Golf trip ideas

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Having never done a designated golf trip, here's what I'd be looking for.

Possibly somewhere with unlimited golf and buggy hire. This means you could play 2 rounds in a day and not be absolutely knackered.
Certainly the 1st day, you are going to want to play more than 18 holes.
And what you spend in extra golf / buggies, you will save on off course activities (drinks).

I also wouldn't be adverse to playing the same course multiple times. Obviously the 1st time you play a course, you are learning the strategy and where the hazards are etc. For me, I would want to play it at least twice on a trip (assuming it was a decent, playable course)

I'd check the Fairmont St. Andrews out. Very nice surroundings and should be well set up for a golfing holiday with stay and play deals. Also other accommodation available nearby, caravans and B&Bs etc in the town.
Last time I was there, Fairmont were doing free transfers into the town. I think you needed to sort your own taxi home, but it was convenient to just rock up at reception and get a minibus into St. Andrews.
And they do bloody excellent breakfasts there.

I've played the Kittocks, which is a great course. Apparently the Torrance just as good, if not better (longer I believe).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Trump Aberdeen is fantastic, well worth it for a one off. Royal Aberdeen well worth it too.

Have you thought about Highlands?

Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Nairn do a stay and play package. plus plenty to do with the family, with Loch Ness and Dolphin watching in the Moray Firth great days out.

Plus if you wanted to play a few others, there's;
Tain
Fortrose
Brora
Golspie
Moray
Hopeman
Nairn Dunbar all close by and all good links courses

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Close House, Northumberland, are offering a deal for two rounds, one night stay that is worth looking at.

I did a Moortown & Alwoodley, Leeds, two round offer this year that was a great deal. Two wonderful courses. Check out the Alwoodley website for that one.

I'd imagine Close House would be wet and heavy going in early April?

That time of year I'd be looking at going abroad first with links or even heathland second.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd imagine Close House would be wet and heavy going in early April?

That time of year I'd be looking at going abroad first with links or even heathland second.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows what the weather will do. It is not an excessively soggy place though so it wouldn't worry me personally. You could choose a links course on the west coast of Scotland, have 40mph wind and torrential rain, it is the gamble of going in early April. It is why you get a deal at that time of year.

I get your point but I don't think the OP stated a restriction on links or heathland.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about the Kent coast? Sandwich is a lovely place and Cinque Ports and Princes are great even if you don’t play RSG. North Foreland also good.

Or wales? Some great courses over in the West. Tenby would be good for a family break but not sure there are enough other course in close proximity.

North Devon also a good option.