Golf Random Irritations

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm booked to play tomorrow morning. Probably the last time I will play at my current club before I move on. No rain due, woohooo, but they are forecasting strong winds and up to 40mph gusts :rolleyes:. It's windy here already but this is just a warm up to what is due. Frustrating to finish on a flat note.
just looked at the BBC forecast, blowing an absolute gale tomorrow, then rain every day for a week from Monday. Depressing is an understatement.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Lamkin grips on my new irons and driver. I have used Lamkin standard grips for the best part of 20 years. However, Lamkin now seem to have changed their spec and the new style of Lamkin standard grips are ever so slightly thicker than the previous ones. When I ordered the clubs with those grips I didn’t know that Lamkin had changed the style of them, I just assumed they would be the same as they have always been. I have tried to adjust to them during the last couple of months but I can feel that they are too thick. Not happy as I now have to fork out to renew them. 🤬

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Could not believe what I saw at our course today. Greenkeepers have been doing some grass cutting when conditions permit (even when they don't by the look of some of the tractor ruts on the fairways) but today a guy was on our wettest hole with tractor and gang mower, he cut some drier areas but then made a few passes through some of the wettest areas where there's plainly standing water.

There was literally a bow wave ahead of the cutters that was 8 or 10 inches high!

Madness!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When we book online for comps we have to pay. If there is not enough money on your account you cannot enter or be entered by someone else.

When I send out who is playing with whom I always include a reminder to everybody to check their balance.

Sure enough tonight two players without enough in their accounts to be booked in.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well yeah, that's what I'm about to do. Knowing my luck I'll order the new spikes and then the shoe itself will break in a week's time. :LOL:
That happened to me once. Changed all the spikes and the following week the upper on one shoe came away from the sole. Another annoyance being that I have never had another pair that used the same system (Qlock).

PS I break or lose spikes quite frequently, changed 3 in 3 weeks recently.

Mandofred

Visit site
I'm booked to play tomorrow morning. Probably the last time I will play at my current club before I move on. No rain due, woohooo, but they are forecasting strong winds and up to 40mph gusts :rolleyes:. It's windy here already but this is just a warm up to what is due. Frustrating to finish on a flat note.
I think I may have done that today myself.....only 11 holes open and it's just too sloppy to want to go back. Group comp tomorrow at the new course....windy, but not tooooo bad.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First fun comp of the season scheduled for tomorrow has had to be cancelled because it’s been too wet for the greenkeepers to get the mower on the course. Fully agree with the decision, but was looking forward to it after not playing for nine weeks due to a mixture of feet and knee problems.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've suggested changing the handicap tonight. I offered 3 way vote

1. I will work out everyone who doesn't have golf England handicap over this season and last then next year bring in
2. Lowest handicap of the 2
3. Stay as is

Only 2 people have agreed with me making it 3

Rest are all "it's a bit of fun"

It's really not as fun as they think tbh.

I worked out today's scores with people's golf England. It was so much more even and someone who has been so out of form at my club actually won by 2 shots. Felt like he played amazing today. Robbed of a win

The "winner" today still scored 37 points!!!!!

For me id like to once finish top 3 of the overall year scores. It's best 5 scores over the season. Last year I got 4 scores mid 30s then one in the 20s

Didn't stand a chance. When people hit 42 often ..

They are like but he's cut. He got cut 4.75 today .. so will be off 21. So still 15 too high. I think I'll just predict him winner now as 47 plus a high score next time is a massive head start.

At breakfast when I heard he was off 26 I checked golf England. Gave the old bandit dig.. and predicted he will win by 5

So I kind of won. Because he won by 5 🤣
If they say it's a bit of fun. Don't play anything into the kitty to pay out for winners. Just say "It's just a bit of fun....isn't it?"

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they say it's a bit of fun. Don't play anything into the kitty to pay out for winners. Just say "It's just a bit of fun....isn't it?"

To be fair lol that's what I said to the organiser. If it's a bit of fun just charge us 2s club as that's an actual chance of winning.

Didn't go down well , won't be making the effort to take leave or swap shifts next season. Will see out this season as my leave is booked and away trip is paid for.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
just looked at the BBC forecast, blowing an absolute gale tomorrow, then rain every day for a week from Monday. Depressing is an understatement.
after some deliberation, took my name off the sheet to play this morning.

took the dogs out instead (normally the wife's job on a Saturday morning), and realised right away I'd made the right decision, it's wild out there.

At least it should dry the course out a bit.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
We played Friday with 11 holes open following some rain on Thursday.

By some miracle the course had recovered sufficiently for 18 holes to be open yesterday. Of course this had nothing to do with it being the Captain's farewell Texas scramble yesterday and while I didn't play in that I did play in the afternoon, the course is drying well, and they were justified in opening all 18 yesterday.

After a dry night I woke up this morning to find that there is only 15 holes on today. It does bug me, but as I'm not playing today I'll those that are create a fuss.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How in hells name do you shoot 21 shots lower today than yesterday with the same weather!
Did you only play the front nine today?🤣

I sometimes wonder that when I play 36 holes in one day. The difference between the am and pm scores can be baffling.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I jokingly commented that a friend he his gym gear (tee shirt and shorts) on yesterday to play-

His response was “it’s under armour so it golf stuff”