Golf Psychology

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Done. Really interesting survey. Especially as I have prepared a plan for this year and had a chat to the pro I go to about many of the subjects withing the questions. Would be interesting to see my answers in a years time !

gusfordham

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks! interesting stuff. Hope it all works for you this coming season, be sure to look out for my findings, hopefully it will be of use to golfers in general.
Done. Really interesting survey. Especially as I have prepared a plan for this year and had a chat to the pro I go to about many of the subjects withing the questions. Would be interesting to see my answers in a years time !

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is important to ask the same question in different ways to gauge how the user is responding. Sometimes once isn’t enough.

The better surverys hide the fact it’s the same question so well you barely notice.

I thought it was one of the best I’ve seen in a while and look forward to seeing what it throws up.

I have some hypotheses to explore that this data might bed some light on.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Done, and I actually enjoyed doing that as it brought to light some of my issues.

One the better ones I’ve seen.

This to a letter, however how do you put right some of your self confessed wrongs.

good luck with it me man.

gusfordham

Hacker
Visit site
Depending on what issues you may have, things that can aid those can range from the use of imagery to learning of relaxation techniques, at the end of the day it'a what may work best for you as an individual.
This to a letter, however how do you put right some of your self confessed wrongs.

good luck with it me man.

gusfordham

Hacker
Visit site
To provide you all with an update I've had over 200 responses since the survey went live on Thursday and have already yielded a fantastic and diverse sample size ranging from the recreational hacker to international players. I can only thank you all and please keep up the good work.

gusfordham

Hacker
Visit site
The survey goes offline at the end of the week, please complete it if you haven't done so already, currently at 332 participants, would love to take this up to 350. Cheers.

gusfordham

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all, I completed my dissertation and achieved a very good mark for my work. For those interested I've attached my abstract of my work. I cannot attach the whole document as it's too big being 35 pages in total. If you want me to send the whole document just drop me your email.

Abstract

Background and purpose: Previous literature investigating the use of psychological skills within golf is over twenty years old. Since their publication, the sport has been revolutionised by the likes of Tiger Woods. The aims were to discover if the use of a psychological skills inventory could be used to predict anxiety and self confidence within golfers of a range of abilities. Additionally, to discover if an individual’s competition level suggests if they use more or less of the skills measured.

Method and Results: Through the use of a questionnaire psychological skills and anxiety were measured using the TOPS and CSAI-2 inventories and the GPS. The data set analysed consisted of 339 golfers (mean age 43.3 ±14.9 years and mean handicap 12.0 ±7.6) from 21 countries. Three stepwise multiple linear regressions and a MANOVA were conducted for statistical analysis. It was found that the use of TOPS subscales could be used to significantly predict anxiety and self-confidence in golfers (p≤0.05). Emotional control is the skill in which is most responsible for predicting levels of somatic anxiety and self-confidence and was second in predicting levels of cognitive anxiety. A tukey’s post hoc test on the MANOVA revealed that there were no significant differences between international and national golfers compared to recreational and club golfers.

Conclusions: It was concluded that the use of a psychological inventory such as the TOPS can be used to predict anxiety in golfers. This suggests the idea that PGA teaching professionals should introduce psychological skills training in teaching.