Golf sixes - Centurion GC

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you're in charge of something, I would've thought it would help if you knew something about it.

I understand he listens to the golfers that's the difference.

The other word is determination and he also seems to have a passion,albeit sometimes he comes across and little enthusiastic at times at least he is trying to improve the ET.

With big sponsers behind the ET like Rolex they can improve the game back here,there biggest hurdle is the weather.

Everytime I hear an interview in a warm country they all mention the reason they like it at that venue is the weather.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is it? I thought the Mauritius Open was still scheduled - to be played at Heritage at the end of November?

Might well be, I honestly just checked what was on that date last year (Trophee Hassan) which is now before Shenzen and China Open in last years Mauritius slot and didn't see Mauritius in that area of the schedule this year. Never scrolled down to November.

Edit: Just looked, its not on the ET schedule, only the seniors event in Dec scheduled on the main tours

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/38951040

The comments at the end of the article don't show a very positive feeling towards it

The questions asked were IMO quite good

1. Does golf need a short format ? Is it attempting to dumbing down the sport to appeal to people with short interest spans and if so how will that ultimately grow the game

2. Trying to show the game of golf can be inclusive to all by hosting the event at a course that doesn't accept green fees and membership fee that most can't justify or even afford

3. It's all still being shown on a media outlet that is subscriber only so how will it bring in "new golfers"

I wonder if they have ever thought the great way to help the game is to stop selling it soul to Sky , stop taking events to countries where no one goes to watch the players and maybe get the big prize money that is seen in the US

D

Deleted member 1418

Its replacing the silly Mauritius Open so all good in my book. We will see whether its a success or not and its definitely worth looking at options.

Mauritius or St Albans? Ummmm, tough choice.............!!! :whistle:

And yes Rick would've been in his element God bless him!

D

Deleted member 16999

Great to see them trying to raise it's profile, too many moaning about the weather and the lack of big names and the wrong choice of club, blah blah blah

They'll never win whatever they do with some people, to the general public Golf still has a stuffy image played by snobs on very expensive courses so the venue is irrelevant to some.

Better to aim for the stars and fail than not try at all.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

The comments at the end of the article don't show a very positive feeling towards it

1. Does golf need a short format ? Is it attempting to dumbing down the sport to appeal to people with short interest spans and if so how will that ultimately grow the game

2. Trying to show the game of golf can be inclusive to all by hosting the event at a course that doesn't accept green fees and membership fee that most can't justify or even afford

3. It's all still being shown on a media outlet that is subscriber only so how will it bring in "new golfers"

I wonder if they have ever thought the great way to help the game is to stop selling it soul to Sky , stop taking events to countries where no one goes to watch the players and maybe get the big prize money that is seen in the US

What choice is there. The BBC have no interest in golf and no other channel has shown any interest either. Sky have invested time and money into golf and whether you like it or not that's where its going to stay for the foreseeable future. Is it any different to the BMW at Wentworth with its ultra high green fees?

The publicity won't just be on Sky but will be in the press and social media so will reach a big audience

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site

The BBC PR dept is back again. 😴😴

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

This argument or similar is often touted - but l wonder about its relevance? After all, how many folk can just rock up & book a game at Wembley, Lords, or Twickenham?

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I think it's a great idea although I wonder what RickG would have thought of it at his beloved Centurion. It's a good for TV format and anything that gets people interested in the game has to be good. I wonder if it'll move around if it carries on

He would have loved it.:thup:

Pretty much what I thought and you could just see him right in the middle of it all with that inane grin of his, hobnobbing with the celebs and pros

With a pair of whiter than white trews and yes that grin.
Gawd I miss him :(

He would have been in his element, he was also like a big kid when he told me and swore me to secrecy about Paige Spirinac joining as an attached professional and making the Centurion her base for whenever she was in Europe and representing the club when she competed in any comps with the club’s crest prominent on her bag.

I think he would have made sure he got involved as he did with many things at the club and took it by the scruff of it's neck to help it work.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It will be great for the kids who can get to it. I like that they are trying to grow the game in anyway possible, but for me it wont hold much interest. I will likely watch it as I watch most golf that is on the TV, but I think they need to introduce more full length match play comps instead of trying to adjust normal 72 hole formats with an element of match play like they are this week in Perth.

I'm all for growing the game but there comes a point when you are just doing things for the sake of trying to be different. They want the big players to come over from America and to keep our rising stars but to me, a weekend of 6 hole matches isn't going to get the likes of Rickie, Jordan and Tiger over. Things like the Rolex series will, get these tournaments better advertised and spaced out around the schedule and you'll get the big names coming.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didn't we used to have "quick and easy " golf courses, minimal clubs or equipment needed?........oh yes it was called pitch and putt. I know of plenty when they were around that had your non golfer play and enjoy it.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looking forward to this:-

• Stands around the tees and greens
  • Caddies and players Mic'd up
  • POV cameras
  • Fireworks
  • Music
  • Fireworks
  • Interviews mid round
  • Additional social and digital media content
  • Team play

What's not to like about this? Yes we all love getting out and playing 18 holes, or watching the pro's on the TV, but an European Tour Event or PGA event are quite quiet bar the hushed musings of the on course commentators. So getting a fresh new look on the game, I think will appeal to a lot of people, both golfers and non golfers alike.