Golf Course Played around the World

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15717

I have only slummed it aborad and played in Dubai and Abu Dhabi

Dubai Creek is a great knock. First couple of holes are inocuous, but once into the round there are some great golf holes.
Emirates Majlis and Jumeirah Earth hold ET events, so that's all that needs to be said, as does Abu Dhabi GC.

The sister course at Emirates is also a very good knock. Only played it under full floodlights, and it is great. I am sure it would be the same in the daytime too

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Didnt play the course but had a good look at Ceann Sibeal at the far end of the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland. The course wont ever make a top 100 list but its setting is truly stunning, surrounded by hills / mountains in the Gaeltacht (Irish speaking region) part of the peninsula. Majestic and wild. I will return one day and make sure I play there!

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never played Lake Nona (always assumed it was a private closed shop ) . But played ever one of the others you mentioned . Celebration is probably the only top quality one out of them . The condition of the others let’s them down . Mystic Dunes had the potential to be an outstanding course but they’ve let it go to crap .

I was lucky to get on to Nona, had a friend /client who had a house on the site. He stayed out there a few months a year and invited me for a game when we were on holiday. That is the only way to get a game I believe. He has sold up now but was staying next door to G mac and just round the corner from Poults. Not a bad street to stay in.

Have to agree about Mystic Dunes, played it a couple of times and unlikely to be back.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was in the RN for 23 years and played golf for most of that time so I was lucky enough to play all over the world. Also travel for work now which has helped a bit too.

Some favourites are

Emirates GC (Majalis)
Dubai Creek
Kennedy Bay (Perth Aus)
Sentosa GC (Singapore)
Arabella (Capetown)
TPC Scottsdale
Valderrama

Also played what they told us was the world's remotest golf course on St Helena. It is the remotest as there is no airport on the island so the only way to get there is by boat from Capetown (about 2 weeks).

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Plenty on the costa del sol, Florida palaka area, LA, Hawaii main island muni, Austrialia @ Joondalup with the Kangeroos, Cuba, Dom repulic.

travel bag had plenty of use in 2005 ROW trip :)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
My stand out one would be Arrowtown in New Zealand, just a lovely quirky course in stunning scenery, others out there would be Wanaka, Hanmer, Terrace Downes, Clearwater and Shirley.

Las Colinas in Spain

Crans sur Sierre in Switzerland

Rebetz in France

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Never played Lake Nona (always assumed it was a private closed shop ) . But played ever one of the others you mentioned . Celebration is probably the only top quality one out of them . The condition of the others let’s them down . Mystic Dunes had the potential to be an outstanding course but they’ve let it go to crap .
Played Southern Dunes in November it was fantastic .
greens been replaced as they were diseased last year.
So much better than Celabration as Thats always wet.

Had a invitation to play Lake Nona in charity event ,but it was the day after we flew home was gutted.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was lucky to get on to Nona, had a friend /client who had a house on the site. He stayed out there a few months a year and invited me for a game when we were on holiday. That is the only way to get a game I believe. He has sold up now but was staying next door to G mac and just round the corner from Poults. Not a bad street to stay in.

Have to agree about Mystic Dunes, played it a couple of times and unlikely to be back.

I played Mystic Dunes back in 2003 and it was pretty good then.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My global and indeed UK championship course golf has been very limited - simple finances...

I read with some gloominess - but not envy or jealousy - the lists of great courses some have played. Until last year my list of overseas golf comprised - in total - Vilamoura Old and New (of 30yrs ago); Quita do Lago; Nuwara Eliya (Sri Lanka); Orient Forest (France Champagne Region - came with the hotel). Last year I was fortunate to be able to add The Emirates Faldo and Dubai Jebel Ali. And that is it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

I think I am really poorly travelled considering I have played over 500 courses.

I have only played in

Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Alabama

Norway
Germany
France

Turkey is on my list to do along with Bulgaria.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think I am really poorly travelled considering I have played over 500 courses.

I have only played in

Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
North Carolina
Alabama

Norway
Germany
France

Turkey is on my list to do along with Bulgaria.

Bit longer than my list of:

France
Dubai
Sri Lanka
Portugal

However - with children now becoming independent (they are 22 and 25 after all); Mrs SILH retiring next year; and finances improving for other reasons - I'm hoping to expand my playing experience home and abroad in the coming 5 years.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
An unexpected golf destination was Buenos Aires. Very enjoyable, some superb courses, and a fair bit of Argentine tango thrown in too. Other than that, a goodly bit of florida golf, based around Sarasota, a bit of Portugal, some golf around Cape Town, and Celtic Manor, Wales being a foreign country to me.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I must say that the comment on Traigh being a course with a great view are correct but as you can imagine, I love Isle of Harris GC and Outer Hebrides. Roll on August!! You cannot beat the view of Scarista beach in the sun. You just cannot guarantee the sun much.

My wanderings have taken me to Shetland, Orkney, Spain, Cyprus, Canada (Jasper and two on Newfoundland and two on Vancouver Island), France - Belle Dune is superb, Germany and the most remote was Nuuk in Greenland - grass in between rocky outcrops.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Didnt play the course but had a good look at Ceann Sibeal at the far end of the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland. The course wont ever make a top 100 list but its setting is truly stunning, surrounded by hills / mountains in the Gaeltacht (Irish speaking region) part of the peninsula. Majestic and wild. I will return one day and make sure I play there!

Played there in October 2016 was a cracking course not overly difficult but in fantastic condition ,a bit of a drive from Killarney to get there but worth, played Dooks, Tralee and Waterville on the same trip a great place to go golfing

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
Played Southern Dunes in November it was fantastic .
greens been replaced as they were diseased last year.
So much better than Celabration as Thats always wet.

Had a invitation to play Lake Nona in charity event ,but it was the day after we flew home was gutted.

I play Celebration in July every year ( rainy season) and can’t say I’ve ever experienced any drainage issues. This year was the first time I’ve played it and it’s been cart path only and even then I couldn’t figure out why as the ground wasn’t that soft . Falcons Fire in the other hand can be like a quagmire in certain places .

GMC1981

Club Champion
Visit site
I played Mystic Dunes back in 2003 and it was pretty good then.

I love the design of the course . It’s very unlike your typical Floridian course . Waste areas over water . Water really only comes into play on the 2nd hole . The 10th hole from the eye is stunning . When I first played it I loved the place . The last few years it’s went to pot . Last time I played it quite a number of the greens looked like that way a tennis ball goes after 20years which is a shame as it has the potential to be a very good course in the right hands .