Golf Shoes - Life of DryJoys?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's not worth a company's while making shoes that "last forever" as it eats into margins of profit and repeat business. Footjoy, like Adidas or whoever want you to buy new shoes every year as it increases profit.

The largest fall in quality in golfing terms for me has been the Ping Hoofer golf bag. Used to be indestructible. I still have an original Hoofer that is only showing wear at the shoulder straps. The rest of the bag apart from it being dirty is immaculate.

The new Hoofer is made with cheap and nasty nylon and even cheaper plastic top. Nothing like the original. However Ping don't want golf bags lasting 20+ years.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's not worth a company's while making shoes that "last forever" as it eats into margins of profit and repeat business. Footjoy, like Adidas or whoever want you to buy new shoes every year as it increases profit.

Yes, but it has to be a balancing act. No good if the shoes fall apart within 6 months, otherwise that's going to lose loyalty.
If the quality deteriorates then it's no good the company wanting us to buy shoes year on year - that way they won't have customers and won't have any profit

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

The largest fall in quality in golfing terms for me has been the Ping Hoofer golf bag. Used to be indestructible. I still have an original Hoofer that is only showing wear at the shoulder straps. The rest of the bag apart from it being dirty is immaculate.

The new Hoofer is made with cheap and nasty nylon and even cheaper plastic top. Nothing like the original. However Ping don't want golf bags lasting 20+ years.

Just shows how technology has come on in shoe manufacturing. Thats some going having shoes that fall apart and let water in 12 months and 1 day after purchase.

its like the message on mission impossible TV series from the 60's... These shoes will self destruct in 53 weeks:rofl:

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use Footboy as I have no choice. I have Ecco ordinary shoes and they are superb - but I emailed them to find out where I could buy size 50 Ecco golf shoes. They replied that they don't make them that large.

I can only get shoes through the Myjoys route now.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Granted I have a number of pairs to choose from but even the new models I have are still going strong and I haven't noticed a decline in production standards or I've been very lucky with the makes/models I've had. That said I am always in the market for new shoes and will be looking at Ecco and Adidas again but have had previous issues with sizing so not overly confident

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Got a pair going back next week.
3 rounds, last one in heavy dew and light drizzle and this is the result
View attachment 23387

Had the same issue with Ecco, dreadful customer service after leaking. Replaced the first pair as a "Goodwill gesture" second pair were just as bad.

The pro didn't believe me when I told him that the replacement ones we're also letting in.

I took my shoes off and showed him my dry socks, went for a walk up the semi rough at the first, came back in and showed him my soaking socks. Start of another fight with Ecco.