Golf's Great Underachievers

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fowler is definitely underachieving.
It's hard to say someone is underachieving when they've won a handful of professional tournaments, even if they probably should have won more...
Kooch is another with only 8 wins but $millions in the bank...
So, going against what I've said above, my vote would be Adam Scott....

D

Deleted member 21258

Nobody on any of the major tours. There are millions of golfers throughout the world and only a few hundred make it onto tour. I follow Richard Bland on twitter and a few months ago he played Stoneham and shot 28 for the back 9 then played again the following morning and shot 28 on the front 9. He jokingly tweeted asking if he could the course record at 58. He was 14 under par for 18 holes but he has lost his card this year and now missed the cut at Q school. I don't think that anyone who can play the game to that sort of standard is an underachiever.

Why not post that originally, instead of only commenting about Garcia almost, I can understand what you say, but consider that is not what the thread is about :unsure:. I thought Els being mentioned who has a much better record that Garcia was surprising as Els won 4 majors, 71 wins and $49m. ( Which is a lot better than Garcias that you posted 34 victories, 1 major and $48m.) I respect murphs opinion and can see why someone would say his Els.

Anyway all the best (y):coffee:

D

Deleted member 15344

There HAS to be a story being suppressed with Kim.
He got a lot of money given to him as an insurance payout for the wrist injury which meant he cooldnt play competitive golf anymore but every now and then you see a leaked video of him hitting a ball. Not sure what other story there could be - drugs ? Nike still sponsored him for a while after he stopped playing , well contract was kept going until it ran out

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Adam Scott is a good shout. Butch still talks about him having the best swing in golf but his putting has clearly cost him. He probably should have had 4-5 Majors but no doubt the millions in the bank will cushion the blow.

When we are talking under achieving it really is relative though.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
arger athlete like myself.

No I think Monty ran into some bad luck and inspired play in Majors. When you look back at his record I don't think you could ever say he has underachieved to be honest.

That and he missed a green in the worst place from the middle of the fairway at Winged foot in 2006 with a mid iron in his hand, turned it into a double bogey 6 when par wins and bogey gets him in a play off

D

Deleted member 16999

I’d suggest terminology is what confuses this sort of thread.

Some of the players mentioned I more than agree have failed to live up to OUR or the media expectations, but calling them underachievers, imo, is harsh.

They may well have overchieved by what they themselves expected.

Does/Would anyone on here class themselves as an underachiever?

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would say John Daly didn't make the most of his talent. Another one was Paul Way - I always thought he never achieved what he was capable of for whatever reason.

Lastly, for the quality of his swing I always though Marc Warren wold have achieved more

scratchauthority

Visit site
Trying to think of somebody other than who has already been mentioned. I would have thought Furyk would have got more than 1 major. Rickie Fowler could do with adding a major in the next few years or else he could join the westwood/ donald club. I am basing it mainly on major performances and not all round but it could be argued that Greg Norman was (at least on the major front, to think he only got 2 but Harrington got 3.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
That and he missed a green in the worst place from the middle of the fairway at Winged foot in 2006 with a mid iron in his hand, turned it into a double bogey 6 when par wins and bogey gets him in a play off

I agree that he blew that, no doubt but overall he has a tremendous worldwide record. That said I would still say that he has not underachieved in during his career. Phenomenal record.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
He got a lot of money given to him as an insurance payout for the wrist injury which meant he cooldnt play competitive golf anymore but every now and then you see a leaked video of him hitting a ball. Not sure what other story there could be - drugs ? Nike still sponsored him for a while after he stopped playing , well contract was kept going until it ran out

I've heard and read those rumours too but I'm still not convinced that is the true story. Maybe I'm just too suspicious but something just doesn't add up.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree that he blew that, no doubt but overall he has a tremendous worldwide record. That said I would still say that he has not underachieved in during his career. Phenomenal record.

one of the biggest mysteries ever how Ogilvy won that lol with how Monty and Lefty finished