Golf Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 25172

The Grove want £250 in the summer
And I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to stump it up to play it! I don't have pockets deep enough to warrant it though unfortunately.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
And I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to stump it up to play it! I don't have pockets deep enough to warrant it though unfortunately.
i am sure the tee sheet will be full everyday but in my opinion it's massively overpriced.

their winter warmer deal isnt too bad - tee/coffee, 18 holes and a lunch for 139

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Medium term is worry a bit for things like our H4H day.
West Hill, for example, is now 150 quid a round..
I know we would get a good price for the numbers but in 3 or 4 years time that 150 could be over 200 or more..
Costs for clubs are high and they need to claw it back but if they go too far they may struggle to get the numbers they need.
Tricky balance, but as said, some of these clubs are already beyond my pocket.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Medium term is worry a bit for things like our H4H day.
West Hill, for example, is now 150 quid a round..
I know we would get a good price for the numbers but in 3 or 4 years time that 150 could be over 200 or more..
Costs for clubs are high and they need to claw it back but if they go too far they may struggle to get the numbers they need.
Tricky balance, but as said, some of these clubs are already beyond my pocket.

I ducked out of the last couple of H4H events partly due to cost, even though the team negotiate a great deal, so it's already impacting.
My own thoughts are that I can play one, maybe two, top courses a year so for H4H I'd be more than happy to play a lower ranking course than the usual.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I ducked out of the last couple of H4H events partly due to cost, even though the team negotiate a great deal, so it's already impacting.
My own thoughts are that I can play one, maybe two, top courses a year so for H4H I'd be more than happy to play a lower ranking course than the usual.
Tougher for you and others from further up country as it necessitates an overnighter which adds to the cost..

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not particularly random really, but the topic of prices at top courses bubbled up in one of the chats yesterday (as it usually does a few times a year). The prices at some courses are absolutely mental. Checked a few ones for next year just for fun:

Sunningdale - £350 (or the option of a real bargain to pay £600 to play 36 holes in one day)
Royal St George's - £330
Turnberry - £495

World has gone mad. Yes, yes - I know that there are deals to be had playing in the off-season etc, that it's not a god given right to be able to play all the courses you want and all that. Just find it a bit sad on a personal level to know I'll most likely never going to play a lot of the courses that I've read and seen so much about. And I very much doubt that it will go in any other direction than becoming even more expensive than that.
I don’t care how good a course is supposed to be but that Sunningdale price is just ridiculous. They obviously don’t want riff raff digging up their courses.

D

Deleted member 25172

I don’t care how good a course is supposed to be but that Sunningdale price is just ridiculous. They obviously don’t want riff raff digging up their courses.
Without having any inside info what-so-ever, but I think the likes of Sunningdale are financially safe and that they simply see greenfees as a nice little extra on top. They don't need the money and therefore they put the price in this range to keep the worst riff-raff out. And, if anyone still wants to pay this kind of cash for a round of golf (and plenty still do), then more than welcome for the day. But again, that's just me with my tinfoil hat on.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is simple economics and controlling customer levels by price. You keep upping the price until you are only attracting the number of type of customer you want. I suspect to many that play the highest price courses, a few hundred quid is the change they find down the back of the sofa.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even if I won the lottery I'm not sure I'd ever spend 300 quid on a round of golf. It's just hard to justify. A lot of my enjoyment of a course hinges on whether I play well there, and if I spent £300 and played cack or found it too difficult, that would be a real kick in the teeth.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Even if I won the lottery I'm not sure I'd ever spend 300 quid on a round of golf. It's just hard to justify. A lot of my enjoyment of a course hinges on whether I play well there, and if I spent £300 and played cack or found it too difficult, that would be a real kick in the teeth.

its all scales though isnt it. If you'd won £50 million on the lottery, a few hundred quid is nothing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
its all scales though isnt it. If you'd won £50 million on the lottery, a few hundred quid is nothing.
Well no, I'm saying the opposite. Maybe everyone thinks this, but I don't believe I would lose my concept of the value of money that easily after winning the lottery. I think it would take time to grow out of that mentality.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Well no, I'm saying the opposite. Maybe everyone thinks this, but I don't believe I would lose my concept of the value of money that easily after winning the lottery. I think it would take time to grow out of that mentality.
I guess it depends how you view the value of money. One view would be to say "I'm not spending more than £100 on that" or you could look at it as a % of your wealth or pay.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Lots of us prob do and its a noble thought but... nah. I reckon something silly would have me reaching for my cheque book in pretty short order

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Works out about £ 3 a shot lol

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If I won the lottery I would gladly treat my golfing mates to a few all inclusive days in Scotland playing the best courses that we could get tee times for.