golf verus football

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
having played both sports to a reasonably low standard I was interested how a golf translates into football ability, here's my take on it for what it's worth....

+5 or better = premier league
+2 to +5 = championship
scratch to +2 = league 1 or 2
scratch to 2 = league 3
3 - 5 = non league semi - professional
6 - 9 = Division 1 in local league
10-15 = Division 2/3 local league
15 - 20 = lower league local football
20+ = sunday league kickabout, usually with a hangover!

Any thoughts?

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
These just your arbitrary thoughts yea? I think if you wanted to get a more accurate guide you could check the number of footballers in the uk against the number of golfers. I think there is a stat which tells you the average handicap and rough numbers in a HC range? If so you'll soon see where the bulk of players sit. You could then check the stats of footballers in the country too and calculate where each set of people would sit.

The slight issue would be that you're including professional footballers but only amateur golfers, so not sure it would be that accurate. What I mean by that is that surely only pros would equal prem league status, not someone with +5?
But you'd get a rough idea anyway. I'd wager a guess that far more than half of all the golfers would be above an 18 HC so logic would suggest that these will take up more than half the categories you mentioned, meaning there might be fewer lower levels remaining for the rest of the golfers.

There must be some rough estimate of figures out there somewhere...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not sure how comparable it is. you will find boys playing at all levels who wouldn't look out of place many further rungs up the ladder.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
having played both sports to a reasonably low standard I was interested how a golf translates into football ability, here's my take on it for what it's worth....

+2 to +5 = championship
scratch to 2 = league 3
20+ = sunday league kickabout, usually with a hangover!

Any thoughts?

Golf pros don't have handicaps, even teaching pros who don't play/practice much if at all, so I don't see this as a valid way to try and compare at all.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
You are comparing apples with oranges here ... ability in form of hanicap/scoring in one sport to affiliation with a certain league/class in another. Why not compare it like this:

PGA/European Tour Player = Premier League Player
Web.com/Challenge Tour Player = Championship
MiniTour Player = League 1 or 2
etc.

all the way down to club golfer who only occasionally play a comp compared to friends who occaionally kick a ball around in a friendly pub league game.

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Golf pros don't have handicaps, even teaching pros who don't play/practice much if at all, so I don't see this as a valid way to try and compare at all.

no problem, it was only supposed to be light hearted, and to alleviate a bit of boredom.
ps - mickleson has a handicap of +5.2

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You are comparing apples with oranges here ... ability in form of hanicap/scoring in one sport to affiliation with a certain league/class in another. Why not compare it like this:

PGA/European Tour Player = Premier League Player
Web.com/Challenge Tour Player = Championship
MiniTour Player = League 1 or 2
etc.

all the way down to club golfer who only occasionally play a comp compared to friends who occaionally kick a ball around in a friendly pub league game.

Was hoping someone clever might be able to come back with some statistically based evidence of what percentage are in what category, just for the sake of the discussion. I'm sure someone studying sport at Uni has done a study like this.....

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/yes-some-tour-pros-have-a-handicap-phils-is-52

Aaron Baddeley (+4.4, down from +6.2); Martin Kaymer (+4.6, down from +5.8); Kevin Streelman (+5.3, down from +6.2); Paul Casey (+3.9, down from +4.6); Billy Mayfair (+3.7, down from +5.2); Chez Reavie (+4.5 from +5.4); and Geoff Ogilvy (+4.2 from +6.2).

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wasn't aware that this was allowed in the US as it's not allowed here in the UK under CONGU rules.

Anyway, i think it was a bit of light hearted fun for a friday, not a serious comparison. And i did not know it wasnt allowed in the UK?!

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

+2 to +5 = championship
scratch to 2 = league 3 (and Scottish premier league).
20+ = sunday league kickabout, usually with a hangover! (and rest of Scottish professional football)

Any thoughts?

Acording to this I am the same level golfer than I am (was) a footballer so it works out for me.👍

Also edited the groups above because this is a UK forum😀

Last edited:

robert.redmile

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if I had studied sport, I would have loved to investigate the relationships between different sports eg a 11 second 100m is equivalent to a 5 handicapper, a snooker player who can get a 50 break is the same as a scratch golfer etc

It would also be interesting to know which sports have the best cross functionality - I know for instance that there is a strong correlation between rowing ability and cycling ability. any others spring to mind?

I also tend to remember at school that there was a certain type of rugby player who was usually useless at all other sports, yet the footballers tended by good at most sports!