Golf Random Irritations

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've since looked. Seems that it was not a penalty along ,long time ago?
But it is now!
Reason I remember it , is an (allegedly true) story about the worst cheat ever.

Two chaps in a match. Both hit to the green. One ball goes into a bunker.
The other is also short but not in the bunker.
The "cheat" , walking ahead, walks up to the short ball and looks at it.
Then walks to the bunker and plays that ball.
Opponent, seeing this, assumes his ball is the short one. And plays it on to the green.
Both balls on the green. Cheat walks to the ball he played out of the bunker, looks at it and declares( rightly) that they have each played the wrong ball.
Claims the hole on the basis that opponent incurs penalty for playing wrong ball, whereas his playing of the wrong ball from a hazard did not incur a penalty!

Where do they come from, eh?
What a d... head!
Similar happened to me recently in a match.

I hit my drive left of fairway in to semi rough. Walked up to the ball, exactly where I thought it was, played it and my opponent said you've hit my ball, that's loss of hole. I thought fair enough my mistake.

But annoyingly my playing partner was nicely placed on the green for two and I said that we've lost the hole. OK he said and walked to the next hole and accepted it.

Got back in the clubhouse and mentioned it to my mates and of course they said rightly that I was out of the hole but not my playing partner.

I wouldn't call it cheating, just none of us knowing the rules.
Needless to say it was a lesson learned and it won't happen again.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mate had an absolute strop and ruined the atmosphere somewhat. He'd had a reasonable front nine, but then lost a ball unexpectedly on the 9th, missed a casual tap-in for a point (hey we've all been there) on the 10th, and then did that again on the 11th and his head was completely gone. We barely had a word out of him after that. He just hits the ball and walks straight after it. If it was not immediately visible he just gave up looking for it and marched to the next tee. Would rather he just walked off the course, there was no point in him being there.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The price of golf umbrellas. I have been looking on line to buy a new one and for what they are the prices are scary. My last one was chucked in the bin on Friday after a gust of wind blew over my trolley which caused the handle of the brolly to shatter.

They are a bit like waterproofs, you need them and buy the best you can afford, but ultimately you never want to use them.

D

Deleted member 15344

The complete inability of the group in front to be able to keep up with the 3 ball in front of them meaning they then proceeded to hold up the majority of the field - selfish doorknobs

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What a d... head!

I hit my drive left of fairway in to semi rough. Walked up to the ball, exactly where I thought it was, played it and my opponent said you've hit my ball, that's loss of hole. I thought fair enough my mistake.

But annoyingly my playing partner was nicely placed on the green for two and I said that we've lost the hole. OK he said and walked to the next hole and accepted it.

Got back in the clubhouse and mentioned it to my mates and of course they said rightly that I was out of the hole but not my playing partner.

How do you know that he doesn't know the rule... :unsure:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
WITB postings as soon as someone wins a professional event...
Why?
Do they think that just because some Pro won with XYZ irons with extra stiff PX shafts and a Prototype driver with a similarly unavailable shaft is going to get us racing out to buy the same equipment?
Also...a Ping or Taylormade or Callaway sponsored player wins with a full bag of..
Does anyone find this interesting?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why?
Do they think that just because some Pro won with XYZ irons with extra stiff PX shafts and a Prototype driver with a similarly unavailable shaft is going to get us racing out to buy the same equipment?
Also...a Ping or Taylormade or Callaway sponsored player wins with a full bag of..
I'm not likely to buy something just because a pro uses it, but I do find these interesting. Not when it's a full sponsored bag obviously, but when a player is using more forgiving irons than you'd expect, or a 3 wood that's like 10 years old. Or even when they're not sponsored for a full bag it's mildly interesting to see which driver, irons, etc they would choose to use.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I decided to clean my clubs and bag after they all got wet yesterday. I thought my H2N0 bag was leaking badly as the golf ball pocket was horribly wet and a bit sticky - so that's what happened to the banana a couple of weeks back ??

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Why?

“Win on Sunday, sell on Monday” was the expression they used to use in the motorcycle racing world, so I don’t see why golf would be any different. Bag sponsorship is merely another form of advertising, they want their payback.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not likely to buy something just because a pro uses it, but I do find these interesting. Not when it's a full sponsored bag obviously, but when a player is using more forgiving irons than you'd expect, or a 3 wood that's like 10 years old. Or even when they're not sponsored for a full bag it's mildly interesting to see which driver, irons, etc they would choose to use.

I love it that Justin Rose used a 10 year old 3 wood and that, when it finally broke, he found another one, supposedly on eBay. ?

D

Deleted member 23270

With Fragger having Flu and Covid boosters on Saturday it means Sunday won't be a good day to play as his arms are going to be dead...some may say that'll improve things but I couldn't possibly comment..
So we have to play Saturday...
I'm working early, he has his jabs at 9 and 5 but between those times there are copious roll ups and a set of club matches going out too...
Looks we may only have a window of 30 minutes or so..let's hope not too many other people turn up at the same time...
If only there was a way to know......:unsure:
Don't be so antisocial, join one of the rollups ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love it that Justin Rose used a 10 year old 3 wood and that, when it finally broke, he found another one, supposedly on eBay. ?
Are you sure that's Rose and not Stenson? Stenson famously has used a Callaway Diablo Octane for nigh on 15 years. A few years ago he did replace it, but I think he's gone back to it so maybe he got that one on Ebay!

venger

Visit site
Stuck in a long queue yesterday for about 5 holes on the front nine. suddenly cleared on the back nine. Later found out that a 4 ball (only playing nine holes) were not letting anybody faster than them play through as it was "Their day and we are playing our way"

Last edited:

sjw

Visit site
Stuck in a long queue yesterday for about 5 holes on the front nine. suddenly cleared on the back nine. Later found out that a 4 ball were not letting anybody faster than them play through as it was "Their day and we are playing our way"
Which course are you playing?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you sure that's Rose and not Stenson? Stenson famously has used a Callaway Diablo Octane for nigh on 15 years. A few years ago he did replace it, but I think he's gone back to it so maybe he got that one on Ebay!

Ah, you are probably right … I knew that it was a tall, fair haired bloke ?

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What a d... head!

Funnily enough, this was covered this week on the National Club Golfer blog.

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/rules-of-golf-explained-fourball-penalties/