Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The greens being tined, slit and top dressed this morning...
That's not the irritation - the work needs doing
The fact that it was only decided at 6.30 this morning to do it isn't really the irritation either. The weather window opened and if they didn't do it now it could be a while before they would have another chance...
The irritation is that, as we didn't know, we signed in for a general play card, went off the 10th ( that hadn't been "done"), playing a blinder for 6 holes until we came across a tractor digging dirty great holes in the green and a sander waiting to fill the holes up.
Putting became impossible after that so we abandoned the cards and the GM cancelled them when we got in....
Could have been a good day.....

At least you got 6 good holes in, glass half full (y)

Ours got done this week too, fortunately we knew about it well in advance so played front 9 twice while they did the back 9
21 greens all done now though & I'm playing at other courses for the next two weeks while they get back to normal

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
The greens being tined, slit and top dressed this morning...
That's not the irritation - the work needs doing
The fact that it was only decided at 6.30 this morning to do it isn't really the irritation either. The weather window opened and if they didn't do it now it could be a while before they would have another chance...
The irritation is that, as we didn't know, we signed in for a general play card, went off the 10th ( that hadn't been "done"), playing a blinder for 6 holes until we came across a tractor digging dirty great holes in the green and a sander waiting to fill the holes up.
Putting became impossible after that so we abandoned the cards and the GM cancelled them when we got in....
Could have been a good day.....

Ours got done about 4 weeks ago and they are back even better and that’s saying something as they have been immaculate all year.
Our green keepers have done a cracking job.

evemccc

Visit site
That’s nothing. Try being an Open and DP World Tour venue. ?

No sympathy with that..?

Having played at nearly all of the Open venues I would be over the moon to be a member at one — even if there were a few restrictions every 7/8 years of hosting it

Mandofred

Visit site
WHY? Every time I am about to knock off a low score.....I play well, and my handicap stays the same? Knocked a 4 over score off today....with a horrible +5 score.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Don't try to distract me with facts.......facts are, evil.
? well played by the way.

I recall last year I shot a 'several under hcp' round and the team captain was giving me (jokey) grief with match upcoming. Told him not to sweat as I knew my best ever comp round was dropping off. Was right on boundary and I gained a playing hcp shot! Messed with his head!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played a shot into a greenside bunker. Get to bunker and a playing companions ball is in there also. I saw the big B on one of them…that’s my ball. I proceed to play it out. Playing companion goes to play his and tells me I’ve played his ball. Eh? Turns out he had changed his ball after losing one earlier in the round and hadn‘t mentioned make to rest of us - he had changed to same make as mine.

My fault 100%. Just very irritated at my own carelessness.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Paying attention to the weather forecast, was for heavy rain all day...95% as well. Stayed in bed and didn't go this morning which will prob be my last game for a few weeks as my fingers are getting rebroken and fused on Tuesday. No a drop all morning?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Played a shot into a greenside bunker. Get to bunker and a playing companions ball is in there also. I saw the big B on one of them…that’s my ball. I proceed to play it out. Playing companion goes to play his and tells me I’ve played his ball. Eh? Turns out he had changed his ball after losing one earlier in the round and hadn‘t mentioned make to rest of us - he had changed to same make as mine.

My fault 100%. Just very irritated at my own carelessness.

Hmmm Don't know if the recent changes to rules affected this scenario.
But it used to be that playing the wrong ball from a hazard did not incur a penalty!
No doubt someone more up on rules will enlighten ?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Paying attention to the weather forecast, was for heavy rain all day...95% as well. Stayed in bed and didn't go this morning which will prob be my last game for a few weeks as my fingers are getting rebroken and fused on Tuesday. No a drop all morning?

The last thing I would be worried about was whether it was raining or not:(

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hmmm Don't know if the recent changes to rules affected this scenario.
But it used to be that playing the wrong ball from a hazard did not incur a penalty!
No doubt someone more up on rules will enlighten ?
I’ve submitted the card I was doing - i guess I’m stuck with the 7 I recorded rather than the 5 for the shots i hit.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Our vice captain died unexpectedly of a heart attack this year, early 50s. He was always an advocate of more "fun comps" at the club as we have so much serious stuff.

His widow has donated a cup, we're playing for it tomorrow. It is "3 clubs and a putter, teams of 3, best 2 scores at each hole counting . Yellow tees."

The irritation is that one of our group is refusing to play as, "3 clubs and a putter isnt proper golf" so he's off somewhere else tomorrow.

He doesn't work, and plays several rounds a week. Its a memorial day for a nice bloke... crikey, what's up with some folk?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Our vice captain died unexpectedly of a heart attack this year, early 50s. He was always an advocate of more "fun comps" at the club as we have so much serious stuff.

His widow has donated a cup, we're playing for it tomorrow. It is "3 clubs and a putter, teams of 3, best 2 scores at each hole counting . Yellow tees."

The irritation is that one of our group is refusing to play as, "3 clubs and a putter isnt proper golf" so he's off somewhere else tomorrow.

He doesn't work, and plays several rounds a week. Its a memorial day for a nice bloke... crikey, what's up with some folk?

You're right to be irritated. Can't he see what the day is about?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I’ve submitted the card I was doing - i guess I’m stuck with the 7 I recorded rather than the 5 for the shots i hit.

I've since looked. Seems that it was not a penalty along ,long time ago?
But it is now!
Reason I remember it , is an (allegedly true) story about the worst cheat ever.

Two chaps in a match. Both hit to the green. One ball goes into a bunker.
The other is also short but not in the bunker.
The "cheat" , walking ahead, walks up to the short ball and looks at it.
Then walks to the bunker and plays that ball.
Opponent, seeing this, assumes his ball is the short one. And plays it on to the green.
Both balls on the green. Cheat walks to the ball he played out of the bunker, looks at it and declares( rightly) that they have each played the wrong ball.
Claims the hole on the basis that opponent incurs penalty for playing wrong ball, whereas his playing of the wrong ball from a hazard did not incur a penalty!

Where do they come from, eh?