golf distance debate - your opinions wanted!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I really dont care what the winning score is, I just want to see good shots rewarded and bad shots punished and it not turn into just a putting contest

Courses are constantly trying to catch up to the pros again of late, so many hazards that were in play are now obsolete as they just bomb it over the top of them, many great course designs are just weak against the current distances, moving the odd tee back is a short term fix but not ideal. Getting to the point that 7500 yards par 70 is going to be standard, taking the pros game further and further away from the one the rest of us play. Distance has a part to play but should be a risk/reward basis!

Much rather see strong course design, well positioned hazards, graduated rough etc. The alternative is to limit the golf ball and bring a lot of great golf courses back into play at the pro level, sadly think that ship has long since sailed

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just completed the R&A/USGA survey and I'm a bit disappointed with its design/questions - can't see how they will get any useful many quantitative results as most Qs were qualitative.

I guess a cynic might take the view they can justify what the wanted as outcomes.

IMO opinion the Pro-tours are becoming a distant relative of the normal golfer's game. Their course are often wide open and the rough is better than many ordinary fairways. Spectators mean the 'lost' ball is not a deterrent to the Pro, hence the hit it and hope mentality.