Golf Monthly Prostate Cancer UK The Big Race - Donate To The Team!

Genu9

Visit site
This Saturday, 2nd April 'The Barry Kilby Prostate Cancer Appeal' is hosting a Prostate testing awareness session at Nelson Golf Club. BKPCA regularly hosts these sessions around the Burnley area and if it weren't for the generosity of Barry in contributing towards the cost of the testing a number of golfers would probalby not be playing today.

I'm new to the forum and I'm suprised that an almost completely male dominated forum isn't bringing the subject to the fore and keeping it in mens minds on a regular basis. Eighteen months since it was last the subject of discussion has probably meant it has gone undetected in quite a few men through lack of information. The BKPCA motto is 'Detect early, Survive Longer', something which I can attest to.

The more we talk about it the more lives we can potentially save. Get tested.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
This Saturday, 2nd April 'The Barry Kilby Prostate Cancer Appeal' is hosting a Prostate testing awareness session at Nelson Golf Club. BKPCA regularly hosts these sessions around the Burnley area and if it weren't for the generosity of Barry in contributing towards the cost of the testing a number of golfers would probalby not be playing today.

I'm new to the forum and I'm suprised that an almost completely male dominated forum isn't bringing the subject to the fore and keeping it in mens minds on a regular basis. Eighteen months since it was last the subject of discussion has probably meant it has gone undetected in quite a few men through lack of information. The BKPCA motto is 'Detect early, Survive Longer', something which I can attest to.

To be fair it's been talked about very recently as I am now 5 weeks post op myself from the robot doing its job. Others here have had the op too and we've talked about it with them too on here.

I do completely agree that the subject needs regular updating given that it's one of the biggest killers of men over 50 and I would urge anyone of that age, or above, to have a test done, and particularly, if there father or other family member has had prostate cancer or, also, if they are black, or having issues when peeing or getting up too many times for a pee in the night.

Good luck with your awareness session - I'd like to see them around all towns and cities and for the government to introduce testing for ALL men over 50

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

I am afraid that I have some issues with relying on PSA testing as a screening tool. Good quality clinical trial evidence shows that this is not an effective screening tool. It does identify people with high PSA who have prostate cancer, but some of those cancers are never going to have a detrimental effect on the patient and needed no intervention. It also mistakenly identifies people who have a high PSA but do not have prostate cancer and then these people go on to have additional investigations which can cause harm. Also, quite a few people with prostate cancer have normal PSA levels, so will be falsely reassured. It is debatable, and is often debated in medical circles, if these events save lives or not. The general view is that they do not.

The same situation basically applies to breast cancer screening, although now that is established and carries a lot of political weight, it will not be withdrawn.

As a doctor with epidemiology and public health training, this subject is more complex than presented, however well-intentioned. As a man of mature years, I will not be getting a PSA test done unless I have relevant symptoms as well.

Last edited:

Genu9

Visit site
To each their own opinion.

I'm more jealous of where you play. I was a member there before moving north 21 years ago. Fabulous course then, apparently much better now.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I am afraid that I have some issues with relying on PSA testing as a screening tool. Good quality clinical trial evidence shows that this is not an effective screening tool. It does identify people with high PSA who have prostate cancer, but some of those cancers are never going to have a detrimental effect on the patient and needed no intervention. It also mistakenly identifies people who have a high PSA but do not have prostate cancer and then these people go on to have additional investigations which can cause harm. Also, quite a few people with prostate cancer have normal PSA levels, so will be falsely reassured. It is debatable, and is often debated in medical circles, if these events save lives or not. The general view is that they do not.

The same situation basically applies to breast cancer screening, although now that is established and carries a lot of political weight, it will not be withdrawn.

As a doctor with epidemiology and public health training, this subject is more complex than presented, however well-intentioned. As a man of mature years, I will not be getting a PSA test done unless I have relevant symptoms as well.

I concur with Ethan. My dad has recently been diagnosed with it, having spread from his bowel and into his stomach lining, he’s stage 4 with no options. I had a check up a couple of weeks back and was told exactly what Ethan states. Even at 57, despite all the adverts on tv and radio, my doc suggests that because no other symptoms are present, I don’t need further checks for now.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
To each their own opinion.

I'm more jealous of where you play. I was a member there before moving north 21 years ago. Fabulous course then, apparently much better now.

Don't get me wrong. I am certain that the people supporting this strategy are entirely well motivated and sincerely believe in it and give their time freely for no reward.

But clinical data trumps opinion, and the data shows that this is a problematic approach.

I hope clear advice is given to people who attend that a negative test does not exclude the possibility of a cancer, because it really doesn't.

Let me give an example of how PSA works. Height by gender. Men are taller than women, approximately 5 inches. That is statistically proven to a p-value with many many zeros.

It does not follow, though, that you can predict someone's gender by height. Someone 5'10" tall is likely to be a man, but not necessarily. Someone 5'5" is likely to be a woman, based on probability. But you will get quite a few wrong in both directions. That is basically how PSA is used.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

I absolutely agree Ethan, I just wish there was a better test, generally, or at least in my case, the higher PSA led to a biopsy and they found one fairly benign cell, but kept checking mostly annually and then a new method of access to the prostate was found where they could sample round the back of the prostate where a more troublesome cancer was found and surgery was needed. Had they not found the initial cancer, one cell in 18 biopsies, I assume they would have kept on with PSA tests but I wouldn't have been put on the cancer pathway for 4 years and the new one may never have been found.

Genu9

Visit site
I absolutely agree Ethan, I just wish there was a better test, generally, or at least in my case, the higher PSA led to a biopsy and they found one fairly benign cell, but kept checking mostly annually and then a new method of access to the prostate was found where they could sample round the back of the prostate where a more troublesome cancer was found and surgery was needed. Had they not found the initial cancer, one cell in 18 biopsies, I assume they would have kept on with PSA tests but I wouldn't have been put on the cancer pathway for 4 years and the new one may never have been found.
So was the PSA was the trigger........? Certainly was in my case.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My GP surgery isn't interested in men's clinics. Plenty for women though. I emailed and asked if there's anything I should be doing at age 58 No reply.

I'd be inclined to say that I was having to get up 3 or 4 times in the night for a call of nature - a white lie that could be a life saver

Last edited:

Genu9

Visit site
Asking because my scan is Tuesday so I have an interest. PSA caused raised eyebrows and a quick shift to the krankenhouse.
My PSA went from 9.0 to 16.6 over three years, had two biopsies and a scan, after which I had Radiotherapy. After that it went down to 0.02 and over the last six years has stayed below 0.92. Early intervention worked for me, so far

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
So was the PSA was the trigger........? Certainly was in my case.

For me it was struggling to pee sometimes and the regular 3 or 4 times of getting up in the night that took me to the doctors. The PSA test then and a finger check suggested I needed biopsies and then I was on the cancer pathway for 4 years

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m very aware of the limitations of PSA screening, however, I had none of the traditional prostate cancer symptoms prior to my diagnosis last year. I was having scans and blood tests for other possible causes of the symptoms I was presenting, and my GP merely added PSA screening to the list for the sake of completeness. Of all the possible ailments I was concerned about, PCa was at the bottom of the list.

Thank goodness a borderline PSA of 4.1 prompted the very thorough GP at my practice to set me off on the cancer pathway. An MRI and biopsy later, and my cancer was confirmed. Stage 2, fortunately, and post surgery that diagnosis was ratified.

It’s difficult to know where to stand on this, but given my lack of symptoms the PSA screening was the only real clue - in my case an accurate one. So I’m firmly on the side of screening - regardless of the limitations. It has very possibly saved my skin.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I had an annual MRI scan but it never showed much especially as the 2 resurfaced hip bounced the light and degraded the scan quality

I understand PCa is very difficult to detect via an MRI until it is at least Stage 2, Chris.