Golf not exciting...

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Perhaps exciting isn’t the way forward, more challenging.
I got really interested in golf having watched Lyle win at Royal St George’s.
They challenging conditions and course really made it interesting especially on a terrestrial tv channel.

I don’t see golf like that any more, far too sanitised.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never used to watch any golf back when I was only playing sporadically. Even now I only watch the majors. And I usually have a couple of quid on 4 or 5 players just to up the interest factor slightly. I enjoy watching it because as a golfer I appreciate the difficulty in the shots they are executing, but to try and watch every tournament would be very time-consuming. And I totally understand why someone who doesn't play would find it boring to watch.

I don't think the pace of play makes any difference to those watching on TV though. It's not as if you follow one group around, they just cut to different guys when they're about to it, so the time taken for a round is not really imparted upon us at all.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Trying to think of things to increase viewers numbers are at best a waste of time and at worst could destroy the game. No amount of tinkering around the edges will get those to watch who don't watch. You either enjoy the game and as a result watch it, or you don't.

I hate, in particular with sport, that powers to be are often considering what they can change to attract viewers. Leave the bleeding thing alone or you risk destroying the very basis of any sport

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
It does get boring watching dj bombing the ball and ripping these pga courses in perfect conditions to shreds I prefer watching them over here playing the links with the wind ect

This with bells on........after watching the home Opens recently, I have realised how boring and predictable the US PGA has become.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree, it is not the best watch, sort of thing I would have on in the background but I am in no hurry to subscribe to any of the various channels that have extensive coverage on.

Golf is one of those sports that, in my opinion, what you see on screen is not that fascinating unless you play and are aware of the skill that goes into a particular shot. When all you see, in general, are booming drives and putts going in, it does not really look that much of a challenge.

It all changes up on the last day and the action at the top of a leaderboard can bring about some excitement in the non golf enthusiast but having to watch 3 days before you see anything that resembles direct, head to head competition is too much for many.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
I watch very little GP stuff now.
It was on the TV once when I walked into the lounge and I had a vision I was watching scalectrix.

Now there's the thing... I am aware of several lads [and at least one girl] who have been inspired by watching F1 [on the box] and gone on to earn good livings in the motorsport industry... Via having participated in slot car [Scalextric] or radio controlled car racing... What might not blow up one mans dress [kilt] has done the exact opposite for others and in the long run they have benefited from it...

There's a perfect platform provided by TV coverage that I believe golf no longer benefits from where it has done in the past...

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
MegaSteve, I do not understand what exactly you mean. In what way does golf no longer benefit from where it has done in the past?

I took up the game in the late 80's along with many others [considered to be the boom time for golf] partly inspired by watching the game on the box mainly on the Beeb in them days... Take up of the game nowadays is quite limited in comparison as kids these days are [seemingly] time poor and when on TV the game comes across [and keeps highlighting in commentary] as being played at a snails pace... And, that, I feel, is having a detrimental effect...

Visit site
Ah! I understand. Good point re the youngsters. At my Club, there are NO youngsters playing, which is both remarkable and disgraceful.
There are a few in their 20s. For my part, I didn't begin playing golf until I was 51 at the turn of the Century, so I missed the 80s as far as golf is concerned. Our club is still full, but the age demographic leans towards mid 40 to late 50s.
As I stated earlier, I find almost all the golf exciting, more so the Majors, and if I was truthful, I may not be watching every American PGA Tour event as frequently as I once did.
Is it just the economic pressure on youngsters that is preventing them? It will be interesting to see if the present teenagers take up golf in their 30s or 40s.