Golf with a Stoma (no banter please)

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Blood results back today, CEA (cancer) markers back to normal :)(y)

Great news! Must be a massive relief.

Can I ask, have you still got the stoma and did you manage to play any golf with it? I had a permanent stoma 8 weeks ago due to ulcerative colitis and I'd love to play golf again at some point in the future.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great news! Must be a massive relief.

Can I ask, have you still got the stoma and did you manage to play any golf with it? I had a permanent stoma 8 weeks ago due to ulcerative colitis and I'd love to play golf again at some point in the future.
I have and yes I have been on the range with no issues but have to wear a support belt. If the course is open tomorrow I'm going up for a few holes. PM me if you want to chat.

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have and yes I have been on the range with no issues but have to wear a support belt. If the course is open tomorrow I'm going up for a few holes. PM me if you want to chat.

In terms of stoma life I'm doing pretty well. It was almost expected at some point due to my ulcerative colitis so I don't have the sort of drastic life change that a lot of people have. I had plenty of time to prepare.

I was just wondering what support belt you wear? I've got a hernia belt on its way thati was fitted for by the stome nurse and I'm hoping it's enough.

Did you have to adjust much in your swing? I've always relied on speed with my swing and I imagine I'll have to slow things right down. I'm just terrified of getting a hernia.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
which ostomy have you got ?
I've got a supportx belt, you should get 3 free on prescriptio n.

I'll pm you some groups you should join .

DannyOT

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Back in today for a minor op, check up in 2 weeks and if ok will schedule my reversal .?

Great to hear. If you've still got plenty of colon left, reversal should be pretty straightforward for you once the initial swelling from surgery dies down. I bet you never thought you'd miss going the conventional way so much.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New member here
A question to to spongebob59
Is it a. Ileostomy or a colostomy you have and how many months after surgery was advisable to play golf ?
I hope if you’ve had your reversal surgery that it went well !

Ileotomy. Probably about 4 months before I was hitting balls on the range but then I had chemo so didnt actually get on the course for a year and then we went into lockdown ?.
I'd say just take it easy and get support wear, I've ended up with a hernia which is being fixed in 2 weeks time along with my reversal.
feel free.to PM me any time.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Sadly any strenuous efforts that exerts the abdominal muscles brings a risk of parastomal hernia. You need to allow yourself a lot of time to build the muscles up that have been damaged through surgery, as well as allowing the stoma itself time to become healed and secured in position. Make sure you don’t press ahead, thinking it’s a matter of mind over matter when it comes to physio and attempting to play golf. Play the long game and you’ll have a much better chance of coming back fully able to play again.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes I feel it’s going to be a long process. Walking I suppose will help build up stamina
I also feel it’s going to take some time before I gain the weight lost due to the high output of the stoma or does that settle? I can’t take the jelly babies and Marsh mallows to slow it down because I am diabetic
I’m hearing & reading such good & positive feedback about taking turmeric paste for healing and inflammation and other benefits for the colon and many other ailments so think I’ll consider using this paste in the coming weeks , any thoughts on that ?
My partner was very high output at first, but she was also having chemotherapy which played havoc with her digestion. Since she stopped chemo, it settled right down and she’s very good at coping with the output.

You may be different depending on your underlying health conditions.

What I would say is this - if you’re embarrassed or squeamish about your stoma, I promise that will pass. I’ll be sat on the sofa with my lass and she’ll be squeezing the bigger lumps in her stoma bag to break them down and move more easily into the bag without a care in the world. Obviously I tell her she’s gross but she just laughs it off. She’ll also sit at stare as she passes stuff because “it’s fascinating”.