Cray Valley (think they've changed name now), I'd have backed you up all the way! ;)

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Just looked at the map. Yes very boring and flat. Ok for learners I guess, can't see any trouble on it?
The rough used to be tricky, and there are several bunkers, water in some places, including a tee shot over water (par 3 8th). That used to be more than enough for me! Haven't been back for years though.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds as it is not the greatest but 1 thing i do not see a problem with a par 4 that is under 300yards, because it might be just say 278yds does not mean you will par it every time.

barrybridges

Head Pro
Sounds the ideal course to progress to after you start on the pitch n putt course ?

To be fair, it probably is a good course for someone taking up golf. There's no dress code and people play in jeans/trainers, but at the same time there appears to be club golfers using it (Bromley golf club share the course) and I can't imagine it's a very good experience for them.

I suppose my point was that MyTime make quite a big song-and-dance (on here and elsewhere - I think the advertise in GM?) about how they buy courses and invest heavily in them to do them up, whereas actually poor old Bromley is a right state, but still finds it in them to charge more than most other courses do. £6.75 for a bucket of 100 balls is a lot of money (the most I've paid elsewhere is £6) and £28 for a round on what is essentially a pitch-and-putt (as you say) is a bit of a stinger.

Anyway, the good bit was that the staff were really nice and friendly - and gave us a voucher for a free round, but it's still a bit of a grievance that we had to wait 1:10hrs to tee off because MyTime promote their online tee-time tool which doesn't actually work.

RichardC

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I agree with the slackness of the webite and having to wait being terrible.

However, I used to love playing Magpie (as it used to be called), and Lullingstone 9, and Chelsfield Lakes par 3 course when I started the game. It wasn't nearly as daunting as a full 18, and there were very few "members" or "established golfers" wanting to play through because I was so bad.

Played Magpie again after about 10 years of playing golf on full size courses and drove the green on the 1st, While the group in front were still on it! Completely unintentional, but it showed how I'd improved. Last year, did the front 9 of Chelsfield 18 in level par, gross, which was a massive improvement on where I'd been when I used to play it.

While I agree £14 isn't cheap, it always used to be a great place to learn to play golf. Now if you'd Birchwood par 3, or Ruxley/Cray Valley (think they've changed name now), I'd have backed you up all the way! ;)

It was were I first started playing golf. For a novice golfer I thought it was decent, but saying that I have not played there for years.

Loved playing the 8th when it was almost an island green.

barrybridges

Head Pro

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have to agree with others re it being a good course for beginners. Shame about the booking system though.

Mytime also run also run High Elms Golf Club. I was a member there many years ago and it is a very good test of golf with some very interesting holes. Haven't played it recently so cannot comment on it's current condition but we used to say that if it were a private members club, it would be one of the better ones in the area.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Surely there must be other courses that are better options. I started at Coulsdon Court. Way too hard arguably for a first time out but interesting and certainly made me feel I was playing a proper course and not glorified fields. Horton Park near Chessington is similar. Ideal as a progression from par 3 or pitch and putt but not a course you'd play more than once. Too many short holes and the ability to spray it. A shame they make a big hoo hah about investing so much and then producing so little. Have you tried wiriting to them and expressing your opinion