Golf monthly head to head.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Sat here in the sunshine perusing golf monthly Nov issue, and reading the head to head utility irons locking horns. Page 86 and 87 and something strikes me as very odd.
Under the ball flight markings. The Srixon Z U85 quote, “you’ll also be able to hit higher shots off the deck with more spin that have a greater chance of stopping on the green”. For that the club is awarded 8 Marks.
Yet the club it is up against, Taylormade GAPR LO. “The lower spin means accurate centres strikes will run out further. And be stronger into the wind, but perhaps less easy to keep on the green from distance”. Yet this club gets 9 marks outta 10.
Now dont get me wrong. There is not a cat in hells chance of me hitting a driver as far as one of these clubs will go in the right hands. But surely hitting a green and holding especially from Distance is more important than it running out another 10 yds on a fairway. It may seem trivial and probably is. But in the head to head the overall score gives it to TM by 2 points. Yet for me this ( wrong) scoring has influenced the winner and anyone reading this would think TM is the better utility iron.
Thoughts and other opinions whilst i nip off-for another Chang appreciated.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I guess it depends on what you want the club to do for your game. If you regularly have long iron shots into greens, but have trouble getting long irons into the air because you lack the club head speed, then yes, the Srixon is probably the club of your choice. If on the other hand you struggle with hitting fairway woods off the deck to cover distance, then you might look for something like the GAPR-LO to take over that role. It is not a question of "better". It is a question of "better suited" to a specific function. In so far an overall head to head is a bit misleading.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Also, the GAPR LO is 17 or 18* I cant remember which.
Which Srixon is being tested is it like for like lofts as they have a range of lofts in a Utility iron?

I'm a Srixon man so will argue for Srixon all day long, but as others have said....if someone offers you £10 to write a good review and make their club the winner in a 'vs test' someone else offers £20 to do the same.... which would you pick?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My choice of 19 rescue is because I want maximise distance.

My choice of more lofted rescues is because I want be able to stop the ball on the green.

Horses for courses.

How high I hit them is more of factor of ball position for me.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One described as a utility iron to hit into greens and replace a hybrid and the other is aimed at being long off the tee.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
One described as a utility iron to hit into greens and replace a hybrid and the other is aimed at being long off the tee.
So why do a comparison gary. Why put them head to head. If thats the case then will the next review compare a driver to a three wood.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So why do a comparison gary. Why put them head to head. If thats the case then will the next review compare a driver to a three wood.

I suppose they are similar clubs and can be bought with the same or similar lofts. they can then point out the pros and cons of each club and let the consumer decide which club they want to do a certain job. you should probably take the scores with a pinch of salt.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve hit both and they’re different clubs.

The srixon is still an iron, and I can hit it just as long as the GAPR off the tee (actually further as the GAPR was down at 15° and the Srixon is 20°), but can manipulate the Srixon to go short and softer cause it’s an iron head not a hybrid.