Golf sixes - Centurion GC

RW1986

Head Pro
Visit site
Ha I was just about to post this.
I'm really looking forward to this. Should bring a lot of interest from the younger golfers too. Which in my eyes is only a positive.

D

Deleted member 15344

Same weekend as the Wells Fargo , the week before the Players - wonder how many of the Top Europeans will be there ?

Also have to agree - fireworks and introduction music ? Why ?

And whilst the Centurion is a lovely course I'm not sure I agree with an event being played at a club with is exclusive with no green fees. Also wasn't in the greatest nick when I played there but certainly has the length to test

It is great that more golf is in the U.K. But I can't see this lasting long or attracting the top Europeans

Think Mr Pelley needs to understand that money talks not fireworks

If he wants to attract the best players to attract the fans then what's need is big prize funds

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I can see the appeal and the ET should be applauded for trying new things.
Will it attract youngsters to the game? Possibly will..
But it doesn't overcome the biggest problem of all..
Golf is difficult to get good at.
The people who will be attracted to golf by the "FizzBang" nature of this event are, I generally think, not the kind of people who want to spend a long time learning the game. They'll want fairly instant results and instant results don't go with golf.
Having said that, if it only a small percentage of those attending eventually get into golf then it will have succeeded in its goal.
I'm not sure it's something I'd like to go along to though...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it's a great idea although I wonder what RickG would have thought of it at his beloved Centurion. It's a good for TV format and anything that gets people interested in the game has to be good. I wonder if it'll move around if it carries on

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I think it's a great idea although I wonder what RickG would have thought of it at his beloved Centurion. It's a good for TV format and anything that gets people interested in the game has to be good. I wonder if it'll move around if it carries on
He would have loved it.:thup:

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this a good idea and I hope it all works out. I remember people were worried about 20-20 cricket when it was first introduced and i enjoyed that.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's got to be worth a try and see what the interest is. Anything that gets people interested in the game should be a positive.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see that it will attract the younger element, not unless they put a maximum time element on each shot which means none of the slow play currently offered by the pros.
Of course, if they wanted to try and make golf generally more attractive they could force the pace of play and stop the current comatose pace of play.