Golf's Great Underachievers

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well I'm surprised you didn't check your stats properly and see that Kaymer won both his majors in his 20's not his 30's!

DCB

Visit site
Steven Richardson - early 1990s. Started off on Tour like he was on fire after a good amateur record. Just seemed to drop off the planet. He's still on the Seniors Tour, but not firing on all cylinders.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Well I'm surprised you didn't check your stats properly and see that Kaymer won both his majors in his 20's not his 30's!

Glad your going pedantic rather than debating facts. I'll chalk that up as a W.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'll add in a word for you - No golfer currently in their 30s has won more majors than Kaymer.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Glad your going pedantic rather than debating facts. I'll chalk that up as a W.

For the avoidance of any doubt, I'll add in a word for you - No golfer currently in their 30s has won more majors than Kaymer.

Pedantic coming from a pratt who only wants to debate Kaymer but choses to ignore other claims against natural talent like Els for example.

I couldn't really care about golfers in their 30's past or present, Kaymer had more ability than most golfers "currently in their 30's".

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Greatest under achiever for me is probably Ricky Fowler, but he still has plenty of time to fulfill his obvious potential.
Greatest over achiever would arguably be Poults.

Moe Norman is an interesting one. With his ball striking ability he definitely under achieved and, at the same time, I would argue that he over achieved due to his autism, unfortunately awkward social skills, (due to the autism), and being regarded as different by his peers when his condition was not really understood.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Pedantic coming from a pratt who only wants to debate Kaymer but choses to ignore other claims against natural talent like Els for example.

I couldn't really care about golfers in their 30's past or present, Kaymer had more ability than most golfers "currently in their 30's".

OK, you stoop low, I won't. Pathetically needless, but not unexpected.

I've not once mentioned Els, but as you bring it up I think his achievements are broadly inline with expectation and talent. Not too dissimilar to a certain German.

I chose to debate Kaymer as you started the post and then strangely called him one of golfs 'great underachievers'.

And if you seriously think Kaymer has more natural talent/ability then DJ and Sergio then it's your own little world you live in. The others might be a matter of opinion but the FACT is that he's achieved more than all of them.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
OK, you stoop low, I won't. Pathetically needless, but not unexpected.

I've not once mentioned Els, but as you bring it up I think his achievements are broadly inline with expectation and talent. Not too dissimilar to a certain German.

I chose to debate Kaymer as you started the post and then strangely called him one of golfs 'great underachievers'.

And if you seriously think Kaymer has more natural talent/ability then DJ and Sergio then it's your own little world you live in. The others might be a matter of opinion but the FACT is that he's achieved more than all of them.

I think you need to get out more.

Broadly inline, good political towing the line pathetic response. You really need to grow a pair and express yourself instead of trolling my posts. I totally appreciate I'm a bit left field at times but I have the balls to standby my opinions and respect that not everyone will agree. I am flattered by your continued obsession but you are starting to really bore me.

Goodnight and sweet dreams.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Steven Richardson - early 1990s. Started off on Tour like he was on fire after a good amateur record. Just seemed to drop off the planet. He's still on the Seniors Tour, but not firing on all cylinders.
Finished second in order of merit to Seve, and won three times on tour. Then lost his game, in particular his putting. Played on the Hampshire Pro Am circuit, and held our course record for a while. When he first came on the European tour he was regarded as a better prospect than Colin Montgomerie, and they both played in the ‘war on the shore’ Ryder Cup.

Would add Paul Way and Peter Baker.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site

Not to mention Andrew Sherbourne, Gordon Sherry, Peter Baker.. all the next best thing in the 80's/90's but it goes to show how hard it can be.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think you need to get out more.

Broadly inline, good political towing the line pathetic response. You really need to grow a pair and express yourself instead of trolling my posts. I totally appreciate I'm a bit left field at times but I have the balls to standby my opinions and respect that not everyone will agree. I am flattered by your continued obsession but you are starting to really bore me.

Goodnight and sweet dreams.

Get out more? You've responded to me within minutes nearly every time in an otherwise vanilla thread. My life doesn't revolve around posting on here...

Grow a pair? I'm the one who called you out on a terrible opinion. I stated DJ as my choice so not afraid to state my side.

Having 'balls' to stand by an opinion in the face of cold hard facts against said opinion isn't something to be proud of. It's a stain.

Obsession? Don't flatter yourself. I can't remember a post of yours before this.

Trolling? Ah, the old failsafe in a debate to get out and hide behind the L. I'm not the one that's got personal just because someone used reason and facts to challenge your sacred opinion.

Cheers 😘

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Get out more? You've responded to me within minutes nearly every time in an otherwise vanilla thread. My life doesn't revolve around posting on here...

Grow a pair? I'm the one who called you out on a terrible opinion. I stated DJ as my choice so not afraid to state my side.

Having 'balls' to stand by an opinion in the face of cold hard facts against said opinion isn't something to be proud of. It's a stain.

Obsession? Don't flatter yourself. I can't remember a post of yours before this.

Trolling? Ah, the old failsafe in a debate to get out and hide behind the L. I'm not the one that's got personal just because someone used reason and facts to challenge your sacred opinion.

Cheers 😘

Yip obsessed.

😴😴😴

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I can't have Ernie, then Gordon Sherry ticks a lot of boxes.

Secretly stll think Ernie though. So much talent. Should have done more with it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not to mention Andrew Sherbourne, Gordon Sherry, Peter Baker.. all the next best thing in the 80's/90's but it goes to show how hard it can be.
I played with Andrew Sherborne in a pro-am years ago (which he won) with the easiest 5 under you are ever likely to see. Really nice guy and he won the Spanish Open twice which is two more wins than the majority of the pros on tour will ever do.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
I played with Andrew Sherborne in a pro-am years ago (which he won) with the easiest 5 under you are ever likely to see. Really nice guy and he won the Spanish Open twice which is two more wins than the majority of the pros on tour will ever do.

He was the tour pro at a club I used to be a member at.. yes a really nice guy and with 2 tour wins he did well but if you read the thread it's about underachieving, not what he did compared with other pros.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
For me, the under achievers will be guys you've never heard of. Talented players who made it onto the tour and didn't put in the work that their peers were doing.

The likes of Monty and Westwood - who have played on tour for decades, remained competitive well into their 40s and won dozens of tournaments - just doesn't come into it for me. They have been hugely successful, have towering Ryder Cup records and banked millions of pounds over quality careers. You could argue they don't have enough bottle, but in reality, winning is difficult and I think most players will give away a shot or two on a Sunday afternoon that they wouldn't on a Friday morning.

For these guys, a bit of luck has come into it as much as anything else and that simply out of all the weeks that they won, it just happened not to be one of those 4 weeks per year. Also, for as good as Monty was, 25% of the majors were at Augusta, which just doesn't suit a fader of the ball and Monty had a very poor record there. Really, the number of right handers who have won with a fade is remarkably small. If you play at a mirror image of Augusta, then Monty would have given himself multiple chances over 15 or 20 attempts.

Wolf

Visit site
For me, the under achievers will be guys you've never heard of. Talented players who made it onto the tour and didn't put in the work that their peers were doing.

The likes of Monty and Westwood - who have played on tour for decades, remained competitive well into their 40s and won dozens of tournaments - just doesn't come into it for me. They have been hugely successful, have towering Ryder Cup records and banked millions of pounds over quality careers. You could argue they don't have enough bottle, but in reality, winning is difficult and I think most players will give away a shot or two on a Sunday afternoon that they wouldn't on a Friday morning.

For these guys, a bit of luck has come into it as much as anything else and that simply out of all the weeks that they won, it just happened not to be one of those 4 weeks per year. Also, for as good as Monty was, 25% of the majors were at Augusta, which just doesn't suit a fader of the ball and Monty had a very poor record there. Really, the number of right handers who have won with a fade is remarkably small. If you play at a mirror image of Augusta, then Monty would have given himself multiple chances over 15 or 20 attempts.

I think Nicklaus with 6 Masters wins and a predominately high fader of the ball may disagree with the fact you can't win unless you draw the ball.

I don't think Monty underachiever in his career at all either I'm a big fan of his but I always find saying someone shape of shot stops them winning is always a bit of a cop out

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I think Nicklaus with 6 Masters wins and a predominately high fader of the ball may disagree with the fact you can't win unless you draw the ball.

I don't think Monty underachiever in his career at all either I'm a big fan of his but I always find saying someone shape of shot stops them winning is always a bit of a cop out

A bit of a difference with Nicklaus is that he was a) a far better player than Monty, b) longer relative to the field than Monty and c) could hit a draw when he had to, I’m not sure Monty could, and certainly wasn’t comfortable trying it in competition.

Plus his last Masters win was 85?

Not sure the last fader to win at Augusta tbh.