Golf Random Irritations

Crumplezone

Visit site
Playing away in a knock today and being shouted at bluntly from 40-50 yards away to tuck my shirt in by a very ‘welcoming’ member. The front of my shirt had apparently become partially untucked in the course of playing. I just smiled at him and tucked it back in. Saw him in the bar afterwards and he was much less aggressive without half a fairway between the two of us. He explained that “they’re trying to keep standards of dress up otherwise before long all sorts would be playing”, all whilst wearing long grey socks and Jesus sandals. The irony was palpable. Me and the barmaid shared a knowing silent glance, which was interrupted with expert comic timing by my mate joining and asking the member deadpan where he had got his sandals from.

At least you were actually on the course. It happened to me twice at different courses. Once in the car park and once when I was waiting to step onto the first tee (by two different people including the lady captain).

NearHull

Visit site
At least you were actually on the course. It happened to me twice at different courses. Once in the car park and once when I was waiting to step onto the first tee (by two different people including the lady captain).
If the club rules require you to tuck your shirt in, why did you have to be asked twice?

Crumplezone

Visit site
If the club rules require you to tuck your shirt in, why did you have to be asked twice?

Any on course dress code only applies when actually on the course. Not in the car park nor on the path leading to the first tee. Just on the course. Which I was explaining to the first very rude member when the lady captain rudely shouted at me from 20 yards away. The first guy also asked if my PPs shoes were 'proper golf shoes' and demanded to inspect them. I wouldn't have cared if they'd been polite. They just said 'tuck yer shirt in!'

NearHull

Visit site
I obviously do not condone rudeness, there are ways and there are ways. However the intent/spirit of our club dress rules is that the dress code is maintained around the club. I would think that’s the view of many other clubs.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Any on course dress code only applies when actually on the course.

I've never thought that...maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I always assumed it means while on the premises.

Some folk/shirts look tidier untucked, but wonder why it is one of the things that folk think is worth shouting across a couple of fairways?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I obviously do not condone rudeness, there are ways and there are ways. However the intent/spirit of our club dress rules is that the dress code is maintained around the club. I would think that’s the view of many other clubs.

so if you have a tradesman who has come from work, who takes his clubs and change of clothes to the locker room from his car before changing to play hes fair game to be challenged on his attire?

NearHull

Visit site
so if you have a tradesman who has come from work, who takes his clubs and change of clothes to the locker room from his car before changing to play hes fair game to be challenged on his attire?
Of course not. If you are dressed for golf, then dress correctly in accordance with the club rules, it’s very simple to understand and simple to comply.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think my club technically has a rule that shirts should be tucked in, but I don't recall being told off for it yet. In fairness a lot of my polos are not long enough to tuck in, they're designed to only sit an inch or two below your waistband, so they wouldn't stay in if you tried. The only time I do tuck it in is if I'm wearing a polo that's longer at the bottom. But generally in this warm weather you don't want it tucked in, having it untucked keeps you cooler with a bit more air movement.
Exactly. The design of them are not great and they become untucked easily. How anyone can take enough offence from a fairway over is beyond me.

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Agree there are correct ways to address. The way this guy chose to handle it was clearly wrong. Luckily, I’m a placid guy who chose to laugh it off. You mention spirit/intent. I’ll always observe dress codes etc - whether they are archaic/ridiculous or not as I want to play the course and so follow their rules. On this occasion I’d clearly had my shirt tucked in. However, in the process of playing golf around 1/4 of it became untucked. 3/4 of it was still tucked in. I just find it mental that someone would be bothered/offended enough by my apparent state of undress enough to shout over from another fairway.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've never thought that...maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I always assumed it means while on the premises.

Some folk/shirts look tidier untucked, but wonder why it is one of the things that folk think is worth shouting across a couple of fairways?

Some of them actually look for it, must really get them out of bed in the morning. If I saw it, I'd just carry on about my business and it wouldn't effect my day one little bit.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Some people just like the power trip. The sort of people who used to rule the roost at home until the kids left home, or were middle management but with no real authority.

Now they get their kicks by letting everyone know how important they are by pulling people up on minor indiscretions of pathetic rules.

sunshine

Visit site

Tradesmen should use the tradesmen’s entrance not the front door. And heaven forbid should they ever think about parking their van in the members’ car park. The club has standards to maintain don’t you know.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Agree there are correct ways to address. The way this guy chose to handle it was clearly wrong. Luckily, I’m a placid guy who chose to laugh it off. You mention spirit/intent. I’ll always observe dress codes etc - whether they are archaic/ridiculous or not as I want to play the course and so follow their rules. On this occasion I’d clearly had my shirt tucked in. However, in the process of playing golf around 1/4 of it became untucked. 3/4 of it was still tucked in. I just find it mental that someone would be bothered/offended enough by my apparent state of undress enough to shout over from another fairway.
Which club was it?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played a 4BBB Open last weekend and the max playing h/c allowed was 24. We had 1 guy who should get 26 but he is ashamed of that so he didn't pull a face :D. I don't blame any club for having some limits.

We've got a Seniors Open next week, also 4BBB. Max handicap is 18.

Can't follow the logic for that, surely it is going to put a lot people off entering?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Can't follow the logic for that, surely it is going to put a lot people off entering?
I find that especially strange for a seniors comp. A lot of seniors who are higher than 18 will be players who used to be lower but have gone up with age I'd have thought? Rather than being the rapidly improving high handicappers that people worry about.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I would agree with you. In particular it makes less sense for senior comps. Handicaps are inevitably going north for some of the people entering and a cut off at 18 seems very harsh.

We play opens for fun, for a chance to play a different course at a reduced fee, but if you are going to have a competitive element then at least make it fair for all.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Going back to shirts untucked, I struggle with this being broad in the shoulders and some accountant suggesting a cost save by reducing a shirts length. I spent my work life having my shirt pulled out and it being untucked.. do I care on the golf course .. no I don’t, I will tuck it in but only if it is bothering me.
What bothers me is the lack of dress code for women .. but that’s not a discussion a man is allowed to have, without it being deemed sexist etc…