Golf Course Played around the World

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I was first in Cyprus Aphrodite wasn’t there - just Secret Valley and one in the Mountains called Vikla which was full of snakes !

We came across Aphrodite by accident - when driving to Secret Valley from Epi somehow we took a wrong turning just after the Rock and ended going past this course that was just finishing being built - there were no houses around it and it looked strange with all the green inbetween the dust and rock. We walked into the clubhouse to check it out and only one person was there the manager - he invited us to come back on the day it was opening for a round which we did - and then on we managed to strike up a deal where we paid 100 Cypriot Pounds for a Fourball for anyone from our RAF Base - that worked well for a year or so but then some people as they do took the Mickey and it stopped - I expect it has changed since 2002/3 when I played it - just remember the big drives in the buggy and the par 3 across the valley. A couple of holes you can see Secret Valley GC below you

I have never played Secret Valley mate, although I have had lunch there a few times.

Aphrodite Hills was where I got married and we have been back a few times since. It used to be an Intercontinental hotel but Thomsons have took it over and its now one of their Sensatori resorts. Equally though the villas you can hire privately are awesome. The head pro there (Danny Heard) is a really great guy and I've got to know him over the years. Often I'd jump on the twilight deals , or I've made a few holiday friends and we've had a game. 7 and 8 are obviously the spectacular holes across and then along the canyon, but the course itself is great. They re-laid all the greens last year so it'll be even better now. I just hope they don't hike up the price !

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I love the design of the course . It’s very unlike your typical Floridian course . Waste areas over water . Water really only comes into play on the 2nd hole . The 10th hole from the eye is stunning . When I first played it I loved the place . The last few years it’s went to pot . Last time I played it quite a number of the greens looked like that way a tennis ball goes after 20years which is a shame as it has the potential to be a very good course in the right hands .

A shame because I enjoyed my one and only game there. Maybe there are just too many courses in that area of Florida that want to be of a higher class. Unfortunately there isn’t enough footfall though.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Monte Mayor, both beautiful, quiet and challenging ....................... RIP.

Looks like it may be opening again.

http://montemayorgolf.club/

Not sure when this was put up but when I was in Portugal last year I was told that it had been purchased by some South Americans and would be opening again.

Really challenging course and I loved it but not everyone's cup of tea.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks like it may be opening again.

http://montemayorgolf.club/

Not sure when this was put up but when I was in Portugal last year I was told that it had been purchased by some South Americans and would be opening again.

Really challenging course and I loved it but not everyone's cup of tea.

That's awesome, but I'd heard it had been bought by Russians!
The plot thickens.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is great news if it pans out! Has made my evening :thup:

My mate played the Marbella Club next door a couple of years ago and sent me some pics that he took of MM and it wasn't recognisable as a golf course. Quite a lot of work and money needed to get it up and running again.