Golf Random Irritations

D-S

Visit site
Watching a re run of the Solheim Cup and I’d forgotten how bad the coverage was as the fact that McGinley was on commentar.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booked an indoor sim today with a mate since the weather is horrendous. We get there and find out they've just had a bloody power cut! Full refund and off to the local Trackman driving range instead. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Taken the dog out for a walk and realised just how strong the wind is.
Came home to find my neighbour's wall all across the pavement.
Man, I'd have loved to have played golf this afternoon, it'd have been hilarious.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Taken the dog out for a walk and realised just how strong the wind is.
Came home to find my neighbour's wall all across the pavement.
Man, I'd have loved to have played golf this afternoon, it'd have been hilarious.
Played down in S. Wales during storm Agnes a couple of months back...40 odd mph winds..
Best fun I've had on a course in years and didn't score too badly either....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The numpties two holes in front of us today in a shot gun start. Lost 3 holes within 4 holes of their start. Two of them had pre shot routines that would make even Kegan Bradley or Patrick Cantley blush.. theymudt have taken well over 5 hours on a short course with no rough

D

Deleted member 23344

The numpties two holes in front of us today in a shot gun start. Lost 3 holes within 4 holes of their start. Two of them had pre shot routines that would make even Kegan Bradley or Patrick Cantley blush.. theymudt have taken well over 5 hours on a short course with no rough
Hanging is too good for them 😡

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We never have temporary greens....we may have "extreme weather" greens where the hole is cut on the very edge or on the fringe....but never temps
We had a temporary green today..on the 18th...the highest point on the course..
The uproar from members was quite funny...." been a member 30 years etc etc etc"..
The reason we had a temporary green is because Henk blew the roof off the trolley/buggy store, it took a couple of trees with it and landed on the 18th
In addition, the course status update stated, quite clearly ONE temporary green.
The 11 o'clock roll up seemed convinced that there were many temps.....
It also stated that ALL practice facilities were closed....the practice nets were full and there were 3 people on the practice ground.
It seems that if you want to keep something a secret in a golf club the answer is to communicate it to all and sundry.....
I despair.....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Booked an indoor sim today with a mate since the weather is horrendous. We get there and find out they've just had a bloody power cut! Full refund and off to the local Trackman driving range instead. 🤦🏻‍♂️
So we went to BigShots after this, it's a Trackman driving range as mentioned, so you can play an 18 hole course on the screen. We only booked one hour taking it in turns so only completed about 13 holes of it - but I lost by 1 shot in very controversial circumstances. It's one of those that when you get near the green it'll say "1 chip and 1 putt" and give you whatever score that results in. Sometimes it was giving us up and downs out of the bunker, even. If you're unlucky you get a chip and 2 putts - how it decides, I don't know. But on one occasion I hit the green, looked about 15 feet from the pin and it randomly gave me a bloody three-putt! I dunno what I did to deserve that, there's no way that machine could have seen my putting!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
But on one occasion I hit the green, looked about 15 feet from the pin and it randomly gave me a bloody three-putt! I dunno what I did to deserve that, there's no way that machine could have seen my putting!
It knows you play at Grims Dyke and decided there's no way you can go a whole round without at least one 3 putt.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
people using trollies despite a trolley ban in place on my course
We are fortunate in that a trolley ban is a very rare thing - not had one (yet) this year. Even so some weeks ago I changed from my powered trolley to my old push trolley as I didn’t have a bag I could carry. But I got a lightweight carry bag from Santa and as club is very strongly encouraging us to carry that is what I’ll be doing until things improve. My observation is that most members seem to be carrying despite no ban on trolleys.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This for me is a perfect definition slow play. Playing on a long course that takes everyone over 4hrs to play as a 4 ball isn’t. I’d have been annoyed

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This for me is a perfect definition slow play. Playing on a long course that takes everyone over 4hrs to play as a 4 ball isn’t. I’d have been annoyed

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
We are fortunate in that a trolley ban is a very rare thing - not had one (yet) this year. Even so some weeks ago I changed from my powered trolley to my old push trolley as I didn’t have a bag I could carry. But I got a lightweight carry bag from Santa and as club is very strongly encouraging us to carry that is what I’ll be doing until things improve. My observation is that most members seem to be carrying despite no ban on trolleys.
I’m starting to wish our club would have a trolley ban with exemptions for People who can’t carry.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’m starting to wish our club would have a trolley ban with exemptions for People who can’t carry.
Is this not a common thing? Our biggest issue comes when the club decides to put out a communication "trolleys allowed but carry preferred". Most simply use their trolley. If carry only is preferred then say it is carry only and be done with it. Those with medical exemptions (and we don't have that many) would still be able to use theirs but everyone else carries. It has to be in the best interest of the long term condition of the course even if that means a few can't play as they are unable (or unwilling) to carry and have yet to get a medical exemption

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this not a common thing? Our biggest issue comes when the club decides to put out a communication "trolleys allowed but carry preferred". Most simply use their trolley. If carry only is preferred then say it is carry only and be done with it. Those with medical exemptions (and we don't have that many) would still be able to use theirs but everyone else carries. It has to be in the best interest of the long term condition of the course even if that means a few can't play as they are unable (or unwilling) to carry and have yet to get a medical exemption
Our club often puts 'carry if you can' - so much grey area there that it's almost pointless saying anything.

D

Deleted member 15344

Our club often puts 'carry if you can' - so much grey area there that it's almost pointless saying anything.

Surely that down to the mentality of the members and their thought process in regards helping protect the course

We also put carry if you can in the daily update and it resulted in a significant amount of people carrying their clubs instead , even if it was for half the round and that ended up helping the course significantly- the members can see the help it does and it’s the same again this year with many carrying instead

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely that down to the mentality of the members and their thought process in regards helping protect the course

We also put carry if you can in the daily update and it resulted in a significant amount of people carrying their clubs instead , even if it was for half the round and that ended up helping the course significantly- the members can see the help it does and it’s the same again this year with many carrying instead
I don't really think it makes much difference at ours. I carry when it says that of course, but for the older contingent it's not difficult for them to think of a reason why they can't, I'm sure.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If carry is optional then it is exactly that. If people want to feel superior about carrying then crack on but if the club allows trolleys then people can use them. Grass recovers, every year. I've yet to see it not do in the many years I've been playing, and people have used trolleys throughout where I've played.