Golf Random Irritations

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Another one about pitch marks - people who repair them incorrectly.

And when you try to explain it to them all you get in response is "I was playing this game before you were born"

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site

And when you try to explain it to them all you get in response is "I was playing this game before you were born"
I had to stop some one once as he was doing more damage during the repair, fair enough he said thanks and took on board when I showed him how to do it properly

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Those guys are never going to accept your advice! I used to carry half a few copies of a compact 'how not to/how to and why' guide that I'd give to those who I'd see do it wrongly.

I've actually been paid to go round a course prior to a big tournament and repair pitchmarks. There were normally 1 to 2 dozen on each green that hadn't been repaired. That's not incredibly bad considering throughput of players, but still too many - half a dozen would be more 'acceptable'!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

People often say 360º because it looks like it goes all the way around the hole, but in reality it catches one side and comes back on the other.
A true 360º would have the ball hit the left/right edge, circle the hole, exit on the left/right edge and continue on past in the same direction you putted it and I've NEVER seen that.
That's how I see it.
Any mathematicians on here? :geek:

Go back to your roundabout analogy- how far does the car travel in degrees ?

And the same with a ball going around a hole - it prob goes in around 7/8 and comes out around 4/5 - so whilst it’s not a true 360 it’s certainly more than 180 👍

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Go back to your roundabout analogy- how far does the car travel in degrees ?

And the same with a ball going around a hole - it prob goes in around 7/8 and comes out around 4/5 - so whilst it’s not a true 360 it’s certainly more than 180 👍

It starts off heading North and ends up heading South, ergo 180º.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lost my putting over the last few weeks and really struggled in the comp on sat and a tie yesterday..... only to go out today in something that has no meaning other than winning a few quid and putt like a dream 5 birdies all from outside 10 feet i could hole one yesterday from 10 inches:mad::sick:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing against the club sec and his son in betterball today, he actually called a penalty on us (me, technically as it was my putt) because my partner was standing behind me in line with the putt while I went and addressed the ball. He was so far back that I didn't even know he was there, he was not in my eyeline at all. And he didn't even know the rule. I was vaguely aware of it, but not enough to consciously double check where he was standing. That's such a stupid rule. I'm out of the hole now with a two shot penalty just because of where my partner decided to stand and watch my putt from.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Playing against the club sec and his son in betterball today, he actually called a penalty on us (me, technically as it was my putt) because my partner was standing behind me in line with the putt while I went and addressed the ball. He was so far back that I didn't even know he was there, he was not in my eyeline at all. And he didn't even know the rule. I was vaguely aware of it, but not enough to consciously double check where he was standing. That's such a stupid rule. I'm out of the hole now with a two shot penalty just because of where my partner decided to stand and watch my putt from.
What's worse is he must have seen what was going to happen and waited for it. Id have pointed it out before you fell foul of it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing golf in the sun. I'm not great in such conditions and by 15 had wilted despite over 2 litres of water, several grain bars, bananas and an energy drink. Was going along reasonably well for a change. Had suncream on as well! Wasn't feeling great when I got back in so soft drink, home and been lying on the bed

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

To add to the list of other stupid rules 👍

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Must have been a cracking laugh in the bar after the game 🙄. What a door handle.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Was it a proper match or just a friendly. If its the latter the guy is a grade A knob and should have made you aware of the issue before you played the shot. Stupid rule or not you do have an inherent responsibility to know the majority and sadly in my opinion it's one of the more known ones

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rather that just be repetitive and call it a stupid rule, why not accept it, thank your opponent for showing your team the error of your ways and learn from it., thus preventing either of you from repeating this mistake and now you are in a better and more knowledgeable position to assist others who may not be aware of some rules, win win.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Countback. I know it has to be worked out somehow but to have a great score but finish 5th as 4 other pairs finished on the same score but got most of their points on the back 9 still frustrates.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Countback. I know it has to be worked out somehow but to have a great score but finish 5th as 4 other pairs finished on the same score but got most of their points on the back 9 still frustrates.
Shoot one less. Seriously I hate losing this way (did I mention the GM Centenary Forum final). Has to be a way to sort the winner out and clearly for most of us play-offs aren't an option. Just annoying that one mediocre hole can scupper your chances