Golf Monthly reviews - for real?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Very close performance wise to be honest, but that noise from the Slazenger was awful, reminded me of king cobra drivers from years ago, about as refined as tea on a saucer.

Nothing worse the yellow peril that was the Nike Sumo driver. Painful if you were in the next bay on the range or standing on the tee on the course. Horrible noise

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Dismissing a whole brand based on one driver which was hard to hit for an amateur and had next to no forgiveness outside the sweet spot seems a bit extreme - and it’s not the club that’s “rammel”

And what will a blog from a “slogger” like us show ? It won’t tell you the ability you can get from the driver , you need someone who can consistently hit the ball from the main part of the driver to show you what you can get from it - same with irons etc.

I have just gone through a full bag upgrade and I spent ages going through reviews of Drivers first of all , then from those reviews did a bit of quick testing at an AG range and then from that went for a fitting with the two main drivers I liked - and guess what it was the same two drivers that all the reviews where saying are the top two drivers of the year - a mid HC slogger wouldn’t have been able to tell me that

And the same with the irons - even more reviews I looked at and especially Neils reviews because I know he can hit a very good ball and low and behold he was spot on with his thinking

No one should ever buy a club from a review - they for me are their to help me look at other options

But the point phil is that TM were selling the adjustable driver and loft up was the future for more distance. At no point did they say it's not for an amatuer like me. In fact I was a target for said club. It was Rammel for me and al be jogged if they have another penny of mine. Yet the same rubbish swing from me can knock a G30 straight down the middle more consistently. Who taught me that, a qualified Ping fitter with a forgiving club.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
But the point phil is that TM were selling the adjustable driver and loft up was the future for more distance. At no point did they say it's not for an amatuer like me. In fact I was a target for said club. It was Rammel for me and al be jogged if they have another penny of mine. Yet the same rubbish swing from me can knock a G30 straight down the middle more consistently. Who taught me that, a qualified Ping fitter with a forgiving club.

This has now put me in a quandry about my own SLDR.

At the time I tested 4 or 5 of the drivers I could afford (around the £130) so it was basically year old models.

I liked the look of the SLDR and had bought into the reviews. The only other driver I remember hitting was the Callaway X (whatever it was) - which didn't feel right, although I have nothing against Callaway at all. I seem to remember it was heavy.

So I would be interested to hear more about your experience. Are you saying you need to his the SLDR out the middle to get any kind of performance from it?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I just won these Bobby Dazzlers on ebay, complete with Whitecraigs GC leather head covers!

Searched high and low but couldn't find a review for them anywhere so buying blind but hey, they've got to be longer than their previous offering haven't they?

Pirie Eric Brown.JPG

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi Big Matt here's some feedback from Neil ref the TaylorMade testing...

Good question… The equipment comparison where I noticed the biggest difference in performance was with the new M3 v previous generations of the M1. In my opinion, and I know that for many people this is not popular, the M3 is a significantly better driver. Let me explain. For me, all the launch monitor numbers were better – ball speed, launch, spin were better optimised despite using the same shaft, loft, golf ball etc. This equated to a big gain in distance. Now, a lot of people seem to be very sceptical about that but if you look at the launch monitor data on that video you will also notice that I only had to delete one shot from the batch I hit with the M3. Ultimately, I just felt much more comfortable with it - I was straighter, more in control of the clubhead and as a result, I am certain I started to swing the club faster.

As we said previously, this is human testing and a lot of it is subjective. For me, both the launch monitor numbers and the results in the flesh were better with the M3. I stand by that. The irony is that our video would almost certainly have had more likes, comments and shares if I’d said the opposite, but that simply wasn’t the case.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Neil - very interesting.

D

Deleted member 15344

Tashy - they are not going to tell you specifically that the driver isnt for you - thats not TM fault thats yours and your fitters fault for not comparing any results of the SLDR alongside others. I had a SLDR for years and worked very well for me where as i find the Ping drivers awful but that doesnt stop me ruling them out in the future based on one bad driver i didnt like - you should be pointing the finger of blame at the guy who fit you not the brand - golf brands dont make bad clubs you just need to find a club that suits and thats what reviews help do.

This has now put me in a quandry about my own SLDR.

At the time I tested 4 or 5 of the drivers I could afford (around the £130) so it was basically year old models.

I liked the look of the SLDR and had bought into the reviews. The only other driver I remember hitting was the Callaway X (whatever it was) - which didn't feel right, although I have nothing against Callaway at all. I seem to remember it was heavy.

So I would be interested to hear more about your experience. Are you saying you need to his the SLDR out the middle to get any kind of performance from it?

The SLDR is not a bad driver - far from it there are loads that have had it and played very well with it , it just wasnt the most forgiving out there , where as ping drivers are very forgiving. As with any club choice - try loads , read reviews and then get fitted properly and with a few comparisons.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think Neil raised a very good point which may have been overlooked. He said he was more comftable with new club, that it gave him confidence and from that he was able to swing faster, coupled with the increased forgiveness = longer drives. Confidence in your equipment is a massive factor even for the Pros. I can hammer my Callaway Utility 2iron as have full confidence with it. add in fitting to the new club and you must be able to see longer, more consistent drives. Reviews are great, but nothing beats testing it in real life.

D

Deleted member 21258

I just won these Bobby Dazzlers on ebay, complete with Whitecraigs GC leather head covers!

Searched high and low but couldn't find a review for them anywhere so buying blind but hey, they've got to be longer than their previous offering haven't they?

View attachment 24584

What a great name, Bobby Dazzlers:rofl:

Love reading your posts and the older clubs:cool:

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there a big gap in the market for a reviewer who gets an iron bryon machine and does testing with almost identical conditions.

Could test sweet spot, toe hits, heel hits, out to in, in to out, high/low on face, a range of swing speeds etc...

The biggest issue with any test results is the human hitting them.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Tashy - they are not going to tell you specifically that the driver isnt for you - thats not TM fault thats yours and your fitters fault for not comparing any results of the SLDR alongside others. I had a SLDR for years and worked very well for me where as i find the Ping drivers awful but that doesnt stop me ruling them out in the future based on one bad driver i didnt like - you should be pointing the finger of blame at the guy who fit you not the brand - golf brands dont make bad clubs you just need to find a club that suits and thats what reviews help do.

The SLDR is not a bad driver - far from it there are loads that have had it and played very well with it , it just wasnt the most forgiving out there , where as ping drivers are very forgiving. As with any club choice - try loads , read reviews and then get fitted properly and with a few comparisons.

I use a SLDR and I really like it. Now you have said it is not very forgiving that makes me think I'm either a better driver than I thought I was or perhaps I need to spend some serious sponds on a new big dog :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I use a SLDR and I really like it. Now you have said it is not very forgiving that makes me think I'm either a better driver than I thought I was or perhaps I need to spend some serious sponds on a new big dog :)

I hope you are not expecting us to talk you out of spending money on new shinies?? ;)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think Neil raised a very good point which may have been overlooked. He said he was more comftable with new club, that it gave him confidence and from that he was able to swing faster, coupled with the increased forgiveness = longer drives. Confidence in your equipment is a massive factor even for the Pros. I can hammer my Callaway Utility 2iron as have full confidence with it. add in fitting to the new club and you must be able to see longer, more consistent drives. Reviews are great, but nothing beats testing it in real life.

As then head size and CoR are maxed out, all that is really left is maintaining ball speed from off centre hits - or forgiveness!
As they take average distances hit on these tests, if off centre hits are going further because the lose less ball speed, then those distances are going up.
That's where the extra yardage is. I think we all know that if you manage to hit the middle of the bat there will be very little difference between most drivers from the last 3-4 years. It's in the extra yards from the missed hits that boost the averages.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Phil when I went for th fitting I tried out 2x Cobra, Ping and the SLDR, The standing joke was that I would end up with a Cobra coz half the club has one and the commission was more for a Cobra. The last bit being bus stop gossip.
during the fitting the distances for the SLDR were longer with some being a good bit longer ( would imagine these were outta the sweet spot)). However wayward drives dragged the averages back. The dispertion was not the best. The figures showing longer drives were magnetic. However, after a very short period of time my worst dropives were getting worse and worse. Standing on the tee not knowing where the ball was going was soul destroying.
It was when I mentioned about my problem and being asked to book in for another lesson, I thought sod that. At around the same time I got hold of a Ping G30 from Worksop GC.
When it came to getting measured for irons, I bust a gut to get up to Gainsboro Ping. I cannot praise them enough. I was fitted for the irons, then the fitter went through my woods. Even though I was happier with my G30, I had bought a tour shaft for pennies, dropped that into my G30 and got an extra 10 yds. With a better dispertion. First thoughts was I would be happier with another 10 yds from a new driver. It was eye opening seeing what a differant shaft could do.
I got a price for the irons, went back to my place who beat it so bought them from the shop.
Ironically, our pro was awarded England Ping fitter of the years last year. But I would still go back to Ping tomorrow

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Is there a big gap in the market for a reviewer who gets an iron bryon machine and does testing with almost identical conditions.

Could test sweet spot, toe hits, heel hits, out to in, in to out, high/low on face, a range of swing speeds etc...

I don't know how much one of these costs but, in reality, its the only way to really compare clubs head to head.
Reduce as many variables as possible.
How many times do you hear reviewers say mmm..didn't catch that one quite right, a bit heely or a bit toey, a bit high on the face, out of the bottom of the club....all that skews results. Get more quality strikes with one driver and your average is going to be better than a driver with fewer sweet spot hits.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

That's kind of what I was thinking. I feel better hitting the SLDR than I do my previous Cleveland driver, which I felt was much more prone to me slicing.

But now I'm intrigued to maybe try and source a second hand G30 at some point.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very interesting and I'm sure 100% on the money.

I also have a lot of faith in Taylor Made and tend to consider their clubs 1st, but I am not a serial club buyer.

My point would be that if you have a driver from 5 years ago and are going to spend £300+ to upgrade, purely to improve your game I would say that £300 would be better spent on lessons / short game membership / range balls etc. i.e. the gains from a club are marginal and your ability to play the shots are far more important.

But of course that's not as fun and for those with the money to do it, they will get enjoyment out of trying and buying new gear.

A lot of good points made.

A £300 upgrade on a driver every 3-5 years for a club golfer is pretty much the norm really. I believe the serial changers we see on this forum are pretty much a minority when you compare to the many club golfers across the country.

I upgraded to the Ping G400 from the Ping G30 I bought 3 years ago, will it improve my game? Almost certainly not but I wanted the new driver and believed the time right, similar to me replacing my car.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why would there be a bad review? There’s no “bad” equipment out there, there maybe products more suited to one person or another or equipment that does not perform as well as others, it doesn’t make it bad.

Find it disappointing anyone would actually question the integrity of the reviews.

Absolutely spot on.

I have recently tested the Mizuno ST180 as it was touted as being low spinning. It should certainly decrease the spin I put on the driver at present. I tested it and found that the best setup of shaft and head gave spin that was higher than my own driver. I later found the G400 Max gave spin

Surely that shows that the driver has to suit the player. That is why there are so many different ones on the market and each reviewer will have a 'perfect club". There is no way that GM can afford for a reviewer to be biased. They have to give a realistic view and modern clubs cannot be getting worse either- some may just not suit everyone.

Custom fitting is the answer.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
i have personally witnessed a magazine editor asking a well known you tube coach to "lean on that taylormade driver mate" during a shoot

I think I saw that review on YouTube if it was a certain from from the west midlands (at the time) region. The comparative swing speeds were on screen for about half a second but it was patently clear that that was the reason for the distance increase.

Hacker Khan

Visit site

Not really as all they would prove is that every club will go the same distance, give or take a yard or so, if it has the same loft and shaft. And I imagine that would get a it dull after a while.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Reviews of clubs on YouTube are entertainment, they are theatre, they are there to provide something entertaining to watch for 10 minutes. The best YouTube reviewers know this and they try and do something to keep your attention whilst they are reviewing them and try to find different ways of saying 'get fitted'.

The worst ones are still stuck in the past, review them by smashing them off a range mat and show lots of stats (that spoiler alert, are only ever relevant to the reviewer on that specific day), and buy into the myth that a new club will magically go 10 yards further than the previous ones.

Last edited: