Golf Random Irritations

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Captain's Weekend - 4BBB played over both days....
Live leaderboard is running and shows that 47 points is leading with 22 teams to finish today..plus another 40 odd teams tomorrow
Oh well...Still got the NTP to play for:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
And thats off 85% handicap...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Played in a comp a few weeks ago, same format - team won with 50 points in round 2!!!

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Early this morning was putting the cleaned clubs back into the bag, and managed to drop the newest club, resulting in a chip on it. Should have taken it as a sign and gone back to bed. Absolute rubbish today, was looking forward to playing in sensible heat also, and the rain pretty much stayed away :(

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Its strange...we're not finding many of these huge scores (4bbb excepted).
Just looked back through the comps this year and many have been won with the equivalent of 38-40 points...Still a good knock but nowhere near the 45+ that some clubs are seeing.
Same here. Last Saturday stableford 1st and 2nd both had 40 points playing off of 2 & 1. In June we saw a comp won with 39 points by someone playing off of 3. Generally the winning scores have been sensible. For board comps a maximum 28 playing handicap is applied.

D

Deleted member 16999

Same here. Last Saturday stableford 1st and 2nd both had 40 points playing off of 2 & 1. In June we saw a comp won with 39 points by someone playing off of 3. Generally the winning scores have been sensible. For board comps a maximum 28 playing handicap is applied.
Similar to us, our board comps have a maximum 18 playing handicap and we run a Ind Stab alongside for those with higher handicaps.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having never before had a ‘process’ to practice down the practice ground, and never been one for doing much practice in any case, the complaint I have heard countless times over the years that ‘I can do it on the practice ground but see as soon as I get on the golf course…’ has never held much resonance for me. It does now. Jeez…golf can be so very irritatin….?

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Having never before had a ‘process’ to practice down the practice ground, and never been one for doing much practice in any case, the complaint I have heard countless times over the years that ‘I can do it on the practice ground but see as soon as I get on the golf course…’ has never held much resonance for me. It does now. Jeez…golf can be so very irritatin….?

It will only improve worse?. Anno Domini, I'm afraid.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit a perfect drive, leave sub 100 yards to pin….shank the easy wedge. My round felt like that today. I ended up taking a club to leave 130+ to the flag and was putting for birdie every time.

Oh, and 53 points won today, but it was a pairs better ball

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
everyone is well over the 20 cards in recent history, so very few, if any bonkers new handicaps!

I’ve not really given it much thought but is it possible to shoot over your handicap and still be cut? If the round you’ve just done is, say, 4 over but is better than a round that is, say, 10 over which is currently a counting round.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve not really given it much thought but is it possible to shoot over your handicap and still be cut? If the round you’ve just done is, say, 4 over but is better than a round that is, say, 10 over which is currently a counting round.
That happened to one of my regular pp yesterday. It feels strange but it is how the system works. You have to clear your mind of the old system as otherwise it doesn't make sense.

D

Deleted member 1147

Not finishing rounds off :(

Played twice this weekend and in both rounds I turned good positions into mediocrity!

I think it's lack of fitness and therefore lack of stamina, which is leading to silly mistakes (with a bit of bad luck thrown into the mix).
I was fine a couple of years ago, but then illness throughout 2019, and the resultant stopping of gym work, has led to my lack of fitness.

I finished bogey, lost ball, double on Saturday, and then bogey, 3 putt bogey, bogey yesterday - can't do that off 3, yet I still "buffered" both days.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not sure where to put this, could be a general irritation or could even deserve a thread of its own!!

Just seen that Royal Liverpool has had to close it's clubhouse and advise members to stay away as a load of 'travellers' have decided to take up residence in the car park. Police have been called but 'travellers' are refusing to move and have already caused some damage. As the club cannot guarantee the safety of members they have had to keep the staff away and recommend members do the same :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not finishing rounds off :(

Played twice this weekend and in both rounds I turned good positions into mediocrity!

I think it's lack of fitness and therefore lack of stamina, which is leading to silly mistakes (with a bit of bad luck thrown into the mix).
I was fine a couple of years ago, but then illness throughout 2019, and the resultant stopping of gym work, has led to my lack of fitness.

I finished bogey, lost ball, double on Saturday, and then bogey, 3 putt bogey, bogey yesterday - can't do that off 3, yet I still "buffered" both days.
Silly question but are you making sure that you are taking on enough fluid/fuel during the round - I found I was doing the same in that I often ran out of steam over the last few holes but this improved when I made sure I had enough water & another snack to munch?

D

Deleted member 1147

Silly question but are you making sure that you are taking on enough fluid/fuel during the round - I found I was doing the same in that I often ran out of steam over the last few holes but this improved when I made sure I had enough water & another snack to munch?
I drink plenty, but could probably do with more food during the round

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing away in a knock today and being shouted at bluntly from 40-50 yards away to tuck my shirt in by a very ‘welcoming’ member. The front of my shirt had apparently become partially untucked in the course of playing. I just smiled at him and tucked it back in. Saw him in the bar afterwards and he was much less aggressive without half a fairway between the two of us. He explained that “they’re trying to keep standards of dress up otherwise before long all sorts would be playing”, all whilst wearing long grey socks and Jesus sandals. The irony was palpable. Me and the barmaid shared a knowing silent glance, which was interrupted with expert comic timing by my mate joining and asking the member deadpan where he had got his sandals from.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing away in a knock today and being shouted at bluntly from 40-50 yards away to tuck my shirt in by a very ‘welcoming’ member. The front of my shirt had apparently become partially untucked in the course of playing. I just smiled at him and tucked it back in. Saw him in the bar afterwards and he was much less aggressive without half a fairway between the two of us. He explained that “they’re trying to keep standards of dress up otherwise before long all sorts would be playing”, all whilst wearing long grey socks and Jesus sandals. The irony was palpable. Me and the barmaid shared a knowing silent glance, which was interrupted with expert comic timing by my mate joining and asking the member deadpan where he had got his sandals from.
I think my club technically has a rule that shirts should be tucked in, but I don't recall being told off for it yet. In fairness a lot of my polos are not long enough to tuck in, they're designed to only sit an inch or two below your waistband, so they wouldn't stay in if you tried. The only time I do tuck it in is if I'm wearing a polo that's longer at the bottom. But generally in this warm weather you don't want it tucked in, having it untucked keeps you cooler with a bit more air movement.