Blades v GI. Something to Ponder

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I learnt many years ago that the best way to test which shafts suit you best is to fit a shaft in to identical heads ( I had 3 Taylormade TP 6 irons heads*) and test them in actual play on a course against each other.

Luckily where I play we have 9 hole course which is often relatively empty so this is quite easy to do.

When it comes to blades v CB (although I tend to go for smaller headed versions) it simply comes down to how well I am swinging having had both in the bag for long periods of time (at different times).

* I used to buy ex demo irons for this purpose

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I learnt many years ago that the best way to test which shafts suit you best is to fit a shaft in to identical heads ( I had 3 Taylormade TP 6 irons heads*) and test them in actual play on a course against each other.

Luckily where I play we have 9 hole course which is often relatively empty so this is quite easy to do.

When it comes to blades v CB (although I tend to go for smaller headed versions) it simply comes down to how well I am swinging having had both in the bag for long periods of time (at different times).

* I used to buy ex demo irons for this purpose
Yes, I have a few demo 6 irons in the garage, unfortunately I was making a commitment to going with something more forgiving, and so I bought the HMP brand new. The commitment lasted two weeks, the blades are back in the bag and the HMP will soon be sold.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, I have a few demo 6 irons in the garage, unfortunately I was making a commitment to going with something more forgiving, and so I bought the HMP brand new. The commitment lasted two weeks, the blades are back in the bag and the HMP will soon be sold.

One of the things I would add is that I did this at a time when it was easy to pick up ex demo irons cheaply. Each of the 3 TM TPs cost me just £10. Through the years I have bought many demo irons to try and just resold them without making a loss.

Last edited:

Ian_George

Visit site
8, been a low of 6. Putting and driving are my nemesis, irons and chipping my strength.
Then stop faffing around with different sets of irons and sort your putting and Driving out! And yeah, I know it's interesting, but it doesn't help your golf! I sold a couple of my 'spare' sets a while ago So of the 4 sets I still have, I only use 1! Still lots of Putters though! :rolleyes:

Putting (and probably Driving) can't bee too bad!

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I changed from my Ping i10 irons to some Reid Lockhart blades (similar year of manufacture) in August and went from 5.3 to 4.5 in 6 rounds. 5 of those scores in my best 8 from 20.

soles.jpg

backs.jpg