Golf Random Irritations

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
You hit a putt, its tracking towards the hole, its 2 feet out from dropping, one of your group says "great putt", the ball then takes a 90 degree change in direction, kisses the edge of the hole and drifts by.

Why can the idiot who said "great putt", keep his gob shut??!!

We've got one of these. Every time he says it, out it goes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've been struggling, for the last few rounds, with my 4 wood..couldn't figure out why
I was hitting it well last week but now.....?
Top tip....don't mess with the settings on your adjusclub when you've found one that works...
I changed the setting last week playing solo to try something and forgot to put it back....
Wot a donut :rolleyes:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People saying holes-in-one when, in my head, it should be hole-in-ones.
Also, when a putt gets spat out of the hole directly back at you, people refer to it as a 360º lip out when, in fact, it's a 180º lip out.
More like 270° to me if the lip out starts at the nine o’clock position and comes back out at the six o’clock position when seen from the player’s view, and assuming it is a dead straight putt.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
£17 for a pack of Champ spikes at my local independent golf store!!!

SEVENTEEN QUID!!!!

What happened to the days where your pro had a bucket full loose on his counter and you could buy just the amount you needed for a couple of quid....like when you used to buy 4 blackjacks for a penny from the corner shop?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
£17 for a pack of Champ spikes at my local independent golf store!!!

SEVENTEEN QUID!!!!

What happened to the days where your pro had a bucket full loose on his counter and you could buy just the amount you needed for a couple of quid....like when you used to buy 4 blackjacks for a penny from the corner shop?

Bet there is not quite enough for both shoes in the pack as well.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Bet there is not quite enough for both shoes in the pack as well.
that would have been an unbearable insult to injury...however given that shoes these days seem to have less spikes than a herd of common unicorns there were plenty enough to do a pair...trouble is...i had two pairs to do so had to buy 2 packs!!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
perspective right there

forget the 'you' part, the ball travelled (nearly) 360º around the hole

Edit, apologies its your irritation so I'll let it drop anyway

No need to apologise, it's an interesting debate ........................ although I am correct. ;)
Bear with me, please.
The ball at best catches the hole, say, on the left hand edge, we'll call it the west, then spins around the north of the hole before coming back at the golfer having left the hole from it's eastern edge.
West to north is 90º and north to east is also 90º, therefore the ball's done 180º.
Again, in my head, for a 360º lip out the ball would have to leave the hole where it entered, therefore completing a full circle.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No need to apologise, it's an interesting debate ........................ although I am correct. ;)
Bear with me, please.
The ball at best catches the hole, say, on the left hand edge, we'll call it the west, then spins around the north of the hole before coming back at the golfer having left the hole from it's eastern edge.
West to north is 90º and north to east is also 90º, therefore the ball's done 180º.
Again, in my head, for a 360º lip out the ball would have to leave the hole where it entered, therefore completing a full circle.

Cool that you’re ok to chat it over. I agree there’s a 180 difference in the balls' direction of travel but I usually lean towards the (inaccurate) use of describing it as a 360 over a 180

‘Inaccurate’ because we both know a ball very rarely travels around the entire hole edge to make it a proper 360 but it’s probably close enough to keep up pace of play rather than trying to figure out if it was 250, 270, 320 etc ;)

The reason I lean towards using the 360 description is that no-one I’ve ever met describes a ball returning directly back towards them after bouncing off the flagstick as “doing a 180” (which I’m sure you’ll agree is exactly what has happened to it)
That tells me that it’s not the overall direction of travel of the ball that golfers refer to when describing what has happened to their shot/ball (y)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Back to 16 holes again as 15 and 16 are closed after the heavy rain last night. Will be touch and go that they are in place for the honour board event over Easter. Mind you it's a bogey comp and I'm usually 6 or 7 down after round 1 so won't be too fussed lol

On a glass half full point of view, clocks change at the weekend so time to get out after work to play 9 holes or do some serious and constructive practice ready for the season (weather permitting of course)

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing at Came Down this afternoon which is very exposed to the weather. It is currently lashing down and blowing a gale😢. Hopefully it calms down before then.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing at Came Down this afternoon which is very exposed to the weather. It is currently lashing down and blowing a gale😢. Hopefully it calms down before then.
Weather forecast was for no rain during the afternoon. They lied. Soaked and frozen from the third hole until we finished. Gave up after 10 holes. A long time since my hands were that cold. No feeling in the fingers of my right hand. On the plus side, my waterproofs still work perfectly.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
People saying holes-in-one when, in my head, it should be hole-in-ones.
Also, when a putt gets spat out of the hole directly back at you, people refer to it as a 360º lip out when, in fact, it's a 180º lip out.
Now that the 360° topic is in debate, I'll take up the other one to annoy further and say that holes-in-one is correct. Of course, you can have what you like in your head - but it's wrong. :)