Golf Random Irritations

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My golfing mate who moans about everything thats wrong with his game, which is everything, but despite me telling him what to do about it, PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!, he does nothing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wanted to practise a bit before dinner as haven't played since two weekends ago and we have a quarter final match tomorrow. Drove to the only driving range near me, and it's shut because of 'waste spillage' from the restaurant above causing 'contamination'. WTF? Too late to drive to the next nearest one that's actually open which is basically out in Borehamwood. The one I used to go to in Northwick Park has reopened.. but as a TopGolf style 'BigShots' game where you have to book bays and it costs loads. There's just such a lack of driving ranges near me. I just drove straight home again having not hit anything. :mad:
Wife wanted a bit of practise because she hasn't played in a while and we were thinking of going out Sunday. Had a look at this BigShots place, their bookings are £20 for an hour (but unlimited balls) - but I tried to go through the booking page and nothing available until 14th Feb! What?? Rang up the Bushey one to see if they've reopened yet, no answer. Every other driving range I can think of that's open in the evening is half an hour's drive away.

Makes it even more galling that the old Oxhey one that closed down 4 or 5 years back is still sat there, derelict. Literally a 3 minute drive away. I really wish someone would take hold of it and give it another go. We've even jokingly talked about doing it ourselves - the only things holding us back are no money, no idea who you even buy it off, and absolutely no knowledge of how to run a driving range. :LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Wife wanted a bit of practise because she hasn't played in a while and we were thinking of going out Sunday. Had a look at this BigShots place, their bookings are £20 for an hour (but unlimited balls) - but I tried to go through the booking page and nothing available until 14th Feb! What?? Rang up the Bushey one to see if they've reopened yet, no answer. Every other driving range I can think of that's open in the evening is half an hour's drive away.

Makes it even more galling that the old Oxhey one that closed down 4 or 5 years back is still sat there, derelict. Literally a 3 minute drive away. I really wish someone would take hold of it and give it another go. We've even jokingly talked about doing it ourselves - the only things holding us back are no money, no idea who you even buy it off, and absolutely no knowledge of how to run a driving range. :LOL:
Aprart from that it sounds like a cracking idea.....:ROFLMAO:

sunshine

Visit site

They used to have a 9 hole pitch and putt with astro turf greens - is that still there too?

What about the range near the Polish War Memorial? I think it's called West London Golf Centre

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
They used to have a 9 hole pitch and putt with astro turf greens - is that still there too?
I don't remember that at Oxhey Park. It was a pretty scruffy 9 hole with grass greens. (Well, when I say grass, I mean a variety of green growing stuff mowed to a fairly short length). Last time I walked near it (during lockdown #1) there wasn't much to see of the course. The driving range is now overgrown and the old clubhouse & range bays look in a sorry state.

The last guy who ran it is now one of the pros at Sandy Lodge.

I have been told that back in the day, Oxhey Park was a championship course that held qualifiers for The Open, and Carpenders Park railway station was originally built to service the golf course. After WW2 large swathes of it were used to rehouse people away from London. You can still make out some of the old tee boxes in South Oxhey playing fields.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

What about the range near the Polish War Memorial? I think it's called West London Golf Centre
That one is half an hour's drive for us also. Every one I looked up was the same, annoyingly. A1 in Borehamwood, half hour drive, Wexham Park, half hour drive, ha.

I don't remember that at Oxhey Park. It was a pretty scruffy 9 hole with grass greens. (Well, when I say grass, I mean a variety of green growing stuff mowed to a fairly short length). Last time I walked near it (during lockdown #1) there wasn't much to see of the course. The driving range is now overgrown and the old clubhouse & range bays look in a sorry state.

I have been told that back in the day, Oxhey Park was a championship course that held qualifiers for The Open, and Carpenders Park railway station was originally built to service the golf course. After WW2 large swathes of it were used to rehouse people away from London. You can still make out some of the old tee boxes in South Oxhey playing fields.
I didn't know about the latter part. When I got back into golf 5-6 years back and one of my mates was just starting out we used to play the 9 holer though. It was a fiver on Fridays, nice and short and good practise. Would have been ideal for my wife who's a beginner now. Oh well.

sunshine

Visit site

The astro turf greens was almost 20 years ago. I bought a Yonex carbon driver there. Not been back since.

If you're local you may find this interesting:
Oxhey Golf Club, South Oxhey. (1912 - 1952) (golfsmissinglinks.co.uk)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk

My missus lived in Carpenters Park when she was a young kid so your mention of it I got my interest - had a search for history of the course and there's some interesting stuff from the club minutes on how it closed here

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I asked our pro shop to change two grips to standard wrap-around grips. Picked them today and they've put compound ones on. Bit annoying because they're adjustable clubs so if you adjust them they'll be facing the wrong way. ?

Also they'd put some treatment on some of the greens, causing blue stuff to go on my golf ball and then subsequently onto my hands - and it doesn't wash off! ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
there is a major shortage of all grips

Clearly. I was luck then to get the one for my old Ping putter. Want to change to Ping Cadence grip as it is hard and doesn't feel great in the hands but suddenly unless you want the standard Ping putter grip (thin black one) then a big shortage. Do you think if my pro ordered directly from Ping it would be quicker than ordering from Adore Grips or Gamola

D

Deleted member 23270

Also they'd put some treatment on some of the greens, causing blue stuff to go on my golf ball and then subsequently onto my hands - and it doesn't wash off! ?
I suggest you stay away from cheesy Wotsits when your missus goes out and you fire up the laptop ;)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have reverted to our "rock up and play" format as directed by our Constitution.
Booking only on Tuesday mornings (ladies) and Sunday mornings (men)
Thats the way it has been for many years......
We had a vote on retaining the booking system used during the worst of covid but it was heavily defeated by the elder generation of the club who seem to be quite happy to stand around for 40 minutes waiting to play and then take 4 1/2 hours to play a 3 1/4 hour round
I'm baffled by it....
If it was heavily defeated, doesn't that simply mean a lot more people wanted option "X" than those who didn't? ("Ok, so we know there's a lot more of you who want this than don't, but you dont count because you're old/French/Zoroastrians (delete as appropriate")). Only asking?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it was heavily defeated, doesn't that simply mean a lot more people wanted option "X" than those who didn't? ("Ok, so we know there's a lot more of you who want this than don't, but you dont count because you're old/French/Zoroastrians (delete as appropriate")). Only asking?
Yes..but...and this is where a lot of us had an issue with what happened..
The Board was against the idea of retaining the booking system...and they sent out an email advising members to vote against the motion. So anyone who either couldn't make up their mind or are swayed by what the Board says voted against. Plus, the Old Guard mobilised a 3 line whip...if you didn't vote against....well, there might not be a place in the rollup next week..
I'm not convinced it was right for the Board to do that but there you are.
All got too political...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Putting an old favourite in the bag, the Ping Cadence Anser. The white paint on the blue face is chipping away which is annoying visually but stroked it lovely over the weekend but can't buy a putt. Two 30 points which with a few putts dropping could have been well into the 40's and competitive. Now the nights are stretching out I think a few sessions on the practice green are required