Golf Course Played around the World

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Never realised how gifted NZ was for great courses - though there was a certain lefty who (quietly) did his best to promote the game!

Went back to Christchurch for 'last chance to see' my parents, many years ago. Put my green fee in the honesty box (it was 7:30) before the round (and jet-lag sleep) at Russley, but played most other days at the 'just opened' Clearwater - and once at (Alistair McKenzie design) Christchurch. Didn't get up to play the stunning (superstar) ones, but the overall quality seemed very high.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I could real off a hole list courses out here where I live, all within 3 hours of Myrtle Beach so they make good fill in courses for any trips to the expensive ones there. They are as good as any of the big name courses, just don't have the big name to go with it.

Stoney Creek - they are currently putting in ultra dwarf bermuda USGA spec tour greens, like Sawgrass did last year. (maybe biased as this is my club)
Shaftesbury Glen
Macgregor downs
Grovesnor country club

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Have played a couple of not particularly great ones in the US, some good ones in France and Portugal, and some good ones in Japan. Belle Dune in France is one of my favourites, it is quite scenic and I love playing through the dunes. Playing golf in Japan is probable the best golf experience though, and playing at Suzuki Cars own private course with Mr. Suzuki was probably the ultimate.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Heritage GC, if I only got to play one course (I’d already played) for the rest of my days, this would be it

But special mention for Ile Aux Cerf… what’s not to enjoy, it’s on its own freakin tropical island and I’ve always really enjoyed this course (except for my score the very first time!)
ile-aux-cerfs.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I played Nuwara Eliya up in the hills in Sri Lanka (I was told it was built by Scots late 19th C when we had a hill station up there) when on honeymoon, the very new Mrs SILH walked the course as I played. As we were to be heading off from the hotel at 9:30am I had to tee off at 6am. They opened the clubhouse for me so that I could choose clubs and get a caddy, and off we went - 6am - just the two of us (plus a wizened old caddy) on our own on the course up in the hills. Splendid.

https://nuwaraeliyagolfclub.com/

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I've been very lucky. In addition to European trips, I've played in America , east and west coasts, Hawaii too. South Africa, Australia and Mexico. Still lots left to play!

My cousin's daughter had her wedding at Bonville GC in Auz, , great excuse for a game the day after. The ceremony was in front of the 1st tee. I guess last game went off at 1-30, then they were out with canopy and chairs! 2-30 wedding! Superb course!

Sun City was great, as is playing along the Cape... quite cheap once you get there!

Mind you, still love the Quinta do Lago area of the good old Algarve. I think San Lorenzo and the QdL courses are great fun.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played a few times in Florida, the usual suspects, Falcon's Fire, Southern Dunes, Celebration, Mystic Dunes etc, but the one with most kudos has to be Lake Nona

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
About 30yrs ago on holiday in California I had a tee time available for me to play Pebble Beach - but my girlfriend of the time would not let me play as the green free of $100 plus club hire would be two days holiday budget (we had $60/day to spend). As compensation she took my picture standing beside the 18th Green. Just as well I married the girl.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
About 30yrs ago on holiday in California I had a tee time available for me to play Pebble Beach - but my girlfriend of the time would not let me play as the green free of $100 plus club hire would be two days holiday budget (we had $60/day to spend). As compensation she took my picture standing beside the 18th Green. Just as well I married the girl.

Any regrets :D

D

Deleted member 15344

I could guarantee that both you and the other Walter Mitty would pipe up

Been explained enough times to you but guess it struggles to go inside the head

But I’ll give you a history of my golf so that you remember for next time

I first picked up a golf I think when in a field outside RAF Buchan my mates were hitting a ball about - I was around 12 - I had a hit and ended up putting a ball through a window got a right rollicking including slipper but the person whose window I hit played golf and took me for a game because I apparently hit it well - he was a member of Cruden Bay so we played there - can’t really remember anything. Didn’t play again until when I was posted to RAF Oakhanger the cricket team had a golf day out - went along to some course near Farnborough Airport , can’t remember much else apart. Then when I was posted to Benbecula I had a couple rounds with the PTI when we were bored , Then in 2001 the guy I lived with in Cyprus played golf - he took me for a round at Episkopi with a plastic mat - think I played in total 6 rounds out there and then in 2008 after playing a hockey society I was told that maybe I should play golf as I played pretty well and I was giving up hockey. So in that April after the hockey season finished I was invited to join the local - I did , played three rounds and was given a HC of 24 and away I went

Played Falklands in 2010 and lots of other courses whilst still in the RAF until 5 years ago

So up until 2008 I reckon I had 10/12 rounds of golf in about 25 years so for me I started playing golf properly in 2008 when I joined a club and gained a HC - if that doesn’t satisfy your obsessive need about me and especially my HC and scores then the only person with the problem is you. Blimey rick and everyone were right about you

It’s a thread asking for people’s own expirences about golf courses around the world - not a thread for you to carry on a personal grudge. You could have even droned on about how great nNairn is and one again your wearing shorts and it would have a least added something

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 1156

There are some fabulous courses in South Africa that don't really hit the headlines. Best one under the radar that I've played is Pinnacle Point which was quite simply stunning. Similar to the holes at Pebble Beach that are by the sea but PP has sea views on all 18 holes. I can't remember the green fee but it was certainly less than £50.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I could guarantee that both you and the other Walter Mitty would pipe up

Been explained enough times to you but guess it struggles to go inside the head

But I’ll give you a history of my golf so that you remember for next time

I first picked up a golf I think when in a field outside RAF Buchan my mates were hitting a ball about - I was around 12 - I had a hit and ended up putting a ball through a window got a right rollicking including slipper but the person whose window I hit played golf and took me for a game because I apparently hit it well - he was a member of Cruden Bay so we played there - can’t really remember anything. Didn’t play again until when I was posted to RAF Oakhanger the cricket team had a golf day out - went along to some course near Farnborough Airport , can’t remember much else apart. Then when I was posted to Benbecula I had a couple rounds with the PTI when we were bored , Then in 2001 the guy I lived with in Cyprus played golf - he took me for a round at Episkopi with a plastic mat - think I played in total 6 rounds out there and then in 2008 after playing a hockey society I was told that maybe I should play golf as I played pretty well and I was giving up hockey. So in that April after the hockey season finished I was invited to join the local - I did , played three rounds and was given a HC of 24 and away I went

Played Falklands in 2010 and lots of other courses whilst still in the RAF until 5 years ago

So up until 2008 I reckon I had 10/12 rounds of golf in about 25 years so for me I started playing golf properly in 2008 when I joined a club and gained a HC - if that doesn’t satisfy your obsessive need about me and especially my HC and scores then the only person with the problem is you. Blimey rick and everyone were right about you

It’s a thread asking for people’s own expirences about golf courses around the world - not a thread for you to carry on a personal grudge. You could have even droned on about how great nNairn is and one again your wearing shorts and it would have a least added something

so what you are saying is you played for years many times around the world, but don't count those as you were not a member of a club or had a handicap. No wonder people are saying golf is in decline... nomads and people without handicaps don't count as playing then.:rofl::rofl:

so you weren't trying to be billy big balls in that other tread and look at how well i've progressed as i only started when i was 36 ect etc etc?

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Played a few times in Florida, the usual suspects, Falcon's Fire, Southern Dunes, Celebration, Mystic Dunes etc, but the one with most kudos has to be Lake Nona

Never played Lake Nona (always assumed it was a private closed shop ) . But played ever one of the others you mentioned . Celebration is probably the only top quality one out of them . The condition of the others let’s them down . Mystic Dunes had the potential to be an outstanding course but they’ve let it go to crap .