Golf Random Irritations

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thinking about it, you are doing it all wrong.
Don't play unless there's a 40 mph wind then get out there and play 36 holes submitting general play cards.

Few rounds in those conditions aided by pcc of 0 and you will be up to 28 in no time ?
I think you could be right.

Playing with my mate dave yesterday who's in the same boat, he was off 3 under the old system but now finds himself off scratch, by his own admission he isn't a scratch golfer, same as I'm not a 3 capper..we both are coming to the conclusion of why are we bothering to play in any of the comps. We have no chance of the gross prizes with the amount of plus figure players at the club and not a chance of any of the handicap prizes, yesterday's was won by a 18 handicap who was off 15 before with an 80 gross for 62 net, gross was won by plus 1 with a 68.
Forcaste was for wind, but not a breath, well until I was heading home, quite a strong westerly by lunchtime

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I think you could be right.

Playing with my mate dave yesterday who's in the same boat, he was off 3 under the old system but now finds himself off scratch, by his own admission he isn't a scratch golfer, same as I'm not a 3 capper..we both are coming to the conclusion of why are we bothering to play in any of the comps. We have no chance of the gross prizes with the amount of plus figure players at the club and not a chance of any of the handicap prizes, yesterday's was won by a 18 handicap who was off 15 before with an 80 gross for 62 net, gross was won by plus 1 with a 68.
Forcaste was for wind, but not a breath, well until I was heading home, quite a strong westerly by lunchtime

Just noticed one of our comps last week was won by a guy playing off 32, who had 47 points. Net 59.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I forgot my putter head had come loose last week, can't get it repaired in time for tomorrow, putting with my 2i I would think...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My local driving ranges have all dropped like flies. Wouldn't normally affect me much as I don't generally go anyway, but now my wife is getting into it and asked if we could maybe go practise after work. There used to be one 5 minutes down the road that was closed years ago. Stanmore & Edgeware one closed down two years ago. Ruislip was killed off by HS2. There's the Nine of Herts but I don't know how late it opens since it's not floodlit, my dad reckons they tend to have run out of balls by 5 ish! Northwick Park one is closed for refurbishments, it seems like they're upgrading it to a Top Golf style target-based thing, so no doubt it will double in price anyway. The next nearest ones are either A1 in Borehamwood or the West London Golf Centre in Northolt, both are about half hour drives. :confused: An hour round trip just to smack 50 range balls around isn't very appealing.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
The next nearest ones are either A1 in Borehamwood or the West London Golf Centre in Northolt, both are about half hour drives. :confused: An hour round trip just to smack 50 range balls around isn't very appealing.

Not sure where you live, but is Radlett a bit nearer?

My sister lives in Radlett... bro in law took me to Top Golf in Watford a while back. I thought it was just a very expensive driving range.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure where you live, but is Radlett a bit nearer?

My sister lives in Radlett... bro in law took me to Top Golf in Watford a while back. I thought it was just a very expensive driving range.
Similar distance I think but might be worth a go, thanks.

Yeah, I like Top Golf for a laugh with friends but not for a proper practise. It works out about 7 quid for 20 balls now I think, on that basis. It's more akin to going ten pin bowling or some other group activity I would think. [Edit: Christ, it's actually 8 quid a game now. It wasn't that long ago it was 6.50.]

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I could easily be wrong, but was under the impression that the driving range at Bushey Golf and Country Club was back in operation.
Really?? I thought they opened a restaurant there or something. ? We managed to get on Nine of Herts in the end, it was still open, although we had to wait 5 minutes for bays as there are only 11 there.

Sproughton

Visit site
Really?? I thought they opened a restaurant there or something. ? We managed to get on Nine of Herts in the end, it was still open, although we had to wait 5 minutes for bays as there are only 11 there.

It definitely is open, but it's now only one floor with the restaurant taking up the old shop and top floor.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Watching the Curtis cup and on the 2nd tee the American hit her drive left and not a peep from her!
Luckily the others in her group shouted fore!

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Ended up watching a TXG video last night where Matt was hitting 95 mph swing speed drivers to simulate "men's average". Those slow motion half swings were pretty depressing in an odd way ??

Last edited:

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A 4ball who wouldn’t let me through as a single, plenty of opportunity but made sure they didn’t let me get close enough to ask, one of the group was practically sprinting off each tee to avoid me - I can assume that was why he was wearing pulled up white socks, it’s the only reason I can think of, that a man in his mid 40’s should be wearing them.