Golfer sues course for injury.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
In the states, a golfer is suing his golf course after he lost an eye to a ricochet off the 150 yard marker. Apparently, they are too rigid, and too in the way, being in the middle of the fairway.

It was his third shot too.

john74

Hacker
Visit site
its not funny. but it is 3 shots to get to the 150 yard marker. lol :D
did he only have a 65 degree wedge in his bag. :D

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
its not funny. but it is 3 shots to get to the 150 yard marker. lol :D
I had to hit a 5 iron 3rd shot from 180yds to a green once after a good drive and 3 wood. Mind you, it was a par 6 at 623 metres and I got a birdie 5 :)
Has anyone else played a par 6?

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
No but the 630 yard par 5 7th at my Gaff should be a par 6. Its so poorly designed it plays extra long!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Murph what kind of marker was it do you know?Surely if it is in the middle of the fairway if is a disc not a stake like marker so how the hell could you ricochet off a disc?Must have been at the side of the fairway,if it was in the middle then no wonder he is suing....h&s and all that espec in the States!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Probably one of those black and white poles but I didnt think they were distance markers. Just way points.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I suppose if it was a disc, 2 foot in front of you, with a 1/2" raised edge (bad for mowers), then you could do it if you knifed it.

I have no idea what the marker looked like, I just read it in the papers, and found it amusing. (obviously a serious injury, but he did it to himself).

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
self-inflicted though that won't matter. what will are the repercussions - stand by for a requirement that we all carry insurance and booking a round brings with it an automatic indemnity for the club.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had he injured another person on the course would he have expected the club to pick up the tab if he was sued? No.

Same difference if you as me.

Cannot see how the club is liable at all.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every business or private place with public access should have at least public liability for reasons like this, a golf course allows golf to take place amongst other golfers so there is a liability question, if the golf course didnt allow people to play golf on there or allow people to walk on there then maybe not, and yes it is that silly sometimes, but true. :D

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
He could have a reasonable cause of action. The main question to be asked: Was it foreseeable to the club that a golfer could hit the stake and cause injury to either himself or fellow golfers.
If the stake was in the middle of the fairway then it could have been foreseeable.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I remember at a local golf course passing the turn & teeing off on the parr3 tenth, made an almighty misshit ttted off thin that ricocheted off the ladies concrete tee post & straight back at me. Had to dive for cover & had to take my next shot from next to the halfway house out of the rough..

Shot managed to get onto the front of the green with my second shot out of that rough. Then somehow managed to save par with a very, very long putt.

But what is beyond me is if I can duck & avoid a ball I've hit, then why can't a Yank avoid a ball he's hit coming back towards him, especially when I clearly would have had less time to react than someone catching the 150 marker.

T

thecraw

I once witnessed someone tee off on the first medal tee at Fereneze, he thinned/skittered his drive which hit the ladies tee box, the ball ricochet backwards, across the putting green where about 20 people had to dive for cover and hit off of the pro shop wall before landing O.B on the path about 20 yards behind the first tee.

There were about 20 people rolling about the putting green laughing when the danger had passed!

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Seen someone hit the tee marker at our 1st tee and ricochet back past him and out of bounds...also story of a guy hitting it sideways over the clubhouse into the carpark and for anyone coming next week when you stand on the 1st tee have a look at how these could ever be achieved and you will swear the 2nd one is impossible!!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I fear that the day cometh where everyone will have to sign a disclaimer before going out on a course as a visitor and as part of your membership for your club.