Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I disagree. If I am chipping and the putting green becomes busy, I'll usually stop any high chips and focus on low chip and runs to one particular hole to give everyone else full run of the green. The short distance to the nearest hole means there is less chance of a real ankle bruiser anyway. Once it clears a little I'll go back to different trajectories. To be honest, my clubs green has been very firm this year again, so aside from the recent rain this week, I have been able to hit 20-25 yard pitches without any significant damage and the one or two minor pitch marks are easily fixed

What do you disagree with? Your club doesn't have a chipping green. Are you saying if you had such a facility you'd still disagree that chipping should be practiced on the practice chipping green with putting on the putting green :unsure:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
For a righthander it’s be; right lip miss 90, straight ahead 180, left edge 270 and back at him 360.
So correct 👍

If you're driving due north and take 4th exit at a standard roundabout, you're now heading due south, surely that's 180º.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a lovely big chipping/pitching green - it is often obvious when someone has been pitching to a specific few flags as the green is pitted with scores of pitch marks. That rather bugs me as our greens staff have better things to do with their time that fixing others practice pitch marks. And so I often end up spending time doing that and have once repaired over 60 big pitch marks. Just because it's a chipping/pitching green - fix your own!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
people who don't have a pitch mark repairer with them when playing, played two guys last night both on committee one current M&H the other former, both complained about PM... :unsure:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
people who don't have a pitch mark repairer with them when playing, played two guys last night both on committee one current M&H the other former, both complained about PM... :unsure:
A (long) tee works just as well.

It's those of us, and I admit occasional guilt myself, whose priority is to mark their ball (why? it's unlikely to move!) then forget about the (perhaps distant) pitch mark.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
But the ball travels 360 degrees ( we’ll prob closer 300 at a guess )around the hole ? The direction of travel changes by 180 degrees.

No, I think you're wrong.
If you look at the hole as a clockface, the ball hits the lip at 9, (or 3), works it's way around the back of the hole and leaves at 3, (or 9), and has therefore been in contact with 50% of the hole .................................... 180º.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Your direction of travel has gone 180 degree but to achieve that you went around the roundabout 360 degrees
As per your earlier 'not quite' disclaimer above....if you really did go 360 degrees around the roundabout and take that exit, you'd be heading South, but in a Northbound lane! Your 300 degrees (maybe a little more for golf but more like 270 degrees for the motorway roundabout) is liable to be pretty close.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
As per your earlier 'not quite' disclaimer above....if you really did go 360 degrees around the roundabout and take that exit, you'd be heading South, but in a Northbound lane! Your 300 degrees (maybe a little more for golf but more like 270 degrees for the motorway roundabout) is liable to be pretty close.
What if its a single track road?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the pitch mark aspect. Walking onto a green and seeing very obvious pitch marks fairly close to the hole. I thought all players had a quick look for pitch marks when they walked onto a green and repaired what they found.

Same for bunkers left untidy. I thought players might tidy a bunker if they spot it a bit of mess - it's not going to add anything to the length of their round - and with ready golf isn't going to hold up the play of their playing companions.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No, I think you're wrong.
If you look at the hole as a clockface, the ball hits the lip at 9, (or 3), works it's way around the back of the hole and leaves at 3, (or 9), and has therefore been in contact with 50% of the hole .................................... 180º.

very occasionally I'll have a putt almost start come back to me - but that's still only going to be about 270*

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
People often say 360º because it looks like it goes all the way around the hole, but in reality it catches one side and comes back on the other.
A true 360º would have the ball hit the left/right edge, circle the hole, exit on the left/right edge and continue on past in the same direction you putted it and I've NEVER seen that.
That's how I see it.
Any mathematicians on here? :geek:

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Can you show any that have 4-exit roundabouts?

FWIW. It's highly likely that, in that near zero likelihood case, there'd be an off and an on ramp, so still not 360 degrees, but more than the 270 I mentioned above.
What relevance is the number of exits? Surely point is that you are reversing the direction of journey at a roundabout.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What relevance is the number of exits? Surely point is that you are reversing the direction of journey at a roundabout.
Read the thread, become informed at what is ACTUALLY being said, then please feel free to post relevant questions! Until then, kindly desist from WUM/Trolling!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Read the thread, become informed at what is ACTUALLY being said, then please feel free to post relevant questions! Until then, kindly desist from WUM/Trolling!
Oof
Not sure what in my reply ground your gears,
But like so many on here, when found out you resort to petty name calling.
Truly pathetic .