Golf's Great Underachievers

D

Deleted member 15344

i would like to add a certain player called Ian James Poulter as an under achiever. loads of self belief but rarely a tour winner that his belief gave him.

Now that’s one person I am surprised someone would think he has under achieved ! Rarely a tour winner ?! He has won 17 times on tour including 2 WGC - looking at his ability I would say he has over achieved

Wolf

Visit site
Its not a terrible shout at all, he had the potential to be phenomenal and blew it. He had the title of Germany's most successful golfer ever in his grasp and I think he's even managed to threw that away too. Genuinely hope I'm wrong but he's killed his game.

Still plenty of time for him to achieve that status already has same number of majors as Langer and a lot of years ahead of him to rekindle his form

i would like to add a certain player called Ian James Poulter as an under achiever. loads of self belief but rarely a tour winner that his belief gave him.

Seriously IJP under achieved, turns pro off a regular club 4 handicap. Works his nuts off to get good enough to qualify for tour, wins 17 times on tour with 2 WGC, and will go down as a Ryder Cup legend and multi millionaire.. I'd call that massive achievements compared to others around him with more natural talent

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Always difficult to measure what's an under achiever on tour, is it number of total wins or number of majors or a bit of both.
One player I thought would do more is Paul Casey, ok he's won on both tours which is impressive but I don't think he's ever come close to winning a major.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Always difficult to measure what's an under achiever on tour, is it number of total wins or number of majors or a bit of both.
One player I thought would do more is Paul Casey, ok he's won on both tours which is impressive but I don't think he's ever come close to winning a major.

Good shout.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anthony Kim. Had the potential to be a multiple major winner, he had everything going for him then a mysterious spate of injuries de-railed his career and he's never returned.

Anthony Kim was insured for his injuries and as a condition of the payout he must never play pro golf again or else he has to give all the money back.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Anthony Kim was insured for his injuries and as a condition of the payout he must never play pro golf again or else he has to give all the money back.
I’d be curious to how much he was paid. With the way that the money has skyrocketed in recent years, he is probably out of pocket.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Surprised no one has said Rory, He should have won 10 or more majors by now, plus winning almost every tournament he entered

Rory just isn't firing on all cylinders because they say if he is nobody would touch him, at least that's what I have read on here.

Good job he is not a NASA rocket coz I don't believe he would not get off the ground, right now best way to describe him is a damp squid

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Its not a terrible shout at all, he had the potential to be phenomenal and blew it. He had the title of Germany's most successful golfer ever in his grasp and I think he's even managed to threw that away too. Genuinely hope I'm wrong but he's killed his game.

How exactly has Kaymer 'blew it'. Getting my popcorn ready for this one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hard to be critical of anyone that has won on tour but a player from way back and who played in the Ryder Cup and was touted to be the next big thing was Paul Way. Of the modern golfers I definitely think Poulter should have done more

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
How exactly has Kaymer 'blew it'. Getting my popcorn ready for this one.

When did he last contend?

Played 19 times in Europe this year and is ranked 50th on RtD. Schauffle, Knox, Noren etc have played half of those are are all top ten.

Kaymer had far more natural ability than all of them.

Don't choke on your popcorn now.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Hard to be critical of anyone that has won on tour but a player from way back and who played in the Ryder Cup and was touted to be the next big thing was Paul Way. Of the modern golfers I definitely think Poulter should have done more

I'm in the same camp as Liverpool P (never thought I'd say that) but if anything Poulter has seriously overachieved in my eyes. Great to see though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm in the same camp as Liverpool P (never thought I'd say that) but if anything Poulter has seriously overachieved in my eyes. Great to see though.
I can see your point but for me, someone that can play so well in a RC (yes I accept its matchplay) should be able to get it done more often but he's one of those that seems to chuck a poorish round in somewhere in the four days. Another guy that comes to mind is Brett Rumford. He's got a superb short game and is a great ball striker (as I've seen first hand when he use to practice at my club) but seems to be very inconsistent. He had a couple of wins a few seasons back and I know he's been injured but I thought he could have achieved more