Golf trip, Dad's 60th.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
My Dad turns 60 in a couple of weeks and i'm looking to book two or three days away.
Can be England or Scotland as plenty of flights from Inverness and i'm not bothered about driving somewhere as well.
Looking to play a couple of courses, one to be excellent.
Will probably get a holiday cottage and travel from there.
Any suggestions welcome.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Brian, if you want to do it on his birthday i would suggest abroad and somewhere warm;)

UK golf anywhere in the UK for the next few months is going to be short courses, off mats and in the cold.

what about trying in the later ballot (think there is weekly one) for the old course in the summer, St Andrews is a great place for a couple of nights and the new and the Jubilee are every bit as good if not better that TOC IMO.

Or if you really want to splash out Muirfield, stay in Greywalls, they play the full course all year, but its expensive as a visitor

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you wanting to actually go when it is his birthday or are you happy to give him the present but go later on? I went to Turnberry in April this year, played both courses, and it was fabulous. It is a genuine special occasion place and it is cheaper in April, cheaper again in March. I would not do it in 3 weeks as the weather risk would be too big a gamble. We stayed in the hotel as well for 1 night, a real 5 star place.

Equally, next April I am playing Gleneagles with my son but staying elsewhere as the hotel price there was plain bonkers. Gleneagles has three top courses to play from so so you could play any of those or add in some nearby courses as well to keep the price down.

If you wanted to head into England, but not too far, then Close House, near Newcastle, offer some good stay and play deals. It's a smashing set up and having the Masters there may give it that extra bit of kudos for your dad that it would not have had previously. I am not putting them in the same league as the other two mentioned but it would be a good trip still and would not hurt your bank balance quite so much.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Mats are very rare in the south, in fact I have never played anywhere where they are required. If you want to stay in the UK then maybe look at Cornwall. You could play St Enodoc/Trevose and you have Saunton and Burnham & Berrow not too far up the road as well.
If your budget stretches to it then I would look abroad though, Portugal and Spain being the obvious destinations. Or if you can get cheap flights there are some decent courses in Tenerife and you get guaranteed weather.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
He's lucky in the fact that he has played all the top courses, me and my brother haven't had that luxury yet, a bit of a selfish moment!!
Looking at March as he is away to Portugal in April and Turkey in October.
My Dad will be probably be delighted anywhere, as long as he's out there playing.
Did apply for the old course but never got in, a mate who i work with says he could get us on no bother, but don't want to be an inconvenience / hassle for him.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far.
He's lucky in the fact that he has played all the top courses, me and my brother haven't had that luxury yet, a bit of a selfish moment!!
Looking at March as he is away to Portugal in April and Turkey in October.
My Dad will be probably be delighted anywhere, as long as he's out there playing.
Did apply for the old course but never got in, a mate who i work with says he could get us on no bother, but don't want to be an inconvenience / hassle for him.

Take him to Fairways in December then:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
My Dad turns 60 in a couple of weeks and i'm looking to book two or three days away.
Can be England or Scotland as plenty of flights from Inverness and i'm not bothered about driving somewhere as well.
Looking to play a couple of courses, one to be excellent.
Will probably get a holiday cottage and travel from there.
Any suggestions welcome.

A trip to the East Midlands won't break the bank. Plenty of excellent heathland courses such as Hollinwell, Woodhall Spa, Sherwood Forest and even a decent links course at Seacroft.

D

Deleted member 21258

How about Alwoodley and Moortown(old ryder cup course) on their special deal

https://www.alwoodley.co.uk/visitors/current-offers.php

For £189, play one course on a Sunday afternoon, stay overnight at the nearby four-star Weetwood Hotel and then play the second course the following morning. The price includes breakfast and is based on two people sharing a room. Applies April to October 2019.

Says April but would have thought they would do March, both should drain well and meant to be lovely courses. (sorry never played either)

Or maybe do the three ryder cup venues -

http://www.gantongolfclub.com/Visitors/The-Ryder-Cup-Experience-3-Day-Package.aspx

EDIT direct link -- http://whiterosegolfbreaks.co.uk/yorkshire-deals/mackenzie-collection/

Or just do Ganton and another course, love everything about that place (bit old school, but its great, sand based again, and held the ryder, walker, Curtis cup)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Southport.
Birkdale
Hillside
Formby.
S&A
In that order!
Nice town ,lots of nice hotels ,not to busy in winter and all links courses so playable all year.
Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
April 19/20 Lancaster and pleasington £79 for both ,,,,both top notch .
Finch golf tour .
We play this tour it’s very well organised.
Plenty of courses around if you want more golf.
If you stay in Penrith there’s a lovely course there Penrith
GC.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Although Club Champ mentioned Penrith I think Carlisle is better and although bias Ulverston has far better greens than Penrith.

Think the first thing is to decide when. The next is to look at somewhere where there are flights from Inverness. Notice there are flights toJersey in June 2019 and doubt he will not have played golf there. Also flights to Birmingham and Bristol

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, just waiting for my Dads brother to confirm if he wants to come along, he lives in Oxford so would want to split the distance to help him out as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although Club Champ mentioned Penrith I think Carlisle is better and although bias Ulverston has far better greens than Penrith.

Think the first thing is to decide when. The next is to look at somewhere where there are flights from Inverness. Notice there are flights toJersey in June 2019 and doubt he will not have played golf there. Also flights to Birmingham and Bristol
Never played Carlisle I might go next time we go to Siloth.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Southport.
Birkdale
Hillside
Formby.
S&A
In that order!
Nice town ,lots of nice hotels ,not to busy in winter and all links courses so playable all year.
Not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

Good shout although my order not the same as that. Even if the OP's brother in Oxford goes, we did it easily from further away in Bracknell on the King of Kings meet at Hillside easily enough. Drove up one day, only took about 5 hours including stops for brekkie and then a coffee, afternoon exploring Southport and the beach and then into the golf. I think a few days in that neck of the woods would be a great present. The courses are only 15 minutes or so from Southport itself so an easy journey each day and about 20-25 to Formby.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Thought I’d update this after a cracking few days away last week, played Monifieth, Jubilee course and St Andrews new, had our base in Broughty Ferry, literally 20minute drive to St Andrews.
Jubilee and New course were superb, we got lucky with the weather, was 17 degrees both days with hardly a breath of wind.
Played ok on the front 9 on the Jubilee and New then fell away a bit, the par 3’s on the new are tough.

Definitely do something again next year but reduce the whisky intake over the few days.....😂😂

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thought I’d update this after a cracking few days away last week, played Monifieth, Jubilee course and St Andrews new, had our base in Broughty Ferry, literally 20minute drive to St Andrews.
Jubilee and New course were superb, we got lucky with the weather, was 17 degrees both days with hardly a breath of wind.
Played ok on the front 9 on the Jubilee and New then fell away a bit, the par 3’s on the new are tough.

Definitely do something again next year but reduce the whisky intake over the few days.....😂😂
great Choice Brian, 3 great Tracks