Golf Societies & Official Handicaps?

OLgolfer

Visit site
Hi all,

Is there anyway for a golf society to obtain official golf handicaps? Would a golf society ever be able to be affiliated or linked to a club to gain official handicaps?

I suspect the answer is no, but it would be great to see the powers that be allow and broaden how you can obtain official handicaps.

Welcome you wise words and wisdom

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No
Simply because the system relies on all scores capable of being uploaded to a central database at midnight and alterations to a players handicap being downloaded back to the computers at a club shortly thereafter. The whole lot being supported by very expensive software that is sold to clubs.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No
Simply because the system relies on all scores capable of being uploaded to a central database at midnight and alterations to a players handicap being downloaded back to the computers at a club shortly thereafter. The whole lot being supported by very expensive software that is sold to clubs.

lol do you honestly believe that is why clubs are the only ones who can administer handicaps?

OLgolfer

Visit site
No

Not sure this would be the reason why. Perhaps the fear of golfers leaving clubs may be one valid reason

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure this would be the reason why. Perhaps the fear of golfers leaving clubs may be one valid reason

Golf clubs are very reliant on membership to keep it alive. it’s a very valid reason and it needs to there to keep the sport going

Would you be ok as a society having to pay significant higher green fees as a society because they have lost members ?

There are lots of components to administering official handicaps - the fees , the time , the ISV front end. Is the society ok to spend over £2000 a year to be able to administer the handicaps into EG ? Are you ok paying the affiliation fees into the county and also governing bodies ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The

....might be...but I think the vast majority of the folk who play in the Socs I'm a member of are also club members.

Regulating club handicaps isn't fool proof.....society ones would be harder. Unless Socs signed up for more formalities. But that would defeat much if what is good about them!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i suppose it depends where you are. there is a Soc that played out of Nairn Dunbar called the " Eriskay Golf club" they have prev played from Tain and Torvean. it was a course in the Outer Hebrides. They Registered as a club with Scottish golf and operate as a sep club. they Run an open and i think the membership get to play 10 comps a year or the like, though i'm not sure.
They even entered a team in the Northern Counties cup which is a scratch 4somes comp. the lowest handicap in the team was 9 and the highest 13

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It might not be the only factor but is a major factor

see last para post #6

The only factor is that its been that way for ages and there is a massive vested interest from clubs to keep it that way, anything else is just excuses/reasons to maintain the status quo and keep clubs with what for many of them is their main selling point of membership! Far easier to change and complicate the system and keep hiding behind we are the only ones who can administer it and here is your ludicrously expensive piece of software to do it with

Theres no fundamental reason that software couldnt be provided to virtual clubs/societies to include fees for £50 a person a year IF there was an interest in doing so but its quite clear why the clubs dont want this to happen.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The only factor is that its been that way for ages and there is a massive vested interest from clubs to keep it that way, anything else is just excuses/reasons to maintain the status quo and keep clubs with what for many of them is their main selling point of membership! Far easier to change and complicate the system and keep hiding behind we are the only ones who can administer it and here is your ludicrously expensive piece of software to do it with

Theres no fundamental reason that software couldnt be provided to virtual clubs/societies to include fees for £50 a person a year IF there was an interest in doing so but its quite clear why the clubs dont want this to happen.

This may all be fundamentally true but it is a bit like owning anything made by Apple the only way to get a genuine part is from Apple. Like any business you want your customers to buy from you and not Joe Bloggs round the corner.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I never joined a club to get a handicap.... I joined a club so I can play golf regularly, cheaper cost per round and easier access to starting times. If any of my Socs "did" official handicaps, I can't imagine anyone packing in their club membership.

My club costs £1000 a year... if I play 40 times the cost per round is £25. I played in 3 society days this year, average cost £85 per day.

If "handicaps" are the "main selling point of a club".... their course must be pretty awful :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (I guess in Scotland "club" and "course" might have a different relationship)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I never joined a club to get a handicap.... I joined a club so I can play golf regularly, cheaper cost per round and easier access to starting times. If any of my Socs "did" official handicaps, I can't imagine anyone packing in their club membership.

My club costs £1000 a year... if I play 40 times the cost per round is £25. I played in 3 society days this year, average cost £85 per day.

If "handicaps" are the "main selling point of a club".... their course must be pretty awful :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: (I guess in Scotland "club" and "course" might have a different relationship)

Perfectly true for you and for the majority on here no doubt, especially if your average society day is £85

Now do the same calculation for the guy who plays less than 15 times a year whose average society day is £40

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If players aren’t playing regularly and aren’t interested in club golf, why would they won’t to have and pay for an official handicap.

Maybe he wants to play in an open comp, maybe he wants to play in a national knock out, maybe when he plays with his mate whos a member somewhere and hes likes to be able to tell him his handicap without an argument over it not being real and if he wins it not counting because his handicap isnt real, maybe he wants one for his ego, maybe he cant afford membership currently but wants to keep his handicap, maybe hes injured/ill and doesnt want to commit to the high annual cost of membership.

Theres lot of reasons but they dont fit with the picture of the clubs, membership and their members

Put it the other way, why are so many clubs and their members so against anyone else being able to administer official handicaps?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
..so maybe he doesnt really need an "official" handicap. Or he can pay a nominal fee to his local muni and get one? :)

Or maybe the system should be inclusive rather exclusive

oh heck what am i typing this is golf lol.....

Maybe some of you should try not being a member for a year or two