Golf Random Irritations

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just the way some people behave on the course. As we walked off the 6th green towards the next tee a ball came flying over from the 4th, prob shermaned. Wasn't that close to us , but prob required a shout. The guy wanders up not a word even though he has to walk past us on the tee to get to his ball. Hits a massive fat taking a massive divot, made no effort to replace it , did the same with the next shot, which this time goes in the greenside bunker, again not replacing the divot, bearing in mind these are in front of the 6th green. Then had a couple of shots in the bunker without raking. The raking not the end if the world as its PL in bunkers, but to leave these two holes and not replace divots pretty inconsiderate, esp as they had a medal on Wednesdays, some poor bugger could end up in one of those through no fault of there own. Gordy had a word, but he was not the slightest bit interested and waddled off

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just the way some people behave on the course. As we walked off the 6th green towards the next tee a ball came flying over from the 4th, prob shermaned. Wasn't that close to us , but prob required a shout. The guy wanders up not a word even though he has to walk past us on the tee to get to his ball. Hits a massive fat taking a massive divot, made no effort to replace it , did the same with the next shot, which this time goes in the greenside bunker, again not replacing the divot, bearing in mind these are in front of the 6th green. Then had a couple of shots in the bunker without raking. The raking not the end if the world as its PL in bunkers, but to leave these two holes and not replace divots pretty inconsiderate, esp as they had a medal on Wednesdays, some poor bugger could end up in one of those through no fault of there own. Gordy had a word, but he was not the slightest bit interested and waddled off
The standard of etiquette is so variable..
Played our back 9 early, didn't intend to do 18 but the car park was quiet so I went over.
2 guys waiting on the 1st, 2 other guys halfway down
The guys on the tee insisted I play through and wouldn't take no for an answer
Followed the other 2 guys all the way round, neither, with their length should have been playing the Whites, neither hit the ball far enough to warrant having more than a driver, 7i, a couple of wedges and a putter and I waited on every shot.
I wasn't in a rush so it didn't matter but 2 opposing sides of the etiquette story.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The standard of etiquette is so variable..
Played our back 9 early, didn't intend to do 18 but the car park was quiet so I went over.
2 guys waiting on the 1st, 2 other guys halfway down
The guys on the tee insisted I play through and wouldn't take no for an answer
Followed the other 2 guys all the way round, neither, with their length should have been playing the Whites, neither hit the ball far enough to warrant having more than a driver, 7i, a couple of wedges and a putter and I waited on every shot.
I wasn't in a rush so it didn't matter but 2 opposing sides of the etiquette story.
Slow play is pretty annoying, but leave the course as you expect to find it is something some appear to be clueless about

D

Deleted member 3432

State of my 100 yards and in game today in the County Seniors Champs.

Lost count of the number of times I was taking 4 shots to get down when I should have been getting up and down. Highly embarrassing and topped off by missing the 18th green in the PM round from 66 yards aiming at a flag in the centre of the green :mad:(n)

I returned a score for both round but thats about it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
State of my 100 yards and in game today in the County Seniors Champs.

Lost count of the number of times I was taking 4 shots to get down when I should have been getting up and down. Highly embarrassing and topped off by missing the 18th green in the PM round from 66 yards aiming at a flag in the centre of the green :mad:(n)

I returned a score for both round but thats about it.
Sounds like a 3 handicap over compensating ?

D

Deleted member 3432

Sounds like a 3 handicap over compensating ?

Could be an ex 3 handicapper after today, one of by better scores in my 8 dropped off. Maybe PCC will go to 3 for the morning round and it will save me.

Classic example of why I'm not a 3 handicap, game imploded and couldn't even make pars when I had a wedge in my hand. Raining and a 4 club wind this afternoon but thats no excuse for how bad I was :mad:

Imurg

Visit site
Could be an ex 3 handicapper after today, one of by better scores in my 8 dropped off. Maybe PCC will go to 3 for the morning round and it will save me.

Classic example of why I'm not a 3 handicap, game imploded and couldn't even make pars when I had a wedge in my hand. Raining and a 4 club wind this afternoon but thats no excuse for how bad I was :mad:
Oh I dunno...I'd use it..(y):LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
Lovely warm sunny day today and I was standing on a dune surveying one of the best links courses in the world laid out before me. My irritation? I was standing on the beach side of the dune, bucket and spade in hand. I love my family dearly but the forbidden fruit of 18 holes on the other side of the dune looked very tempting.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lovely warm sunny day today and I was standing on a dune surveying one of the best links courses in the world laid out before me. My irritation? I was standing on the beach side of the dune, bucket and spade in hand. I love my family dearly but the forbidden fruit of 18 holes on the other side of the dune looked very tempting.
I feel your pain … I don’t need to be near a course to think my current occupation is a waste of time when the weather is good and there is daylight.. work is for night time as TV is poor entertainment

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"What differential did you achieve today?"

"14.7 what about you?"

"Thanks for asking, I got 6.4"

"Is that in your best 8?"

"Sure is. It replaces an 8.2 that was the highest of my best 8."

"How much of a cut..........." etc

How irritating are those conversations going to be? :(:(:(

I have tried to stop having conversations like that as I am the only one who understands what is being said now the only other person who knew has gone to another club. We are both very technically minded and had other conversations where we were the only ones that understood what we were talking about.

Imurg

Visit site
Taking almost an hour longer than we should have in the Medal this afternoon....
Just over 3 hours normally, just short of 4 today..
God it was slow....
Caused by the "rock up and play" system...

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I have tried to stop having conversations like that as I am the only one who understands what is being said now the only other person who knew has gone to another club. We are both very technically minded and had other conversations where we were the only ones that understood what we were talking about.
No one at my club understands any of it, so I have been completely free of those conversations so far.
Mostly, they are still stuck on wanting to score stableford points according to their course handicap - I have given up trying to explain that one. I just say, "You are wrong" and leave it at that.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Taking almost an hour longer than we should have in the Medal this afternoon....
God it was slow....
Similar at ours last night for the midweek 9 holes. We have a vote next week about bringing back bookings, seems most members want to go back to booking if the clubhouse talk is to be believed

D

Deleted member 23270

God it was slow....
How is the system to blame?

Imurg

Visit site
How is the system to blame?
With no booked times anyone can turn up and play at any time.
We got to the 1st at what is supposed to be a good time to start to find 3 groups in front of us, one in the fairway and one on the green.
Once we got going it flowed reasonably well until the 10th
Another 3 groups had arrived and were teeing off.
There were 6 groups waiting to tee off the 10th.
30 minutes of standing around and we restarted playing.
If we had a 1 tee start with booked times this simply wouldn't happen.

D

Deleted member 23270

With no booked times anyone can turn up and play at any time.
We got to the 1st at what is supposed to be a good time to start to find 3 groups in front of us, one in the fairway and one on the green.
Once we got going it flowed reasonably well until the 10th
Another 3 groups had arrived and were teeing off.
There were 6 groups waiting to tee off the 10th.
30 minutes of standing around and we restarted playing.
If we had a 1 tee start with booked times this simply wouldn't happen.
It's not the system that's at fault it's people teeing off as soon as the group in front is out of range. If they had the sense to wait a couple of minutes there wouldn't be a problem.

Imurg

Visit site
It's not the system that's at fault it's people teeing off as soon as the group in front is out of range. If they had the sense to wait a couple of minutes there wouldn't be a problem.
That wouldn't have changed the 6 group wait on the 10th.
We have a 2 tee start.