Golf Random Irritations

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I expected you to be cut from thicker cloth than that.
Feeling the cold of late old boy, my poor old bones don't like it, especially as I still have to walk the dog for a min of 3 hours a day as well. Not that long ago I would play in any weather and it didn't bother me, not any longer. ☹

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Fresh clear blue skies for pretty much most of the week here, today, pouring rain forecast all day :mad:
We've got blue sky at the moment, but it doesn't matter, the course is closed all weekend following our second dose of snow in 7 days rendering it sodden.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sticky hot today, ball seemed to lose lots of distance in the humidity (that's my excuse anyway) but it played really long. Hate not using several irons during the round.
Everything was big club, big club

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Trying to watch the golf at the Hero World Challenge but finding myself watching anything and everything but actual golf. I've given up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Offered to captain an academy Texas scramble team in a little academy comp today - thinking I wouldn’t be needed and rather hoping I wouldn’t be given how poor I was yesterday - but yup - heard this morning…needed. Ah well…maybe it’s what I need after yesterday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have one par 3 with a stream / ditch in front of it. It's an absolute magnet for golf balls. Yesterday had no breeze around, i took the appropriate club, took a little off it as normal, hit it sweetly and mid flight realised i had forgotten to account for the 3C temp and reduction in distance. Straight in, plank ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Offered to captain an academy Texas scramble team in a little academy comp today - thinking I wouldn’t be needed and rather hoping I wouldn’t be given how poor I was yesterday - but yup - heard this morning…needed. Ah well…maybe it’s what I need after yesterday.
Well we know how golf goes and so of course, after the disappointments of my play yesterday, this pm I somehow remembered how to play golf and played 7 holes in 1 under gross…and my TS team had fun.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So…we ban trolleys from heather and encourage those carrying to keep to paths and not take shortcuts through heather as paths will be formed and heather trodden down. But still some persist in trudging through the heather and start creating worn paths through it.

And so we put up ‘low level‘ roping alongside path where players are heading into the heather…and sure enough - like the Maginot Line that isn’t defence enough for the heather as the persistent go round the end of the rope - to walk through the heather….honestly…??

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Believeing the weather forecast, 90% chance of rain and 40mph wind this morning so didn't go to golf, cue, it being dry sunny and no wind?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So…we ban trolleys from heather and encourage those carrying to keep to paths and not take shortcuts through heather as paths will be formed and heather trodden down. But still some persist in trudging through the heather and start creating worn paths through it.

And so we put up ‘low level‘ roping alongside path where players are heading into the heather…and sure enough - like the Maginot Line that isn’t defence enough for the heather as the persistent go round the end of the rope - to walk through the heather….honestly…??

Not taking away from the irritation but if the ‘player made’ paths have such a volume of traffic is it worth suggesting the club actually make a proper path in those few areas or at least figure out why players don’t use the proper path & fixing that problem (i.e temp casual water perhaps)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not taking away from the irritation but if the ‘player made’ paths have such a volume of traffic is it worth suggesting the club actually make a proper path in those few areas or at least figure out why players don’t use the proper path & fixing that problem (i.e temp casual water perhaps)
More often than not it's just laziness and people wanting to take the straightest 'as the crow flies' route rather than walk round something I reckon.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
More often than not it's just laziness and people wanting to take the straightest 'as the crow flies' route rather than walk round something I reckon.

Oh I get it, but if its that 'popular' and unless there's a good reason not to, why not have the path on the straightest/quickest route?

we've prob all seen this
e0792913-1bc5-42b8-b965-7565ab94babb_Screen-Shot-2019-05-13-at-15.36.58.png

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh I get it, but if its that 'popular' and unless there's a good reason not to, why not have the path on the straightest/quickest route?

we've prob all seen this
View attachment 39828
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm all for 'lazy efficiency' as I like to call it. I don't know the situation at SILH's course, it's probably similar to what you've shown there - designed in a way as to look nice, but people will have their own ideas and operate purely pragmatically.