Golfing in Storm Eunice?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was thinking it had calmed down, then there was a big gust and nextdoor's chimney blew down and landed just outside our window ...

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did go out and play this morning, but we dont even in a yellow warning. It was cold ish but bright and surprising flat calm. Got about 8 holes in before it started to snow, by the 10th tee it was really starting to settle. By the green we gave up and headed in.
I just had a look at the club webcam, to have a look at the snow after getting a notification on my way home the course was now closed... not a bit of snow in sight, its lashing it down?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our course is shut.

We are wondering if Eunice will finally finish off our 450yo Oak Tree on the 11th.

Its dying and over the last few years had developed a split, we've had all manner of experts come and look at it over the last year with various remedial actions taken but the split continued to widen and the tree was declared dying and unsafe. But due to preservation orders the club is unable to do anything to make it safe....like cut the damned thing down!! Last summer a third of the tree split away from the main trunk and yet still the club is barred from doing anything about it.

The best thing for all concerned is that Eunice finishes it off once and for all.
Will put my professional hat on for you ...

As regards trees, "Dead" and "Unsafe" are not the same thing - your tree may be one, the other or both. Depends on the circumstances. But, that said, if it is unsafe, then there are exceptions within the preservation order legislation as regards dangerous or unsafe trees. The law cannot compel your club to retain something that's dangerous. Ok, a tree aged 450 is an important resource and I'd never advocate removal unless absolutely necessary. But the club has the right to do enough to make it safe (but only 'enough')- and the local Council who administer TPO legislation can't stop you.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had an email from the club late yesterday afternoon, at least 20-30 trees on the course affected by the wind. Likely to be closed until at least Wednesday whilst the clear up takes place.
Eventful day at work with the workshop roof being lifted about 3 feet, taking the joists with it, and a large wall collapsed at the side of car park, falling into the bodyshop next door. Luckily no-one hurt.
Lost a couple of hip tiles off the roof at home, not good, and also had two fence panels blown down in the back garden. Hopefully a mate can come down today and fix the tiles, fingers crossed....wall one.jpgwall two.jpg

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not getting out to play today!

A67ONiL.jpg

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had an email from the club late yesterday afternoon, at least 20-30 trees on the course affected by the wind. Likely to be closed until at least Wednesday whilst the clear up takes place.
Eventful day at work with the workshop roof being lifted about 3 feet, taking the joists with it, and a large wall collapsed at the side of car park, falling into the bodyshop next door. Luckily no-one hurt.
Lost a couple of hip tiles off the roof at home, not good, and also had two fence panels blown down in the back garden. Hopefully a mate can come down today and fix the tiles, fingers crossed....View attachment 41316View attachment 41317

I am not a builder but with the little knowledge I have you can see why that wall went over. Obviously not built by a trained bricklayer.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not one single player from our group of 20 went out today- horizontal rain on 40-50 winds. About half the group before ours went out but it had not started to rain when they began to go out.

Had a smile in the locker room one guy was asking if anybody had a spare umbrella.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am not a builder but with the little knowledge I have you can see why that wall went over. Obviously not built by a trained bricklayer.
It went over because my stupid fecking bosses attached a massive great sign to it that acted like a sail. We had another wall go down in exactly the same way and for exactly the same reason last year. I suggested taken the remaining sign down at the time, but apparently it wouldn't happen again.
????

Swango1980

Visit site
Got put for a greensomes competition today. Completed 18, enjoyed very much, and 5 mins after finishing there was heavy snow. All groups after us had to abandon their round.

Lucky boy :)