Golf on TV - What info/graphics would you like to see?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
To keep this away from BBC v Sky coverage etc I'd like to ask what info you'd want to see on the screen for televised golf that we don't already get

I think the current on screen info/graphics are pretty basic

I'd like to see the tee shot flight-line thing used a lot more (I'm sure it has a proper name)
I'd also like to see basic swing speed & ball speed info (if they can do it for tennis...)
Also the achieved shot distances and putt distances (rather than the "its about 12-14 ft" or "that's got to be 290 yards")

Not sure if I want that graphic that shows the putt-line before its taken though, I kinda like the mystery of not knowing before a putt is hit

You?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I like the Aimpoint line (yes it was them that designed that graphic!). I would like to see some more stats and it can't be hard to stick a launch monitor on a tee box. However I wouldn't want this to be a regular thing as I like the events to just unfold on screen

D

Deleted member 15344

Only thing that I find of any interest is the shot tracer from the odd tee shot

Other than that the only star that matters and i would have any interest in is the score which they show.

Don't think they need to cover the screen in an overkill of stats.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The PGA tour coverage used to do swing speed, ball speed, carry on tee shots for some holes. Seems to have disappeared of late though.

Love the Protracer, also enjoyed the BBC's graphic of tee shots showing which ones went on to birdie / par / bogey etc.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pro tracer on tee shots is great. Love seeing the ball flight.
I agree on the graphic of what tee-shots ended up birdies/pares etc as gives indication of where course management and position on the fairway impacts scoring. Not too fussed on swing speeds etc as I think it would be overkill.
Possibly referencing a players previous shots on the same hole in earlier rounds maybe interesting but aware that these will be influenced by changing conditions/pins etc.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
One thing which irked me about The Open was they didn't always show the players score straight away. Sometimes they didn't show it at all, other times it was well after they'd taken their shot. A better live scoreboard of the movers and shakers as well.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Club speed and ball speed, but only on the 2 tee shots they use for average driving distance.
More pro-tracer, but include the little box they sometimes put on screen showing the best line to take with carry/run out distance.
An accurate distance to go on the putting green.

I wasn't really keen on the aimpoint line on the greens, but at least it would show up the on-course guys for the rubbish green readers they are. It seems like every putt they under read. "This one is inside left, definitely don't want to give the hole away." Then the player gives it 6" of break and misses on the low side.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Red button brings up Trackman mode with all the club speed data etc etc.. I would like optional shot tracer on every shot also. Aimpoint on putts as well.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
To be honest you can only polish a turd for so long. And to make the game more exciting for viewers and draw more in, instead of worrying that much about introducing ever more fancy technical initiatives, the R&A and PGA should introduce a bit of variety now and then. Not every week by any means, but occasionally something instead of week after week after week of 72 hole execution based stroke play.

It doesn't have to be gimmicky. But possibly more match play, team golf, men and ladies on the same team one week. Golf has so many different formats and ways of playing, but we only ever see one type at the pro level the vast majority of the time.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it could be unobtrusive enough on the screen I'd like them to just keep a player's score and position displayed all the time instead of waiting for it to come up after their shot.

Took a while to get used to that in football coverage but now it would seem daft not to have it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
All of the above. I also find it tricky at times, when the flag is out, to see the hole on long putts. On those types of putts an imaginary flag would be useful to indicate where the hole is. This could be removed as the ball gets close to the hole and the camera zones in on the white of the cup.

Less about graphics but maybe having a microphone on a caddy would be really interesting. Perhaps in the way Sky do it with 20-20 cricket. They would have to choose when is appropriate to listen in but that would give a really good insight to the thoughts of a pro and their caddy at times.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To be honest you can only polish a turd for so long. And to make the game more exciting for viewers and draw more in, instead of worrying that much about introducing ever more fancy technical initiatives, the R&A and PGA should introduce a bit of variety now and then. Not every week by any means, but occasionally something instead of week after week after week of 72 hole execution based stroke play.

It doesn't have to be gimmicky. But possibly more match play, team golf, men and ladies on the same team one week. Golf has so many different formats and ways of playing, but we only ever see one type at the pro level the vast majority of the time.

Didn't Sky try 'Power Golf' or something? Definitely fell into the 'gimmicky' section though!

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Red button brings up Trackman mode with all the club speed data etc etc.. I would like optional shot tracer on every shot also. Aimpoint on putts as well.

That would be crackin. A trackman on every tee. Or on the red button for an alternative to Peter Alliss.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
All of the above. I also find it tricky at times, when the flag is out, to see the hole on long putts. On those types of putts an imaginary flag would be useful to indicate where the hole is. This could be removed as the ball gets close to the hole and the camera zones in on the white of the cup.

Less about graphics but maybe having a microphone on a caddy would be really interesting. Perhaps in the way Sky do it with 20-20 cricket. They would have to choose when is appropriate to listen in but that would give a really good insight to the thoughts of a pro and their caddy at times.

I was watching an old Shells Wonderful WOrld of Golf a while back, from years ago, and they had something similar, with a white circle around the cup. Made it a lot easier to see on long putts.