Your UK Golf Trip

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
After reading the Astonishing Green Fee thread, I saw a couple of interest courses, and am looking for interesting ideas for a boys trip.

Anywhere in the UK, 2 or 3 nights, 3 or 4 rounds, we'll work travel around the chosen trip.

Had a look at the Welsh courses listed, never heard of them before but like the look of both Pennard and Machynys. That Maybe a good shout. I'm partial to links courses, but they're not essential.

We're ageing golfers, 55 - 67, happy with decent hotel and bar. Restaurant.

I know I can go on Golfbreaks et al, but am more after interesting recommendations from the faithful on here, for courses I may not have come across before.

Thanks

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'll pitch for Northumberland.

Stay in a dormy at Alnmouth GC, known as Foxton. Play there, Seahouses, Dunstanburgh and Goswick (most expensive so feel free to drop this one). The club can arrange the bookings.

You can eat and drink in the club or walk 10 minutes into Alnmouth, a lovely coastal village, where there are a decent number of pubs to choose from.

It's a smashing trip for that age spread.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Norfolk coast..?
We were due there last year and this but got cancelled both times.
We were to play Cromer, Hunstanton and Sheringham...Kings Lynn not a million miles away either..

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Southport plus one from too.. been lucky to play birkdale and hillside and can’t recommended them enough.

Thankfully they offered courtesy of the course to my better half ( who is Captian ) so worked out a cheaper deal for us both .

Sunningdale is the plan for later in the year just need to find another ( not as expensive course ) to play while we are down there .... any recommendations ?

D

Deleted Member 1156

After reading the Astonishing Green Fee thread, I saw a couple of interest courses, and am looking for interesting ideas for a boys trip.

Anywhere in the UK, 2 or 3 nights, 3 or 4 rounds, we'll work travel around the chosen trip.

Had a look at the Welsh courses listed, never heard of them before but like the look of both Pennard and Machynys. That Maybe a good shout. I'm partial to links courses, but they're not essential.

We're ageing golfers, 55 - 67, happy with decent hotel and bar. Restaurant.

I know I can go on Golfbreaks et al, but am more after interesting recommendations from the faithful on here, for courses I may not have come across before.

Thanks
There is a group of us on here that have entered the Pennard open in September and we have added on Tenby and Ashburnham. Sharing rooms in the Premier Inn so works out pretty cheap for a 3 day break. Maybe look at something similar?

Golfnut1957

Visit site

Stay in a dormy at Alnmouth GC, known as Foxton. Play there, Seahouses, Dunstanburgh and Goswick (most expensive so feel free to drop this one). The club can arrange the bookings.

You can eat and drink in the club or walk 10 minutes into Alnmouth, a lovely coastal village, where there are a decent number of pubs to choose from.

Agreed, can't go wrong with Northumberland and while I haven't played Seahouses we based ourselves there in the Bamburgh Castle hotel, highly recommended, as are Goswick and Dunstanburgh which is a must. Another to add to that list would be Bamburgh GC.

Further north the Scottish borders makes for a great trip, Hawick, Torwoodlee or Peebles and if in the area, West Linton is a must. Base yourselves in any of the towns, Melrose, Galashiels or Hawick they are all pretty quiet of an evening.

Harrogate makes a nice base. The classiest Weatherspoons in the land and you have to visit the Blues bar. Oakdale, Shipley, Skipton are all worth a visit and Ilkley is a course I've always fancied visiting.

Edit for the west coast, how could I forget the west coast. Stay in Workington or Carlisle. Definitely play Silloth and Seascale then add Brampton or Carlisle itself though i wasn't that impressed when we visited. Saving Par could help out with alternatives.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Me and a mate stayed in the dormy a couple of years ago. The rooms are a bit basic, more akin to a budget bnb rather than a 4 or 5 star hotel. They were spotless though and perfectly fine. Food is excellent. Bar was busy during the day, but quiet at night, just us and another couple of golfers. It was great value for money, 2 rounds of golf, dbb for £83. Will hopefully be doing it again this summer.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There is a group of us on here that have entered the Pennard open in September and we have added on Tenby and Ashburnham. Sharing rooms in the Premier Inn so works out pretty cheap for a 3 day break. Maybe look at something similar?

Opens or not. Great value golf in Wales. I'm at Pennard on 7th for the Pairs Open. Its ages since I played there. Ashburnham is well worth the trip ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Me and a mate stayed in the dormy a couple of years ago. The rooms are a bit basic, more akin to a budget bnb rather than a 4 or 5 star hotel. They were spotless though and perfectly fine. Food is excellent. Bar was busy during the day, but quiet at night, just us and another couple of golfers. It was great value for money, 2 rounds of golf, dbb for £83. Will hopefully be doing it again this summer.
That's why I mentioned the proximity to the village. They wouldn't want to spend 3 evenings like that but the pubs in alnmouth are a short walk away and are usually well populated. As you say, it's great value. Did you know they have a simulator there as well? Good fun.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Opens or not. Great value golf in Wales. I'm at Pennard on 7th for the Pairs Open. Its ages since I played there. Ashburnham is well worth the trip ?
See you there ?

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Depending how many of you there are Skipton golf club just converted the stewards house into a b n b for golfers. You can stay and play at preferential rates. Also lots good courses nearby. Keighley. Addingham, Ilkley, Bingley St Ives. otley. And a short taxi drive into Skipton with loads pubs and places to eat.