Golf's Great Underachievers

Wolf

Visit site
I'm in the same camp as Liverpool P (never thought I'd say that) but if anything Poulter has seriously overachieved in my eyes. Great to see though.
Completely agree, Poults has massively over achieved when comparing his natural talent to his peers, shows what mindset and hard work can do for you

D

Deleted member 15344

When did he last contend?

Played 19 times in Europe this year and is ranked 50th on RtD. Schauffle, Knox, Noren etc have played half of those are are all top ten.

Kaymer had far more natural ability than all of them.

Don't choke on your popcorn now.

Are you judging Kaymer on the last couple of years alone ? Especially when he has suffered injuries as well - he has got a couple of top 10’s but he has had a dip - all golfers go through them but he is only 33 , his career isn’t over by any stretch.

He feels his form is on the up turn over the recent weeks so can certainly see him contending again over the next season .

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Are you judging Kaymer on the last couple of years alone ? Especially when he has suffered injuries as well - he has got a couple of top 10’s but he has had a dip - all golfers go through them but he is only 33 , his career isn’t over by any stretch.

He feels his form is on the up turn over the recent weeks so can certainly see him contending again over the next season .

I'm basing his form since his second major. It's been a downward spiral.

I hope you are right that he does contend again but his form suggests otherwise. Such a talented golfer it's a shame to see him fall so far.

For what it's worth all golfers talk up their form, however actions speak louder than words.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Norman for me. Talent, intelligence, hunger and flair. If only more majors...

Oddly, I wonder about Tiger. One of the best records of all time, but what if? One of strongest mental games I’ve ever seen, could putt the lights out under pressure, scrambled like no one else and almost peerless iron play for years.

Never drove the ball great however, got caught up in chasing the navy Seal dream, bad women, injury, etc. etc. Nicklaus could have been a distant sight in the rear view mirror....

D

Deleted member 1418

Ernie Els. Really should have won more, but was unlucky enough to have to compete with Tiger at his best.

Yep. After Seve, Ernie has been my favourite golfer. IMHO he probably more than anyone most affected by Tiger. Given his talent he should've won more majors.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Victor Dubuisson........
I very nearly put him down. I saw an article about him a while ago. The gist was he basically wasn't that bothered about golf, he really wasn't. He could take it or leave it and was more interested in other things. Not sure you can be at the top of a sport with that attitude.

Hopefully he finds his love for the game again as he is exciting to watch.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Adam Scott is a good shout. Butch still talks about him having the best swing in golf but his putting has clearly cost him. He probably should have had 4-5 Majors but no doubt the millions in the bank will cushion the blow.

When we are talking under achieving it really is relative though.

I’d say he’s done very well for someone that can’t putt!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be fair, I didn't say he couldn't putt but his putting has undoubtedly cost him more wins. It is the weakest part of his game by some degree. As I mentioned though, it is all relative.

I know you didn’t, I was questioning whether he has underachieved. Putting is a big part of the game, if you’re not very good at it but you’ve still won the masters, I’d say that’s not someone that’s underachieved.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
When did he last contend?

Played 19 times in Europe this year and is ranked 50th on RtD. Schauffle, Knox, Noren etc have played half of those are are all top ten.

Kaymer had far more natural ability than all of them.

Don't choke on your popcorn now.

So his career is just a couple of years is it? Xander (2nd in open) and Knox/Noren (Rolex winners) are of course going to be above him with a huge payday event, not quite sure your intended point?

Let's compare him to some of the biggest golfers in their 30s.

Rose, DJ, Sergio, JDay, Molinari - all have less majors than him. A few of which are definitely more talented

That's before you even consider his career alongside the likes of Monty, Westwood, Donald etc, again who you could suggest had more talent but couldn't get it over the line in a major.

Could it not be that he was a player that had his best years so far in his 20s, and like Sergio might have a 2nd coming later in his 30s?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
No way as Poulter under achieved.
Talent wise I’d say he’s bang average compared to others on tour.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So his career is just a couple of years is it? Xander (2nd in open) and Knox/Noren (Rolex winners) are of course going to be above him with a huge payday event, not quite sure your intended point?

Let's compare him to some of the biggest golfers in their 30s.

Rose, DJ, Sergio, JDay, Molinari - all have less majors than him. A few of which are definitely more talented

That's before you even consider his career alongside the likes of Monty, Westwood, Donald etc, again who you could suggest had more talent but couldn't get it over the line in a major.

Could it not be that he was a player that had his best years so far in his 20s, and like Sergio might have a 2nd coming later in his 30s?

All ifs buts and maybes.

Fact is Kaymer has not really contended since he won his second major in 2014, that is 4 years now, not a couple. He was in contention/pole position, possibly Dubai but can't remember where he imploded and lost a 10 shot lead.

I'd love nothing better than for Kaymer to find form and win another major or four but his game isn't there at present.

Where did that natural talent and ability disappear to? Kaymer wasn't good, he was outstanding and ice cool to boot.

D

Deleted member 1147

Eduardo Molinari

I always assumed he would do better than his brother, but never kicked on (injury?) like Frankie has done.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have the Anthony Kim rumours in regards to an insurance payout ever been confirmed by AK himself, or is it a matter of the internet making something up and it sticking?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
All ifs buts and maybes.

Fact is Kaymer has not really contended since he won his second major in 2014, that is 4 years now, not a couple. He was in contention/pole position, possibly Dubai but can't remember where he imploded and lost a 10 shot lead.

I'd love nothing better than for Kaymer to find form and win another major or four but his game isn't there at present.

Where did that natural talent and ability disappear to? Kaymer wasn't good, he was outstanding and ice cool to boot.

Oh, you want to go facts only? Perfect.

No golfer in their 30s has won more majors than Kaymer.

Not DJ, Rose, Moli, Sergio, Scott, JDay etc. All of those players aren't just good, they're all outstanding and a couple of them generational talents. And yet all are less successful by the yardstick we ultimately measure a golfing career by.

Golf's 'great underachiever' (your words) is someone bang in the middle of his career with more success to date than nearly all of his peers.