Golf Random Irritations

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm all for 'lazy efficiency' as I like to call it. I don't know the situation at SILH's course, it's probably similar to what you've shown there - designed in a way as to look nice, but people will have their own ideas and operate purely pragmatically.
‘Heather carries’ off a couple of tees. We have good paths that run alongside heather areas, but if a poor tee shot ends up in the heather, then rather than take the path to alongside where their ball is and walk into it, they walk directly towards it through the heather.

Now OK, I can see why I might want to walk straight to where I think my ball is, but my irritation is that the greens team have roped along the side of the path with the very clear wish that players do not walk through the heather at that point as you can see a worn path has been created but please use the path then walk in; with the walk in from the path almost always being much shorter and less damaging to the heather (that is relatively new and being cultivated). But some persist in walking into the heather immediately the roping ends, so clearly not getting the point that the visual clue the roping is giving us.

Anyway…it irritates me but only mildly…and the greens team will rope off more if things worsen…

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Heather carries’ off a couple of tees. We have good paths that run alongside heather areas, but if a poor tee shot ends up in the heather, then rather than take the path to alongside where their ball is and walk into it, they walk directly towards it through the heather.

Now OK, I can see why I might want to walk straight to where I think my ball is, but my irritation is that the greens team have roped along the side of the path with the very clear wish that players do not walk through the heather at that point as you can see a worn path has been created but please use the path then walk in; with the walk in from the path almost always being much shorter and less damaging to the heather (that is relatively new and being cultivated). But some persist in walking into the heather immediately the roping ends, so clearly not getting the point that the visual clue the roping is giving us.

Anyway…it irritates me but only mildly…and the greens team will rope off more if things worsen…

Again not taking away from the irritation (but its kinda fun to try and figure out the 'why')
Does my bold bit from your post mean that players used to walk straight to their 'topped shot' through rough or grass and now because of new planting they're being asked to use another route instead?

Club must have good reason I suppose because its tough to expect cooperation from a player that's just lost distance from a poor tee shot but now faces losing the ball altogether if they don't have a good line/position to go to

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again not taking away from the irritation (but its kinda fun to try and figure out the 'why')
Does my bold bit from your post mean that players used to walk straight to their 'topped shot' through rough or grass and now because of new planting they're being asked to use another route instead?

Club must have good reason I suppose because its tough to expect cooperation from a player that's just lost distance from a poor tee shot but now faces losing the ball altogether if they don't have a good line/position to go to
I have to admit, if I'd topped a drive into the heather, I'd be quite likely to walk a direct route to it as you say - to give me the better chance of finding it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Not a comp but the only round of the week for 2 of us. He was one of the walkers though.

I dont wake up at 7am to play 9 holes :ROFLMAO:

I experienced similar today in the senior roll-up, but I'd have been delighted if we'd agreed to walk off after 6!
It was cold, wet and windy, I'm only now just starting to get sensation back into my toes.

D

Deleted member 3432

52 mph south easterly wind with heavy sleet showers forecast for tomorrow morning for my 10-20 tee time. Wind increasing into the early afternoon.

I suspect I will be in the gym instead.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Yes…

problem is that players - like sheep - tend to follow the straight line and existing footprints into the heather and so a track is formed quite quickly that we don’t want across the heather.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have to admit, if I'd topped a drive into the heather, I'd be quite likely to walk a direct route to it as you say - to give me the better chance of finding it.
Which is fine … but the greens team first built a small raised mound along the side of the path to stop trolleys…then when foot soldiers were tramping over the mound and through the heather they put a low roping along the top of it to rope it off. I think what’s required of us is then obvious…but some still choose to go round the end of the rope and through the heather.

NearHull

Visit site
Which is fine … but the greens team first built a small raised mound along the side of the path to stop trolleys…then when foot soldiers were tramping over the mound and through the heather they put a low roping along the top of it to rope it off. I think what’s required of us is then obvious…but some still choose to go round the end of the rope and through the heather.
Low ropes on our course are there to stop Trollies, it is normal, if not expected, for those carrying to step over them. The idea is to encourage carrying as it is less of a distance to walk.
(we do have one area roped off at waist height to stop all players going through that area.)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't use a buggy, but now nobody can.
All buggies out of commission due to criminal damage!
There really are some scumbags out there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Low ropes on our course are there to stop Trollies, it is normal, if not expected, for those carrying to step over them. The idea is to encourage carrying as it is less of a distance to walk.
(we do have one area roped off at waist height to stop all players going through that area.)

Agreed. We have a few problem areas where people walk in winter and it wears down. There is a patch between our 7th green to the right and the 8th tee as a case in point and if you went there it was a bare muddy lie. Come the summer it is then a dry bare patch. The rope has been successful in stopping the trolleys but people still walk back to the bags so it was a problem. The green staff now have waist high ropes, white arrows to show the exit point and white lines to mark it as GUR. It took a few weeks for the creatures of habit to take note but its working

HeftyHacker

Visit site
We've rerouted our course to avoid wear on the usual routes between tees and greens (not too many of them are surfaced), so you now play the holes in a very different order to usual. All pretty well signposted and the scorecard was even recreated to match the new order.

Caused pandemonium on the first weekend, people bumping into other groups on tees and arguments over who had gone wrong.

The club has now had to rope off all the old paths to avoid it happening again ?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Believeing the weather forecast, 90% chance of rain and 40mph wind this morning so didn't go to golf, cue, it being dry sunny and no wind?

Sitting in the clubhouse this morning with the usual suspects various weather apps and the local forecast discussed. Most went by the Apps and did not go out, 2 of us went by the local TV forecast and went out I forgot the local TV forecast was for a very heavy shower about 12.30 - they got it bang on. At least there were enough holes left for us to dry out.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Getting our scramble four to within 5 meters of the green on the 7th and watching all three not get on the green, and the 9th. Also getting us to within an under arm lob with the ball the par four 5th, off the tee and not getting on. Then, finishing 5th and missing out on fourth place, and dosh, on countback.

Still, Xmas dinner was nice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID ordered some Druids clothing during back Friday. Got large in a polo and it is massive on me. Now got to either try and sell it on at the club (easiest option) or go through the pain of changing it with Druids (not had good experience in the past). Shouldn't moan too much as it was a nice surprise. The trousers she got are 32 leg (they all were apparently) but there is a good little shop tucked away in Reading that do alterations so hoping they can take them up.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Over the summer worked hard on short game and got to a point where I was pretty decent around the greens.

The last six weeks or so I’ve been working on swing generally and ball striking specifically. Lots of time on the practice ground not much time on the course.

Today’s comp I was flushing it off the tee and fairway. Driver, hybrid, irons as good as I’ve ever hit them. Really really pleased with the improvement in strike, flight, distance, direction and all round control. My playing partner couldn't get over how good it was.

But short game gone to pieces. 28 points. ?

D

Deleted member 3432

What's the point of toptracer at a range if its not normalised?

HeftyHacker

Visit site
What's the point of toptracer at a range if its not normalised?

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the one I normally go to. It appears I can't hit a ball over 200 yards carry there despite me watching it clear the back fence some 220 yards away.

I went for a hybrid fitting the other day and my average carry was 210 with my current hybrid on a gc2, same club on the top tracer later that week - 180 if I'm lucky.

For reference I know its good for 200 yards on course as its what I hit into our 200yd par 3 2nd hole and even in the cold currently its generally landing on/next to the green.

I now only use the toptracer for the approach game which I find pretty useful and gets me hitting a variety of shots rather than repetitive.

Last edited: