Golf Course Played around the World

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

Now we all know the globe is littered with stunning golf courses but what’s the courses you have played that don’t feature in the Top 100 but you have enjoyed throughly either in the UK or anywhere in the world

For me being in the RAF for years I was taken to some far out places but managed to play on some remote courses

Falkland Islands - there is a Course around the airfield at MPA only a little 9 Hole , one down in Port Stanley - on a place with not much to do its was a good laugh

Outer Hebrides - worked at Benbecula so we used to have a laugh round the course on the airfield , also played one on South Uist which was very nice - I wish I played golf more often when I worked there

Also visited but didn’t play a course called the worst in golf - One Boat on Ascension Island - no grass and played on browns using a bit of AstroTurf which was the same as the Military Courses in Cyprus at TPMH, Episkopi and Aiya Nik

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
The only overseas course I have played is the The V Club in Lithuania and I loved it.

Hoping to go back there at some stage and give it a go with my own clubs rather their hire clubs

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Only played in France and South Africa outside of the UK/Ireland

Obviously loads back home in South Africa and only the 1 in France (Granville)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Outside the UK and Ireland.......I’ve played Aphrodite Hills a lot in Cyprus, Elea GC in Cyprus also.

Almenara, La Quinta and Royal Sotogrande in Malaga and Lopesan Meloneras in Gran Canaria.

Id like to head to Portugal at some point. Preferably tomorrow.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I literally can not recommend Wolf Creek enough just outside Vegas. There is no golf course like it in the world.

It regularly features in magazine as a must play before you die course. Photos do not do it justice

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played all over the world thanks to the RN. The one that sticks out the most is Gavea Golf and Country Club on the outskirts of Rio in Brazil. Not the longest course but is in an amazing location. I played the courses at the Falklands on the same trip. I seem to remember the club house at Stanley was two porta cabins joined together. I still have the cards somewhere. Also played most of the sand courses in the UAE and Bahrain when the only grass course was the emirates.

D

Deleted member 15344

Outside the UK and Ireland.......I’ve played Aphrodite Hills a lot in Cyprus, Elea GC in Cyprus also.

Almenara, La Quinta and Royal Sotogrande in Malaga and Lopesan Meloneras in Gran Canaria.

When I was first in Cyprus Aphrodite wasn’t there - just Secret Valley and one in the Mountains called Vikla which was full of snakes !

We came across Aphrodite by accident - when driving to Secret Valley from Epi somehow we took a wrong turning just after the Rock and ended going past this course that was just finishing being built - there were no houses around it and it looked strange with all the green inbetween the dust and rock. We walked into the clubhouse to check it out and only one person was there the manager - he invited us to come back on the day it was opening for a round which we did - and then on we managed to strike up a deal where we paid 100 Cypriot Pounds for a Fourball for anyone from our RAF Base - that worked well for a year or so but then some people as they do took the Mickey and it stopped - I expect it has changed since 2002/3 when I played it - just remember the big drives in the buggy and the par 3 across the valley. A couple of holes you can see Secret Valley GC below you

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played lots of golf worldwide.
LPGA Hills course Daytona Florida possibly the best of everything .
Not to expensive, $60/ I have paid $15 on golf now, easy to get tee time they love us brits.
If it’s your birthday The let you play for free. ID required.
Its got everything you need in a course.
I could play there for the rest of my days it’s that good.
Worth the trip if staying in Orlando!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played lots of golf worldwide.
LPGA Hills course Daytona Florida possibly the best of everything .
Not to expensive, $60/ I have paid $15 on golf now, easy to get tee time they love us brits.
If it’s your birthday The let you play for free. ID required.
Its got everything you need in a course.
I could play there for the rest of my days it’s that good.
Worth the trip if staying in Orlando!

We went in the clubhouse there and Angela Stanford held the door open for us. She refused a tip. :D

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
LP, did you ever go to Goose Bay (Newfoundland)? The course on the base had perfectly square greens of AstroTurf- laid on railway sleepers!!!! Not even the best pro v could stop on them if you pitched on the green!! And then you had the ridges to contend with when putting.😡

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Also visited but didn’t play a course called the worst in golf - One Boat on Ascension Island - no grass and played on browns using a bit of AstroTurf which was the same as the Military Courses in Cyprus at TPMH, Episkopi and Aiya Nik

Played there about 20 years ago
Oil on the greens :mad:

However, at the other end of the scale........Ramstein Air Base was a pleasure

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was first in Cyprus Aphrodite wasn’t there - just Secret Valley and one in the Mountains called Vikla which was full of snakes !

We came across Aphrodite by accident - when driving to Secret Valley from Epi somehow we took a wrong turning just after the Rock and ended going past this course that was just finishing being built - there were no houses around it and it looked strange with all the green inbetween the dust and rock. We walked into the clubhouse to check it out and only one person was there the manager - he invited us to come back on the day it was opening for a round which we did - and then on we managed to strike up a deal where we paid 100 Cypriot Pounds for a Fourball for anyone from our RAF Base - that worked well for a year or so but then some people as they do took the Mickey and it stopped - I expect it has changed since 2002/3 when I played it - just remember the big drives in the buggy and the par 3 across the valley. A couple of holes you can see Secret Valley GC below you

It will have changed loads since you last played it. They've just revamped every green and green complex at a cost of 3M euro. Place stinks of money now. Secret Valley has changed aswell. The old front 9 is no more (ATM), there is a new back 9 now. I love it, so so tight.

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

What did you think of Aphrodite Hills? I stayed there in September but didn't play it, it looked lovely. I played Secret Valley instead.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Played throughout the UK and Ireland, in each case because that's where I was living at the time. Then Hardelot and Le Touquet in France. Quite a number in Spain before sampling Portugal, and now doing Spain again.

My favourite in Portugal is the Old Course, Vilamoura. I loved the smaller of the 3 courses at La Manga. It used to be a 9 hole but has since been extended to 18 holes.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Now we all know the globe is littered with stunning golf courses but what’s the courses you have played that don’t feature in the Top 100 but you have enjoyed throughly either in the UK or anywhere in the world

For me being in the RAF for years I was taken to some far out places but managed to play on some remote courses

Falkland Islands - there is a Course around the airfield at MPA only a little 9 Hole , one down in Port Stanley - on a place with not much to do its was a good laugh

Outer Hebrides - worked at Benbecula so we used to have a laugh round the course on the airfield , also played one on South Uist which was very nice - I wish I played golf more often when I worked there

didn't you once say you started playing in 2009?